Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Pairs ROUND 6

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by allezfred, Jul 14, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2012.
  1. Kovarikova & Novotny

91 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Kazakova & Dmitriev

12 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Shen & Zhao

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Totmianina & Marinin

9 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Pang & Tong

34 vote(s)
    22.4%
  7. Savchenko & Szolkowy

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

2. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Kovarikova & Novotny were a really sweet pair but I'll vote for them now.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Pang & Tong. They skate with emotion and chemistry, but they dont have amazing choreography or programs, they are sloppy as heck, their consistency is horrible, and they dont have the technical power or quality in the big tricks of other Chinese pairs like Shen & Zhou and the much maligned Zhangs, or even Sui & Han. They also werent that huge a force most of their careers. They were dominated by the Zhangs the 2005-2009 period, they were never competitive with Shen & Zhou, and they have 0 head to head wins over Shen & Zhou or Totmianina & Marinin, and they usually needed mistakes by the Zhangs, Petrova & Tikhonov, or Savchenko & Szolkowy to have a hope of beating them.

I know Kovarikova & Novotny will go this round but it should be Pang & Tong. Kovarikova & Novotny skated in a much tougher pairs era and their artistry and polish is so much better.

4. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I disagree about Pang & Tong. IMO their 2010 Olympic programs were amazing, and choreographically comparable to anything Totmianina & Marinin did, although T&M are overall a superior pair. They may not have the technical power of S&Z and Z&Z, but their throws and twists are still bigger than those of most other pairs.

Even if the Zhangs dominated P&T from 2005-2009, they shouldn't have. The Zhangs were usually overmarked throughout that era. Pang & Tong were at a disadvantage to Petrova & Tikhonov from 04-05 and 05-06, true. But Pang & Tong in 09-10 were far stronger than Petrova & Tikhonov ever were.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Pang & Tong. I can still remember Kovarikova & Novotny's choreography that I haven't watched on youtube in several years better than I can remember Pang & Tong's from this year or last. And I feel like they haven't rotated a clean sbs triple since 2010.

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I agree about the Zhangs. I think the Olympic podium in '06 should have been T&M, S&Z, then P&T, with no Zhangs on the podium at all obviously. I think they sort of got the sympathy vote for her huge fall on the quad throw.

Btw, voting for Kovarikova and Novotny.

7. judgejudy27

I agree Pang & Tong deserved a medal at the 06 Olympics, probably silver in fact. I also agree the Zhangs were overmarked vs them for awhile. I also agree they are probably a stronger overall team than the Zhangs. However my main point was the Zhangs atleast had things they were spectacular in like twists, throws, side by side jumps, and Pang & Tong IMO have no area they are exceptional, while having glaring weaknesses as well.

8. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

I watched again K&N videos for the purpose of this game and Ive already forgottem them, really:blah: while I still love lots of P&T program so to each his own I guess..:D

9. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

Not a fan of P&T, but I thought they should have won in Vancouver. IMO, S/Z's "legendary" status boosted their scores and P/T actually had the better and cleaner programmes.

10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

This^

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think that their SP was quite undermarked in that comp. They shouldn't have been five points back.

I think that they should beat KN and maybe Kazakova and Dmitriev

12. judgejudy27

I agree Pang & Tong were robbed of winning the gold in Vancouver but for the sake of the sport I am also glad they didnt.

13. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

voting K&N for the 3rd time in a row. I suspect one reason why they are still here is most people can't even remember who they were. :p

14. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

This.

15. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I agree with you, I'm so glad S/Z won Olympic gold. Then again, I personally thought it could go either way.