Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Pairs Round 1 Reloaded

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by allezfred, Jun 13, 2012.

?

Who was the weakest link?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2012.
  1. Shishkova & Naumov

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Kovarikova & Novotny

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Eltsova & Bushkov

62 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Woetzel & Steuer

23 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. Kazakova & Dmitriev

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Petrova & Tikhonov

14 vote(s)
    8.4%
  8. Sale & Pelletier

31 vote(s)
    18.7%
  9. Shen & Zhao

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Totmianina & Marinin

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  11. Pang & Tong

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  12. Savchenko & Szolkowy

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. :p

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  2. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Woetzel & Steuer. Ewww. BTW I hope the Canadians are elimated early and some patriotic Canadian comes in to defend them.

3. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Gotta go with Eltsova/Bushkov, the skating equivalent of Kristin Stewart's "acting" face...

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

V&T was so close to making this poll, twice...

5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

E/B were so blah!! Out!!

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I'm voting for Pang & Tong until they go. All of their programs except the 2010 LP were completely interchangeable to me.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Woetzel & Steuer by a landslide. Eltsova & Bushkov atleast did the technical elements properly and well.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:wall:

:p

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I never realized people disliked them so much considering Steuer is respected as a coach. I didn't follow their career "live" so I've only seen some of their major winning performances and didn't think of them as being inconsistent (which I guess is the issue here?). I thought they usually came across with nicely choreographed, pleasant, but not masterpiece programs and didn't have a big problem with them. I'd rank them above both P&Ts and E&B at least. What am I missing? :lol:

11. judgejudy27

I dont dislike them. Technically they were so weak though. Their triple twist was poor and their double twist was one of the tiniest in the World. Their lifts barely covered any ice, were slow, and shaky. Their death spirals were weak, she never got low or in a good position. Their footwork sequences were easy. Their side by side jumps and spins were sometimes strong, and sometimes out of sync (and sometimes she fell of course). They were very inconsistent too, hardly ever skating cleanly, and even having some epic meltdowns in major events (eg- 1994 Olympics, 1995 Worlds, 1998 GP final).

Technically they are below all the other teams on this list, and it is not artistically they blow many of them out of the water even if they had a few nice programs. E&B were boring as heck but they atleast did the technical elements much better if you compare the two teams, apart from spirals, pairs spins, and sometimes jumps.

12. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

If people don't know who Eltsova and Bushkov are, well......

they should consider themselves lucky. :p

13. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I didn't realize that Eltsova & Bushkov had won a world title before this pole.
    I guess their win wasn't that memorable. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Yeltsova-Bushkov were better skaters than Woetzel & Steyer. They had better positions, lines, and were quite pleasant to watch. Her rotation in the air was lovely. W&S's world title was undeserved, IMO. They were slow, and really did not have any qualities that set them apart from the rest. IIRC they had problems on both their throws when they won their world title (or am I confusing it with the previous year?). Y&B did have a fall on the sbs 3t, but should have won over W&S.

I think the judges did not want to make Y&B back to back pairs champions because they were really not a great pair. They did, however, beat B&S and K&D at the 1998 Russian nationals, and that's not too shabby, since K&D and B&S won gold and silver at the Olympics just a few months later. After 1994, the pairs field was quite weak until 1998.

I never understood the hatred for Y&B. I was not their fan, but they were OK.

P.S. I did not vote for W&S, just to clarify.

15. judgejudy27

I think people dont like Y&B since they showed no personality on the ice, and they used that tedious free program they won Worlds with two years in a row. I agree with everything you said though, and they were definitely a better team than W&S. Who did you vote for btw.

16. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Just so. Okay and no special personality for me.

I don't hate them by any means (if I did I probably wouldn't go for them first). I mostly just don't have much feeling about them at all...

On the other hand, W/S were misguided enough often enough that they're more memorable even if they're technically weaker.

17. Plusdinfo

Plusdinfo Member

I enjoyed Woetzel and Steuer A LOT, though I agree that they were stronger artistically than technically.

18. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Kovarikova & Novotny. I admit I wasnt a fan back then and I hardly remember them. Plus they won as a payback for being robbed at Euros that year. Two wrondg don't make a right IMO.

19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Difficult.
    I'd say Eltsova&Bushkov, but they were a strong team technically, compared to the others of the era.

So, my vote goes to Pang&Tong, because they ever did anything to me.

20. shady82

shady82 New Member

I liked Eltsova/Bushkov's style, actually. They were a strong team, but didn't have the consistency. I'm going to vote for them first.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Petrova/Tikhonov so far. They won 2000 Worlds with a solid but hardly memorable program, which in some years may not have even medaled. Their skating improved quite a bit in their last couple seasons (terrific SPs 2004-2006), but they never truly contended for the top spot. I'm probably voting for them next.

Pang/Tong actually won an Olympic medal and two World Championships (though both were in somewhat weak fields). I like their style more too - terrific interpretation and artistry in some of their programs, and classic Chinese mastery of throws and lifts.

21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Don't worry, they are my next vote !

22. judgejudy27

Yes Kovarikova & Novotny clearly should have won Europeans that year, but Woetzel & Steuer received what most viewed as a hometown gift (I would have had them 3rd behind Shishkova & Naumov). At Worlds Kovarikova & Novotny skated an excellent short, but then a much worse long than Europeans, and still won over a flaweless Shishkova & Naumov (Woetzel & Steuer 2nd after the short bombed and came 5th). Barb Underhill & Paul Martini on CBC were rooting for K&V to win, and livid when they didnt win Europeans, but were dissapointed with their performance at Worlds, and pretty much agreed the judges gave them gold as a "make up, sorry we screwed you there" present for what happened at Europeans. That plus knowing it was their final amateur event likely too.

The problem is if you keep doing that someone will always be screwed in the end, unless you keep giving the next victim a makeup gift when the appropriate time comes, it has to end somewhere. Unfortunately this time Shishkova & Naumov were the victims, as they often were in their careers it seemed. No make up gift ever came there way in the future, that is for sure.

23. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The US wuzrobbed of having a team in this poll. :p

24. Vash01

Very true. FS judges keep doing it, like the Oscars- trying to make up for past injustices and in the process created even more injustice. Shishkova-Naumov was one of the unluckiest pairs. The breaks never went their way.

25. Vash01

Too bad the last US pair to win a world title was Babilonia & Gardner in 1979.

26. judgejudy27

Yeah they had the performances of their life at the 94 Olympics, would have won gold or silver at every other Olympics probably, but came 4th due to the reinstated legends and Brasseur & Eisler skating well and having the clout as reigning World Champs. Of course that had to be the ONLY year reinstated pros were allowed back. Then winning every event they entered in the 95-96 season, being off at Worlds but all the other top pairs making as many mistakes or more in that messy event, and being bumped to 4th by freakish ordinals despite 4 1st place votes. :lol: Then major injuries the next 2 years, and the Russian depth in pairs piling up again at the same time as their injuries and struggles to regain form.

Thank goodness they won the 94 Worlds. By the way I have plenty of space so feel free to send me a PM if you like now.

27. casken

casken Well-Known Member

And had more detailed transitions and choreography.

Woeztel and Steuer have to be one of the most overrated pairs teams in history. He was ok, but everything she did was so wobbly and stiff.

28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I voted Shishkova & Naumov. I will never ever forgive them for those horrible lime green outfits in 1992.

29. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Speaking of Shiskova and Nuamov, I figure now's a good time to post their little seen 1997 Europeans FS to "Meditation".

I never saw this before until recently, and never knew they even had a Meditation program. I just assumed they skated Don Quixote straight through from 96-98.

It's not as good as B&S's Meditation would be years later, but it's way better than Don Quixote, so I don't know why they didn't just keep this one for 98 rather than go back to DQ.

30. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

That just means all our votes will be fair and without national bias. :saint: