Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Pairs FINAL (Vote for the winner)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by allezfred, Jul 27, 2012.

?

Who is your Pairs Champion Survivor winner?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2012.
  1. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

88 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Shen & Zhao

110 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

With everyone saying S/S took advantage of being good when there were no decent competitors to beat so it was easy for them to win; the same could be said for S/Z's Olympic win. Not only did they come back when the toughest competition was a 2009 World's podium of Z/Z, K/S and S/S but it was one of the worst seasons that S/S could have had for a myriad of reasons. For that B/S have it.

2. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

The same can be said about B/S. They had quite a hard time with S/P who really weren't the most impressive of opponents. Really, all this measuring of opposition is kind of pointless and one should probably discuss the pairs on their own merits. For me B/S had better lines, better programmes and better skating skills so despite the wow elements S/Z can bring to the table B/S are way more memorable as a team and they offered great programmes that I love to rewatch.

3. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Especially if you are going to rubbish the skills of S&P and B&S and yet S&Z couldn't beat either team in the big events despite being the more established couple who were skating together for longer than either B&S and S&P. Granted S&Z were nowhere near the skater they would eventually become in terms of presentation, but B&S had them soundly beaten while they competed.

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

S/Z were hardly an established pair in the traditional sense; they had skated together longer, but China was a pairs non-entity when they broke through, and they had to fight to be recognized and marked as contenders. And yes, they were quite rough around the edges back then. I liked them better before they were given an artistic makeover (they became bland to me eventually), but I don't think you can judge them based on the first half of their senior career. Which brings me to my actual point: different skaters peak at different times, and the whole "but their competition wasn't that strong/at their best" can be used against just about anyone. It can't all be The Battle of the Brians or Plush and Yags or Kim vs. Asada (and even Mao wasn't at her best then).

That said, I voted for B/S, because I feel that B/S at their best > S/Z at their best. Of course, both teams had obvious strengths, overcame a lot of obstacles and had some fantastic achievements.