Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Pairs FINAL (Vote for the winner)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by allezfred, Jul 27, 2012.

?

Who is your Pairs Champion Survivor winner?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2012.
  1. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

88 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Shen & Zhao

110 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

So Savchenko & Szolkowy get the bronze, but who will be the winner?

I'd make a list of who finished where, but I can't be arsed. :shuffle:
  2. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I am voting for Shen & Zhao. They haven't always been perfect but I feel there was no doubt they were the winners in 2010 whereas mistakes made by B&S allowed the media to narrate a story that the Canadians were robbed.
  3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Shen & Zhao. They become who they are through 16 years of competition while coming from a country with virtually no skating background, coaching experience, training facilities and political clout.

If B&S got the gold, you just know there will be a huge outcry and the runner up will ultimately be awarded another set of gold. Plus their names are too difficult to spell or pronounce. :p
  4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Voted for Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze for their amazing skating and emotion.
  5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I voted for S and Z. I love B and S..but having been at Worlds in 03 and being swept up in the emotion of that free skate....amazing..When there are great skaters..it boils down for me to "How did they make me feel"?
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  6. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

So hard, I love both. Loved loved loved B&S's Chaplin LP, among others, but voted for S&Z for same reason as kwanette. Worlds 2003 was epic, and I was also very moved by their 2004 LP performances.

No matter which pair I vote for, I consider them both great teams. :respec:
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  7. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

I'll be happy with any of these pairs winning. I love S/Z but in the end, decided to vote for B/S.

S/S in third place was a bit unexpected but welcome too. I love them too.
  8. t.mann

t.mann New Member

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this is going toward S&Z after the voting in the last round, but pleasantly surprised. I agree with gingercrush that one of the reasons they should win is that their OGM was pretty much unquestionable. I know there are a few people who say Pang and Tong should have won, and more than a few that say Pang and Tong should have won the LP, but most people do not dispute Shen and Zhao as the OVERALL winner. S&Z also managed to win medals at three different Olympics, that's another feat right there. Plus, I dislike B&S lol.
  10. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Easily Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze. They had it all: the skating skills, beautiful technical elements, musicality, amazing lines, interesting artistic presentation.
  11. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I like both pairs very much, and my vote went to Shen & Zhao.
  12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I don't know that I agree with S&Z's win being more unquestionable. They only won the SP and not the LP.... pretty much the first pairs skaters I can remember who won the OGM without winning the LP (I don't believe it's happened in ice dance, but it happened with some single skaters during the figures era). In a historical context, never having won the LP in any of their Olympic appearances is a big blemish really. B&S did win both programs, obviously the LP win was controversial, but they did win on the night.

S&Z do have a better overall haul with one extra medal and one additional world title, but that's mostly because B&S' career was incredibly short, at only 6 seasons (2 golds, 1 silver [which should have been gold] in 4 Worlds appearances). But I don't know that B&S should be penalized for achieving the OGM sooner and then retiring. S&Z also had considered retiring after 2002, but the Chinese fed encouraged them to stay, and then they decided to come back to try for a gold in 2010. B&S won their gold and retired. Had S&Z won in 2002, they may have retired and then they would have a much less impressive record. I personally distinguish skaters who achieved longevity and more titles because they stayed in longer trying to win OGM (like Kwan or Joubert) from those who won an OGM and then returned to compete and win more (like Plush or Witt). The latter is more impressive to me.

Also, if people are mentioning S&Z's background (which is impressive indeed), I have to say it's pretty damn incredible that Berezhnaya was able to come back after a head injury that nearly rendered her unable to walk, much less to skate, and she became OSM and World champion within two years of that.

But those aren't the reasons I voted for B&S. I voted for them because they have all the qualities I love about pairs skating in addition to an incredible career. They have the grace, elegance, polish, and interpretation of G&G, but I've never loved G&G because their choreography was lacking. B&S combine their qualities with the amazing transitions and choreo that M&D or V&V had from Moskvina. This makes them the most balanced pair of all time, IMO.
  13. blue_idealist

Sorry, I forgot that Shen and Zhao DIDN'T actually win the LP at the 2010 Olympics. I also forgot that they never won a LP in any of their Olympic appearances. However, I still want to vote for them!
  14. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Are Shen and Zhao really winning, or are people not understanding you are supposed to be voting for the person you want to see win, not voted out?

There is not one single thing that S&Z do better than B&S, other than play to people's emotions. Ugh.
  15. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I vote for S/S all the way to Sochi!!! :rofl:

Okay, in the absence of S/S being in the final FSU friggin' two, it gotta be Shen/ Zhao -- they have had way more incredible, can't take your eyes off them skates in big moments than B/S.

While B/S were generally mesmerizing to watch, they never quite lived fully up to their gorgeous outsized talent. The nerves always got them in one way or another.
  16. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

Seconded. :saint:
  17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :rollin:

Anton's emotion was always more palpable than Elena's (I think she's shy -- albeit getting into character in the Chaplin program really helped her shed some of her shyness).
  18. shady82

shady82 New Member

I'd be happy with both teams winning, they were both incredible. I gave the edge to S/Z though, because even though B/S are amazing skaters, they don't usually skate to their potential. They didn't have a lot of lights-out performances at major competitions. Lady Caliph at the 2002 Olympics was great, but it wasn't as amazing from my eyes as other people have made it out to be. But I think either team could deserve 1st.
  19. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Shen/Zhao have left a bigger mark/legacy in the sport. They should win.
  20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I voted for B/S just for the sheer beauty of their skating.
  21. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I really like both teams but B&S do it for me more. They were just so classic and refined.
  22. casken

casken Well-Known Member

A team where the guy has to leap off his feet to do a throw, has such mediocre footwork on the lifts that they barely cover the ice surface, can barely spin, and whose ice coverage got worse towards the end of their career winning this poll. :rolleyes:
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. blue_idealist

I don't see any teams with a guy like that still left. :p
  24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

ROTFL at Shen & Zhou winning this poll. Truly one of the most overrated skaters on this forum.
  25. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

For me , it's easy,Shen/Zhao are better competitors, B/S are better skaters. Since this poll is about champions, I went with S/Z. They are not better skaters than B/S or even S/S and T/M but I think they're great champions, probably the most determined competitors across all disciplines.
  26. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Speaking of determination...
    Elena overcame a serious head injury and was a very strong person to comeback to competition. That said, it doesn't take away from S&Z cause they surely were awesome competitors but B&S also had to overcome lots of difficulties.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  27. blue_idealist

I knew about that. That must have been really scary for her.
  28. lily

lily Member

Oh, such uninteresting pairs left. no sense to vote...
  29. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

B/S had amazing technique and presentation, but I've never felt excited or emotionally moved by their skating. I voted S/Z.
  30. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

S/Z has set an extraordinary milestone for the sport. Their improvement over long and enduring career was breath-taking to have witnessed, and their OGM in Vancouver was certainly the zenith and well-deserved award for it.
  31. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

With everyone saying S/S took advantage of being good when there were no decent competitors to beat so it was easy for them to win; the same could be said for S/Z's Olympic win. Not only did they come back when the toughest competition was a 2009 World's podium of Z/Z, K/S and S/S but it was one of the worst seasons that S/S could have had for a myriad of reasons. For that B/S have it.
  32. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

The same can be said about B/S. They had quite a hard time with S/P who really weren't the most impressive of opponents. Really, all this measuring of opposition is kind of pointless and one should probably discuss the pairs on their own merits. For me B/S had better lines, better programmes and better skating skills so despite the wow elements S/Z can bring to the table B/S are way more memorable as a team and they offered great programmes that I love to rewatch.
  33. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Especially if you are going to rubbish the skills of S&P and B&S and yet S&Z couldn't beat either team in the big events despite being the more established couple who were skating together for longer than either B&S and S&P. Granted S&Z were nowhere near the skater they would eventually become in terms of presentation, but B&S had them soundly beaten while they competed.
  34. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

S/Z were hardly an established pair in the traditional sense; they had skated together longer, but China was a pairs non-entity when they broke through, and they had to fight to be recognized and marked as contenders. And yes, they were quite rough around the edges back then. I liked them better before they were given an artistic makeover (they became bland to me eventually), but I don't think you can judge them based on the first half of their senior career. Which brings me to my actual point: different skaters peak at different times, and the whole "but their competition wasn't that strong/at their best" can be used against just about anyone. It can't all be The Battle of the Brians or Plush and Yags or Kim vs. Asada (and even Mao wasn't at her best then).

That said, I voted for B/S, because I feel that B/S at their best > S/Z at their best. Of course, both teams had obvious strengths, overcame a lot of obstacles and had some fantastic achievements.