Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 7

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jul 8, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link

Poll closed Jul 12, 2012.
  1. Ilia Kulik

97 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Alexei Yagudin

11 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Evgeni Plushenko

56 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Stéphane Lambiel

66 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Daisuke Takahashi

66 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The tribe has spoken.

Patrick Chan (6th) has been voted off. :wall:

The original contestants were the last twelve men to win a World or Olympic title.

Previous eliminees are:

Brian Joubert (7th)
    Jeffrey Buttle (8th)
    Elvis Stojko (9th)
    Evan Lysacek (10th)
    Todd Eldredge (11th)
    Alexei Urmanov (12th)

Six skaters remain:

• Ilia Kulik: Olys 1998, Worlds Silver 1996
    • Alexei Yagudin: Worlds 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, Olys 2002, Worlds Silver 2001, Worlds Bronze 1997
    • Evgeni Plushenko: Worlds 2001, 2003, 2004, Olys 2006, Olys Siliver 2002, 2010, Worlds Silver 1999, Worlds Bronse 1998
    • Stéphane Lambiel: Worlds 2005, 2006, Olys Silver 2006, Worlds Bronze 2007
    • Daisuke Takahashi: Worlds 2010, Worlds Silver 2007, 2012, Olys Bronze 2010

Bonus videos:

Ilia Kulik Worlds 1997 SP
    Ilia Kulid Worlds 1997 FS
    Alexei Yagudin Worlds 1999 SP
    Alexei Yagudin Worlds 1999 FS
    Evgeni Plushenko Worlds 2001 SP
    Evgeni Plushenko Worlds 2001 FS
    Stéphane Lambiel Worlds 2004 SP
    Stéphane Lambiel Worlds 2004 FS
    Daisuke Takahashi Worlds 2012 SP
    Daisuke Takahashi Worlds 2012 FS

Who is the weakest link? Use whatever criteria you want.

:watch:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

:wall: Chan? Why?
  3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Voting for Kulik for the 2nd round in a row. I doubt I will have to again.
  4. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Voting off Yagudin, Plushenko or Takahashi is out of the question for me at the moment.

Having to choose between Kulik and Lambiel... Despite adoring him, I'll vote for Kulik. Sniff sniff
  5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Because although he is a very strong in the technical side, his skating leaves too many people cold and his marks annoy a lot of fans. Having strong skating skills does not necessarily equal being a great performer with good musical interpretation.

But I voted for Ilia last time, and I will do so again now. It really should be a landslide: on OGM (against an injury and illness weakened field), and not much else in his fairly brief career as a competitive skater. Ilia is the obvious choice.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Agree, he could improve his interpretation. But we talk about skating, and some other in this list show music interpretation by there hands, but not there skates :D
  7. Zemgirl

But isn't a skater supposed to use his or her whole body when performing, and not just their blades? Anyway, the instructions clearly state that people should use whatever criteria they want. Obviously for many FSUers these criteria included more than skating skills.

BTW, Dai was the first skater to get level 4 on steps, and Plushenko may have been the second. Actually, the only one left who hasn't done so is Yagudin, for obvious reasons.

This should come down to Yagudin vs. Plushenko, and it's not like Chan had much of a chance of making it to the end.
  8. judgejudy27

This, plus how are you really strong on the technical side if you keep falling on jumps. :rofl:
  9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Really, Patrick Chan was the best skater of this poll, in term of pure skating.
    Anyway, I voted for Ilia Kulik, another very good skater, but not as polished, and not as fulfilled.
  10. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Let us not forget though, that Ilia won over the same guys (Stojko and Yagudin) at the Champions Series Final only two months before the Olympics. AND he did beat Yagudin at the Russian Nationals also.
  11. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Voted Kulik last time-and again this time.
  12. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Voted for Lambiel. I never found his skating that interesting.
  13. os168

os168 Active Member

Love Ilia but your time is up, Good Bye!

All other 4 are my favs. The poll looks like the revenge of Patrick Chan fans lol...
  14. shady82

shady82 New Member

Kulik will go.
  15. judgejudy27

Once Kulik is gone I am voting for Takahashi.
  16. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

agreed
  17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Once Kulik is gone, I am voting for Plushenko :p
  18. judgejudy27

I am voting for Plushenko after Takahashi is gone. My voting order will be:

Kulik
    Takahashi
    Plushenko
    Yagudin
  19. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Now all disruptive factors have been eleminated ;) , this is getting really tough. I love them all ... some more, some less. :shuffle: But I've to make a decision ... from now on and until the end I'll vote for the one whom I've a tremendous respect for, but otoh his kind of skating almost always left me cold: Evgeny Plushenko. Sorry! :slinkaway
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  20. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Was Lambiel really that much better than Takahashi? I adore them both-two of my very favorite skaters. But Dai is getting more begone votes! 'Splain that to me.
  21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I adore Kulik's skating but how did he outlast Chan?

Voted for Plushenko BTW.
  22. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

This men's results are not making me happy LOL.

Ilia Kulik: long overdue.
  23. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I agree. Best technically, best skating skills, best transitions and if anyone has seen him live they will know that his performance/execution, choreography and interpretation are all the best.

But oh well. Vote kulik
    ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Zemgirl

A lot of people who have seen Chan live disagree.

I didn't vote for him in the last round, but I think Chan gets a lot of credit for what he can do rather than what he does do. He makes quite a few mistakes for someone who's supposedly the best technically - and not just on his more difficult elements. Whereas Yags and Plush may not be the best in "pure skating" (whatever one takes it to mean) but they are incredible competitors and performers.
  25. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

The thing about Chan is that when he's on, he's amazing technically. It shows up well on TV because you can see that when he lands he never goes near the toe pick and how amazing his edge work. But he is Soooo boring to watch if you are actually watching te program.
  26. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

No.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Arguably, Lambiel has better spins, equally strong footwork and artistry, a higher Olympic medal, and an extra world title. But with that said, I think Lambiel is somewhat overrated. He had depth of edge but I actually found his posture lacking and found him unpolished at times. His jump technique is the worst of the guys left, because even his clean jumps usually were landed deep in the knee and looked like they had to be saved, and he had quite a few splatfasts. His 2005 Worlds LP might not have made the podium most other years (though to be fair his 2004 World LP could have won in 2008-2010), and his Olympic silver programs were very messy. Takahashi is not exactly the shining beacon of consistency either though.
  28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Can't believe Chan was voted off. Kulik should have gone last round.
  29. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Probably not by much at this point. But at their respective athletic prime, I think Lambiel did produce more 2-quad programs INCLUDING the 3axel. And I really respect the fact that he was skating to COP style programs before the system was even implemented.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  30. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Thanks to you guys for your opinions. I love both skaters so much...it distresses me for anyone to be voted out at this point. Of course, I have a fondness for all but Plushenko, but I have a great respect for Plushenko. I like Plushenko-I just don't love him like I love the others. But-he's a mighty force. I said it before-Yagudin versus Plushenko is going to be bloody.
  31. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

This is getting tough. I voted Ilia. Love his Olympic skates but he rarely skated his best like that.
  32. judgejudy27

So dissapointed to see Stephane with so many votes. He is my favorite skater. I always hoped fans appreciated his skating more than the often stupid judges did, but perhaps not.
  33. shine

shine Well-Known Member

He's my favourite too, but I'm honestly surprised that he has so FEW votes, even fewer than Plushenko :lol: I think he's one of the most widely appreciated skaters, and I'm actually not sure why you think the judges didn't like him. Judges loved him. He's always received rather generous scores when he didn't skate well.
  34. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Voted Plushy again.

Not a big Kulik fan, but he was slightly better at his best than Plushenko at his best, IMO. Although I despised his Olympic FS, Kulik had better programs and more range than Plushy overall.

Kulik has really grown as a "pro" skater and has been doing some really surprising and innovative stuff too.
  35. judgejudy27

Well for instance the common consensus was skating squeeky clean he had NO chance to get close to beating Plushenko in Turin even with quads and triple axels. Yet an average skater like Lysacek is allowed to beat a clean Plushenko with no quad? That to me seems like a joke, if Lysacek can beat a clean Plushenko with no quad, then Lambiel should have a chance to with no quad and no triple axel, after all Lambiel skating cleanly with nothing harder than a triple lutz should beat a quadless and clean Evan when you compare the two skaters. :D OK Plushenko was like half the skater he was in 2006 in 2010, he wasnt getting nearly as overmarked anymore either, Lysacek was being overmarked in 2010 due to being World Champ, Plushenko didnt even skate and especialy jump well for even his 2010 standards in his Olympic LP, but still you get the idea.

Also I look at Chan scoring over 200 points for a good LP, and Lambiel's stunning LP in the qualifying round at the 2005 Worlds get barely 150, and I know scoring inflation occurs over time but I still dont get it. :lol:
  36. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Oh, this is terrible. I don't know who to vote for.

I won't vote for Plushenko and Yagudin because they should be the final two without question.

Ilia may not have the greatest competition record, but he has such a fine jump technique, and his skating was very interesting. I especially love his SP from the Olympic season. I just can't vote for Ilia.

Stephane loses something in my eyes because of the lack of 3A, but his spins so divine, and his artistry so magnificent...I don't know that I could vote for him.

I enjoy Daisuke's skating, he's fun to watch, he always gives his all, he has a wonderful feel for the music and great presentation, and how he's not a World Champion yet is unbelieveable...I don't know if I could vote for him.

This is very difficult. All such excellent skaters! All so talented! I may have to sit this one out, but I don't know if I could sit by and watch Ilia and his flawless technique get voted off...
  37. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Plushy has so many votes :O I'm not a fan, but his record is impressive
  38. judgejudy27

People seem more bothered by Stephane's lack of a triple axel than others lack of a quad, but a quad and no triple axel is more valuable points wise than no quad and a triple axel, which many of his main competitors (eg- Weir, Lysacek, Buttle, Oda much of his career) had. Stephane also has done numerous triple axels in his career, unlike those I mentioned who have maybe done 1 or 2 clean quads.
  39. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I really hate this, but with his competitive record, it has to be Kulik. :( I so wish he'd stayed Olympic Eligible for the next cycle. He was only 20 when he won!
  40. vodkashot

vodkashot New Member

Daisuke is the 2010 World Champion.