Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 6

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jul 4, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2012.
  1. Ilia Kulik

68 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Alexei Yagudin

9 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Evgeni Plushenko

26 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Stéphane Lambiel

39 vote(s)
    14.2%
  5. Daisuke Takahashi

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. Patrick Chan

89 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The tribe has spoken.

Brian Joubert (7th) has been voted off.

The original contestants were the last twelve men to win a World or Olympic title.

Previous eliminees are:

Jeffrey Buttle (8th)
    Elvis Stojko (9th)
    Evan Lysacek (10th)
    Todd Eldredge (11th)
    Alexei Urmanov (12th)

And now we get down to brass tacks. :COP:

Six skaters remain:

• Ilia Kulik: Olys 1998, Worlds Silver 1996
    • Alexei Yagudin: Worlds 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, Olys 2002, Worlds Silver 2001, Worlds Bronze 1997
    • Evgeni Plushenko: Worlds 2001, 2003, 2004, Olys 2006, Olys Siliver 2002, 2010, Worlds Silver 1999, Worlds Bronse 1998
    • Stéphane Lambiel: Worlds 2005, 2006, Olys Silver 2006, Worlds Bronze 2007
    • Daisuke Takahashi: Worlds 2010, Worlds Silver 2007, 2012, Olys Bronze 2010
    • Patrick Chan: Worlds 2011, 2012, Worlds Silver 2009, 2010

Who is the weakest link? Use whatever criteria you want.

:watch:

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Time for Ilia Kulik to go. Chan will be my next vote.

3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

No way is the finest jump technique in the world going out before Sir Fall-a-lot.

I am voting for Patrick Chan. There is more to skating than just cramming in as many elements as you can with fine disregard to the music you're skating to. He is emotionless and has as much musical connection as a brick. He's ridiculously overscored and falls a ridiculous number of times for an alleged World Champion.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Had to choose between Chan and Lambiel. Neither of them had the entertainment factor for me that the others did.

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Ohhh now it's going to get fun. I considered Kulik, but had to go with Chan.... the OGM has to be worth something. And while Chan has another chance to win gold in Sochi, Kulik did win on his first and only try, so I think their Olympic results are can absolutely be compared in this case. Chan was reigning world silver medalist, the Olympics were at home, he was wildly overscored, and I absolutely believe the judges would've given him gold if he had skated clean, but he could only manage 5th place. Chan had mistakes all over the place, not just in jumps but in non-jump elements like spins. Really sad to think that had Plushenko and Lambiel not come out of retirement, that would have been the bronze performance.

Kulik was not as good of a spinner and didn't have the transitions of Chan, but they both had first class skating skills and IMO, neither had a ton of musicality, though I'd rank Kulik ahead there. They were both inconsistent jumpers, but Kulik was the one who put everything together on the night, including the quad, to win the Olympics with a complete performance.

6. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Takahashi should be out.
    Kulik had one of the most amazing jump technique and had audience drooling over his style.
    I'm not totally sold on Chan, but at least he has consistently bested Takahashi these couple of years.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Kulik fell just as much as Chan even with his fine jump technique. Unlike Chan he was deducted for it, but unlike Kulik, Chan has years he looked like the top skater atleast one point in the season, some semblance of longevity, and a great variety of achievements even without an Olympic medal yet. Chan also is a far more complete skater than Kulik ever became as an amateur.

8. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

I guess it's finally time to go for the probably most overrated male skater in the history of figure skating. He's so full of himself, I don't see why, he has the "charisma" of a vacuum cleaner ... :p

I used my criteria, I voted for Chan. :shuffle:

9. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Lambiel - no - entertainment - factor?????? :confused:

10. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I'm leveling between Kulik and Dai. Ugh!

11. shady82

shady82 Active Member

It's between Kulik and Chan for me.

Both skaters are strong jumpers with good skating skills. Chan is sorely lacking in the artistic side, Kulik is better but not outstanding in any way. Kulik wasn't a strong spinner, either.

I'm going with Chan. Kulik pulled it off for Olympic gold. Chan won the 2011 Worlds deservedly, but I'm not counting his win in 2012 since Takahashi should have won that competition.

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I really don't like his skating much and think he's almost always overscored, but I feel Patrick Chan should outlast Ilia Kulik on the strength of having a longer and more consistent career results-wise; also for pushing it on the technical side in recent years, even if artistically he puts me to sleep.

I don't think Ilia should have even made it this far, considering he had a relatively brief competitive career and one short on major medals and wins outside of his OGM - not that superior to Urmanov or Sarah Hughes, both of whom are long gone in their respective polls. A good 3A isn't enough, and this isn't about who had a better pro career.

Sorry, Ilia. As far as I'm concerned Patrick lives to see another poll.

13. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I'm no Chan fan, but I voted Kulik.

I just couldn't vote Chan yet- he does have great skill, even if he's overscored, has an asshat personality and next to no audience connection or musicality.

Wait a minute-can I have my vote back? just kidding. Kulik should be the next out.

14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

no one voted for False God Yagudin ? :soapbox:

15. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

No One Votes off the God.

16. invierno

invierno Member

I voted for Ilia. And I'm regretting it.....

17. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Voted for Kulik. Chan - no. Although he was overscored at the last Worlds, I think his win was not totally unfair - he simply should have won with a much smaller margin. I totally get why Takahashi is so much more popular - I like him much more too. I also understand why many people thought that Dai should have won, as he skated cleaner. But there are things that can't be ignored so easily if you look behind individuality (or the lack of it) and style (or lack of it). Many of those things were explained in the thread called something like 'What should Takahashi do'.

And I don't agree that Chan has no musicality and no connection to the audience. True, it seems that he has not had any personal connection to music used for his programs so far, but he can and is skating and moving to the music. As for the connection to audience, yes, Chan has not had it in competitions. But, when it comes to show skating, he is learning.

Plus, Chan has one fantastic and unquestionable Worlds win, two world silvers, which were not undeserved in each given situation, and is very likely to win an Olympic medal.

But I admit that after rewatching some Dai videos, I am tempted to go with my heart in the next round, and vote for Chan (if it will still be possible - doesn't look like it), although I think that objectively he should be voted out before Plushenko and Yagudin.

18. os168

os168 Active Member

It is a toss between Ilia and Patrick for me.. very hard pick. So I determine by seniority and OGM.

So I'd pick Patrick this year, but he could be one of my favourites in the future but not there yet. His artistry is improving leaps and bounds however, looking forward to see how he get on in the future.

By the way... where the hell is Kurt?!!!

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Ilia. Yes, he has an OGM, but he won it against a severely injured Elvis Stojko who could barely WALK five minutes after the performance. If Elvis had been functioning at full capacity, he probably would have done a 4-3, instead of no quad at all, and won the title. Ilia only has one world medal, not even a title. His OGM performance wasn't as impressive as, say, Yagudin's or Boitano's, either. People say that Lysacek's OGM winning performance was lackluster but Kulik's wasn't that much better. He also had this annoying habit of skating with his arms out. It looked so awkward. I was avoiding voting him out before this because he does have the OGM, but I think he's gotta be gone this time.

Lambiel and Chan are two time world Champions and Dai has one world title. Lambiel and Dai are also Olympic medalists. That combined with their better artistry and skating skills than Kulik makes them good enough to stay, IMO.

20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think Kurt's not one of the LAST 12 men to win a world or Olympic title, since his last world title was in the early 90s.

21. os168

os168 Active Member

Oh thanks. Wow didn't realise it has been that long....sob! I still remember his Casablanca as one of the best Olympic Skates that stayed with me till this day.

22. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

well oops ! , he has votes now :p
    that would have been unfair that Ultimate God Pluschenko gets votes but Yagudin doesn't.

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I love Ilia Kulik, his 1995 Euros LP, his fabulous choreography to Romeo&Juliet in 1997, and his very powerful 1998 SP. But compared to the others, he didn't have the same career.

24. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Voted for Plushy.

I respect his consistency and the fact that he collected a bunch of medals becuase of it, but the quality of overall skating is the weakest of everyone left, and he's been skating essentially the same horribly constructed programs for years with minimal development of his style. If anything, he become more rigid in his skating compared to when he first came on the scene in 97/98.

25. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I never drooled over Kulik's style...I voted him off.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Went for Kulik, wonderful skills but short eligible career and olympic gold is not such a big thing for me.
    My end game (subject to change)

Kulik (would have had him off before Lysacek and Stojko)
    Chan (don't get the hate for him....) / Takahashi (don't get the love for him...)
    Lambiel (just looking for an excuse to link to his cat exhbition number)
    Plushenko (I'm not a fan, but there's no denying his accomplishments)
    Yagudin (if there can be only one, he's it)

27. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

ITA.. That's why I voted for him.. that, and crappy spins..

28. senorita

senorita New Member

Plushenko in his prime had weak skating skills? Really?

Chan not because he deserves to go but only because I love all the rest.
    And Kulik had too red chicks to vote out, I love his Adams family program also.

29. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Things are starting to get really difficult...

I guess it's obvious that I would never vote off Takahashi at the moment. Voting off Yagudin or Plushenko, for me, is out of question.
    That leaves me with 3 choices: Lambiel, Kulik and Chan.

Stephane: amazing natural talent with lots of style and charisma. His musicality was amazing. He was able to provoke excitement in the audience even when he had mistakes in landing the jumps. The most incredible man spinner that I've ever seen. Off course that I cannot forget about his issues with the triple axel. In terms of results, he got the silver in the Olympics and two deserved world titles. More than an athlete, Lambiel was a true artist.

Ilya: Incredible jumping technique. Powerful skater. There was something really cool about him that made him impress both women and men. I think he was an all round skater since he had the jumps, the spins, the steps and the artistry. A great thing about him was the versitility cause he could skate to Liebestraume or to "Mortal Kombat" soundtrack in a convincing way. He was perfect during the OG in 98 and won fair and square.

Patrick: Great skating skills. When he does the quad it looks just so awesome. His soft knee bend and pointed toes are admirable. In 2011, he won the world title in fashion. But... to me there's nothing emotional about his skating. I only watch him during the competitions and that's it. He doesn't give that will of rewatching his programes. To me that's the main problem with Chan. Hopefully he will mature more from an artistic point of view. He is really good but he hasn't conquered my heart (at least not yet).

30. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Nope, not what I said.