Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Pairs SEMI-FINAL

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by allezfred, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2012.
  1. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

43 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Shen & Zhao

60 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Savchenko & Szolkowy

95 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

2. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Berehnaya & Sikharulidze. Did they deserve to win Gold in 2002? Yes. But had they not made crucial mistakes that allowed the media to engineer a scandal they would be the unanimous champions. Thus it is time they went.

All for Shen & Zhao taking this and very happy for the Germans to be runner-ups. And o.o I can't believe Shen & Zhao is losing this.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Personally I find Savchenko and Szolkowy to be more interesting than Shen and Zhao and I'll be voting for the Chinese pair despite their huge medal count over the years.
  4. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Savchenko and Szolkowy should win this. All their elements are amazing ( except maybe twist ) and have had some truly amazing and innovative programs that will never be forgotten. Like their "send in the clowns" short program and their " Pink Panther" long. JUST BRILLIANT
  5. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Are you freaking kidding me? Shen and Zhao should finish first, not third.
  6. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I really like S&S but I'll vote for them in this round.
  7. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

S/S are still in the list :eek: :rofl:
  8. Kunstrijdster

Kunstrijdster New Member

S/S's main and maybe only weakness is their consistency. And for such a top pair their glitches are often quite memorable. But even with more consistency it did never feel like they could have set themselves up as the really dominant pair and with decent competition will never run away with a title.

That said, I'll try to vote them into the great finale based upon their ever changing and ever interesting body of work. :D
  9. TID

TID New Member

I'll go with S/S this round. IMO, they lack the connection with each other that B/S and S/Z have. They always leave me the impression that two beautiful individual skaters(especially her) are skating together.
  10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

That's why I voted for them. I like them, a lot. But I see no real connection.
  11. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

....It was difficult to vote, I love all Three pairs! :wuzrobbed
  12. casken

casken Well-Known Member

What I said last round.

Shen and Zhao

Technique > Emotion.
  13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

If there's decent competition in skating (or any sport) no one will run away with any title.

I feel S/S have just as much connection as any pairs skaters but I always have felt as if Elena B always had somewhere else she would have rather been. She always had a vacant look on her face like she was bored.
  14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze > Shen & Zhou > Savchenko & Szolkowy without even the slighest bit of doubt IMO. S&S are very good but capatilized on a really weak pairs era with no competition. When an old past their prime Shen & Zhou who werent even skating clean long programs anymore returned, they immediately stopped winning. S&Z are great but only dominated after B&S and S&P retired, and even then only really dominated when Totmianina & Marinin werent around. B&S had consistency problems, and were victimized by the over the top political push for S&P for awhile, but they are truly one of the top 3 pairs teams of all time IMO and a class above he other two.

On another note funny the heat B&S take for being supposably inconsistent, when most of their errors their final couple competitive seasons were minor ones (exagerrated by TPTB in an attempt to build up S&P) while S&S who rarely get through a competition without a huge crash get a free pass by comparision.
  15. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Really haven't kept up with the polls, but as much as I love Shen & Zhou, the skating of B & S is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Nothing these days compares, in my opinion. I know people rave about S & S today, but I miss the pre-2002 pairs.
  16. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

While ITA with your ranking, I don't agree with your reasoning. Both S&Z and B&S were superior teams who let lesser teams T&M and S&P (both long gone from poll) sneak in for wins when they faltered. S&Z were very injured and Torino still break my heart. It's completely unfair to dismiss S&Z for lack of dominance while propping up B&S by claiming unfair political pull. B&S are better skaters than S&Z. Thats all, no need for twisted facts or off-ice type justifications.
  17. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I think S/Z are completely overrated - they were a very good team but I never got the fuss about them. I don't even think they should have won their Olympic title :slinkaway But I do think the one thing they did have was pretty good consistency - which sadly S/S and B/S lacked.
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  18. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I have an irrational dislike of S/S.
  19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for S/S because of their consistency issues and their lack of an Olympic Gold medal. I think I'm going to vote for S/Z eventually to win because they have Olympic medals from three different Olympics, while B/S have only two and their gold was highly disputed. I also feel they had consistency issues as well.
  20. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yep. It's sorta ridiculous just how good B/S actually were. I love S/S too. S/Z have enough flaws that they got my vote, but as long as B/S win, I don't really care who's in second.
  21. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

one question, though why were Gordeeva/Grinkov not on the poll list
    was it because they are locks to win like Kwan, Yagudin and Grischuk/Platov
    no fair ! :shuffle:
  22. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Only 12 options are allowed in a poll, so the original poster selected the previous 12 world or olympic champions, and G&G were just outside that range. They are included in the other poll on this forum ranking pairs Olympic champions only.
  23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think that Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze had the best short program of all time. It was amazing.
  24. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

It's a tough vote because I love all three remaining pairs for very different reasons. I just can't vote for B&S because I think they're the best. Purest skating skills, speed, great technique (except possibly the crashy twists that crept in towards the end of their career).

Which leaves S&Z and S&S and I didn't know who to pick. Sentimentally I love S&Z, I love the way they finally put effort into the presentation and stopped trying the throw quad. They really made great emotional connections with the audience when they skated.

S&S I just love because they have great technique and at the same time have come up with really interesting ideas and execution for their programmes - things we really haven't seen before and intersting music choices.

In the end I picked S&Z to go just because B&S are untouchable for me, and right now I love S&S and can't wait to see what else they will do.
  25. shady82

shady82 New Member

I think S/S should be voted out without a second thought, and I can't believe people want to vote S/Z out right now. S/S have such major inconsistency problems, and were only able to dominate because the other pairs simply weren't World Champion material during the last quadrennial. I love S/S and think the overall skating quality is comparable with the other two pairs here, but they're just way too inconsistent.

S/Z revolutionized pairs skating by introducing big throws and twists, which led other pairs to follow suit. They produced arguably the three best pairs LPs in major competition during the 2000-2010 decade:

2003 Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cz6r2XE8N0
    2004 GPF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRfNDX3kI&feature=related
    2005 GPF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUQKM7c1kg&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL240C9E501523544B

I don't get how anyone who has seen these programs can think they can be any lower than 2nd. They combined their huge throws and twists that got their attention early on with some of the most compelling pairs programs of all time.

And while B/S may have superior basic skating and execution of some elements such as spins, they too had major consistency problems. How often did they skate two clean programs in major competition?
  26. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

I find S/S's 2007+2008 Euros or 2011 GPF LPs to be superior to anything S/Z have done. As much as I like S/Z but they have been way less versatile in their programmes and had choreography that often was based on the combination of big tricks to bombastic music neglecting intricacy.
    S/S have obviously had their share of mistakes -but I believe it was largely due to Ingo insisting on many details and permanently pushing them out of their comfort zone. You'll notice that their 2010/11 season when they had toned down on transitions and just went for a fun programme has been very consistent .
  27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Did S&S ever beat S&Z? I don't think so, at least not at the big comps.
  28. TID

TID New Member

Yeah, actually S/S never beat S/Z....
  29. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

S/Z and S/S only competed against each other 6 times. The first was at the Winter Olympics 06; S/Z had already been together for 13 seasons, for S/S it as only their 2nd full season together. No brainer. One would win bronze and one would get sixth. The next season (06-07) they met 3 times. At the Cup of China S/Z won to S/S third, at the GPF S/Z won to S/S silver and at Worlds 07, S/Z won to S/S bronze. S/Z had just finished their 14th season together and retired and S/S just finished their third.

After 2 seasons off S/Z came back-obviously seeing the podium of S/S, Z/Z ad K/S (and P/T) and feeling with two years off they may have a shot at another medal if not a gold.

S/Z and S/S met two more time at the GPF where S/S got bronze to S/Z gold and the Olympics with the same result.

S/Z never met S/S as their equals because S/Z had such a head start on their training, maybe if S/S had been a pair since 92 it would have been a different story but you can't possible compare a team who had been together for almost 3 times longer than the other one, it's ridiculous. I have already explained my position ad nauseam on why S/S had such a bad Olympic year, but comparing the two is still comparing apples to oranges.
  30. kapriza

kapriza Member

wow, they're going head to head for now.
  31. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

What an exciting round! :D