Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 7

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jul 8, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link

Poll closed Jul 12, 2012.
  1. Ilia Kulik

97 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Alexei Yagudin

11 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Evgeni Plushenko

56 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Stéphane Lambiel

66 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Daisuke Takahashi

66 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. shine

shine Well-Known Member

What exactly was so much more musical about Yagudin than Abt? :confused: Have you seen his 2001worlds SP?

2. casken

casken Well-Known Member

3. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Abt was definitely underrated but one of the best, your making me miss him :(
    Abt had the best edges , lines and camel spins ever and his skating he is like gliding in the air. :swoon:
    oh and the never ending legs are to die for !!!!

now for the votes ! more votes for False God Yagudin !!! :soapbox:

5. senorita

senorita New Member

Me my fav program of Yagudin is Borken arrow, maybe an unpopular opinion, but I just love it. Especially Skate Canada or Skate America version, I dont remember. And Revolutionary etude and of course Winter. I also think Tosca suited him well.
    But if you look at his repertoire he didnt have such range of music choices or performance style. The movie scores always carry away the audience but I like the above programs more.. I liked MITM but it is the music that gives goosebumbs, I liked it even from KVDP this season and Bazarova/Larionov last season.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Well that was my point, because someone had brought up the idea that if you take away Plushenko's medals and his jumps, he is not that good. I wouldn't take that out of the equation, but if you do, then you get results like Abt being better than Plush.

Abt's crossovers jerky and clunky? We seriously are not watching the same skater then.

And I am sooooooo sick of people saying that Abt is only liked because of his looks; how come they never say that about Joubert and Kulik? One of my favorite skaters is Alban Preaubert, so no.

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I've lost track of how many times I've read about Joubert getting points and winning over fans because he's good-looking and the male version of Kiira Korpi. Far more often than I've heard the same about Abt, perhaps because Joubert is still competing and has had better results in his career.

I watched Abt's Rach 2/3 program tonight for the first time in ages. Fabulous - though I'll always have a soft spot for the Artsakh SP from that season, as it was the first time I really noticed him. I also watched his Gasolina EX from the 2006 Red Square gala, further proof that he can skate to anything and make it look good ;)

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You seem to be referring to me, but you are misrepresenting what I said. I said that Plushenko's competitive record was largely due to the fact he is such a good jumper and that if you took away his jumps and looked at the rest of his performances, he's much better than Stojko but not on the same level as Takahashi or Lambiel. I think that's a fair assessment, but how much emphasis anyone places on any particular factor is up to that person.

I'm certainly not ignoring jumping ability or competitive record. Those are the main reasons why I didn't vote for Stojko before Urmanov or Eldredge. However, I don't think that Plushenko's jumping ability and competitive record necessarily mean he should stay in longer than Lambiel or Takahashi. I haven't made up my mind yet, and I won't until the next round starts.

9. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Imho Abt was overrated, most of all by his (female???) fans, who fell for his innocent milk-boy image. They prefer to see him in an always victim/hero-role. Although probably more talented than Yagudin and Plushenko, in fact, most of the time, he failed because lack of discipline, diligence PLUS too much :smokin: and :rockstar: ...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  10. unicorn

unicorn Member

Well even Kulik himself said something like "If you are a good skater, that's good. If you are a good looking good skater, that's great." :rofl:

11. unicorn

unicorn Member

I am just joking. :lol: I don't really think that Joubert got high pcs because he's good looking. It seems that judges always appreciate more about jumps than other elements. If someone's skating skills are not totally bad and can land jumps, judges tend to give him higher pcs even if the program is empty. But if someone skates to a more difficult program, but often messes up jumps, his pcs would have a higher chance to be underrated. One of the exemples is Abbott, by the way, he's good looking too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  12. unicorn

unicorn Member

Oh, that cracked me up. I like Plushy's jumps, but his footwork, his strokes and crossovers always look like an old lady trying to run fast, but runs with small small steps, no flow on the ice. His upper body always looks funny to me when he does the footwook. :lol: I still think he has a better chance to beat Chan than Takahashi though.

13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If Plushenko return continues into a major event at some point (Worlds or Olympics, which I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt) he has no chance to beat Chan barring a 4 or 5 splatfest from Chan. A clean Plushenko couldnt even beat a quadless Lysacek in Vancouver, and Chan today is a far better skater in everyway than Lysacek, and has the Worlds best quads (when landed) to boot. Add to that the judges are absolutely infatuated with Chan and are overmarking him even more significantly than they did Evan in the year after he won Worlds, and you get the picture.

Chan is prone to error, but his errors werent even enough to allow a clean or close to clean LP from Takahashi at both the 2012 Worlds and 2012 GP final to beat him the LP phase. So they sure as heck wouldnt be enough for an old Plushenko who could never match Takahashi from those events at this point. Takahashi has actually been jumping fairly consistently lately, which would be an old Plushenko's only possible edge over Takahashi, so with that said Takahashi right now has a better shot vs Chan or anyone else than old Plushenko, although even that isnt very much at all with the judges 30 point Chanflation per competition.

14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

What's so funny about this? All I said was that he was better with his feet than Yagudin in the footwork, and to me Yagudin's footwork was not super impressive to begin with. So I'm not necessarily complementing Plushenko either.

I'm not even that big of an Abt fan, but anyone claiming Yagudin to have better lines than Abt seriously don't know what they are talking about. Despite all his accomplishments and being one of the all time bests, Yagudin really didn't have the best lines or posture.

15. unicorn

unicorn Member

Well looks funny to me.

16. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Definitely. JMO.

Agree.
    Kozuka too.

17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

LOL NOBODY said he did. Better than Abt does not = best. We were all talking about Alexander freaking Abt here, not John Curry.

18. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

:respec: I think that would be a lot more interesting than this one actually! People would have to justify their choices, not just rely on medals!

I'm not getting into the whole "Abt vs Yagudin" debate. But looking at Abt's skating on its own I don't think it's fair to say that Abt was slow, at least not in his better performances. He was actually capable of generating a lot of speed without relying as much on crossovers as a lot of other skaters (which perhaps made him look slower on TV than in the rink). Definitely underrated. I agree about the 2-foot skating though, even in some of his better performances.

19. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Um, no.

20. senorita

senorita New Member

We know he cant beat Chan and Daisuke, so what?He still has the 3rd best Lp score of the season, and the 3rd total score too and that with a quadless sp at Euros. He gets overscored too you know ;), it is not just Chan.
    The being old caramel is getting old though, he is way past his prime age but the rest arent getting any younger, we are not talking about Hanyu generation, Daisuke, Abott and a bunch more will be 28 and 29 in Sochi, older than what old Plushenko was in Vancouver, and I see Daisuke becoming better every season.
    Although Chan will be in the ideal for OGM age;)

21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

He wasn't passionate like Yagudin, but what he did was always so pure and effortless. His inconsistency was unfortunate, but it really didn't take away the beauty of his skating for me. His Olympic programs were to die for and for me much more enjoyable than those by Plushenko or Goebel. My star of SLC Olympics were definitely Yagudin, Honda and Abt. How I wish that was the podium.

22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

His speed was deceptive, like Kwan's, just because he was so effortless.