Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 5

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Who Is the Weakest Link

Poll closed Jul 4, 2012.
  1. Ilia Kulik

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Alexei Yagudin

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Evgeni Plushenko

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Stéphane Lambiel

10 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Brian Joubert

114 vote(s)
    51.8%
  6. Daisuke Takahashi

20 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Patrick Chan

39 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I think Joubert is the only champion that has, unless Plush ever landed the quad salchow at Russian nationals or another domestic competition? On the basis that Mroz got the first 4Lz credit, i'm guessing Plush never landed it in competition.

2. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

And again this problem with skaters who are still competing - the most recent events are influencing people's votes. If Chan had won Worlds this year with clean (or almost clean) performances, I don't think he'd be voted out so soon.

3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I think Plushy landed 4S at a Russian Cup competition (domestic), although I can't remember if he landed it in practice or competition there.

He first tried the 4Lz at the 2001 Cup of Russia, pre-dating Mroz's politiked credit by 10 years. :rofl: It was fully rotated, but he landed on two feet, tried to hang onto it, and ended up on his backside. :( Shame.

I seem to recall that the reason they put it away after that was because they didn't want to risk Plush hurting himself in an Olympic season, and then after that, with Yagudin retired, he didn't need it anymore. I think he felt a bit lost the first season without Yagudin.

Anyway, I'm going to sit out this round of voting. After reading about his efforts in the quad thread, I just can't bring myself to vote for Joubert. My next thought was Lambiel (no 3A) but the overall package was so good I can't really go for that either. And no way am I voting out the man with the purest and best jump technique in the sport (Ilia).

4. shady82

shady82 New Member

I agree that Chan shouldn't be underestimated. He is top-notch skater all-around who manages to produce consistently good material. Sure, he may have been ridiculously overmarked, but objectively he probably should leave after Joubert, Kulik, Lambiel, and even Takahashi.

I'm surprised Takahashi has almost never appeared in these discussions even though his achievement level is the same as the other skaters being considered for elimination. He is possibly my favorite skater on this list, I'm pleasantly surprised he hasn't been brought up jmuch.

5. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I like that Joubert's musical interpretation is so straightforward and sexual. He's pleasing to watch.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Agree on Kulik and Joubert. Definitely not on Lambiel or Takahashi. Chan has nothing on them other than jump consistency (or does he really, lol) and skating skills (and of course bigtime Chanflation that gives him scores 40 points per competition higher than those other two would get for the same performances). Maybe he has better spins than Takahashi, but way worse spins than Lambiel, although I bet his spin scores are still higher than Lambiel's given how Chan is scored.

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm surprised more people haven't considered voting out Takahashi, but he's just such an artist and so beloved. I don't plan on voting him out until Joubert, Kulik, Chan, and Lambiel are gone. I might even vote for him over Plushenko (er, I guess I mean NOT vote for him, to keep him in lol).

8. shady82

shady82 New Member

I actually agree with you on Lambiel and Takahashi. Chan was ridiculously inflated at the 2012 Worlds, and unable to skate cleanly in either portion of the competition, while Takahashi skated an SP of a similar level and a clean FP. His only real advantage over Takahashi is skating skills, and his presentation/artistry is well below Takahashi's. He really could not get into the choreography for his Take Five SP.

Without the ridiculous inflation, Chan's only valid World title, IMO, is 2011.

Lambiel similarly deserved both his 2005 and 2006 titles, no doubt about it.

9. shady82

shady82 New Member

I completely agree with you.

10. judgejudy27

Yeah I agree. Takahashi deserved to win both the GP final and Worlds (especialy Worlds last year) so should be a 2 time World Champion. Lambiel deserved both his World titles as well. Chan undoubtably was the clear and undisputed winner of 2011. So without the ridiculous judging at last years Worlds both would be more accomplished than Chan right now as well, and Lambiel arguably is anyway due to his Olympic silver.

11. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I'll remember this when you try to tell me that Delobel and Schoenfelder's lack of multiple medals hurts them compared to D&W and V&M in the dance poll. :D

12. judgejudy27

Except that DelSchoes certainly did not deserve any additional World golds. They didnt even win another World or Olympic medal outside their one gold. Maybe one could argue they deserved a bronze in a couple of those, but that is it. Plus DelSchoes were never in the league of technical ability that D&W and V&M currently are (or even artistically when it comes to V&M). A DelSchoes fan shouldnt be complaining, they have already outlasted about 4 teams, when every team who started the poll has a more impressive medal haul than theirs. Going out in the middle where they will probably go is already incredibly and excessively generous to them.

13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

DelSchoes were much more interesting and original than D/W and V/M. With the exception of the Bollywood OD, what have we seen from either of those teams that was remotely creative? And I say this as someone who has a ton of respect for V/M (less so for D/W, don't like them) - but even their attempts to challenge themselves artistically have generally been pretty much inside the box.

Added to that, DelSchoes were often underscored and their record doesn't fully reflect what they did on the ice.

And here I thought I was commenting on the dance poll. Since it's the men's, I would like to know who voted for Yags and why.

14. casken

casken Well-Known Member

In what, twizzling? :lol:

Compared to L&A and B&K? Bullshit.

I can see the next round of the Dance poll is going to be fun.

15. judgejudy27

Say what you will about B&K, but considering they were competitive in an era with Anissina & Peizerat, Krylova & Ovsiannikov, and Gristchuk & Platov, it is safe to say had they ever been in their primes at the same time they would have dominated and possibly never lost a head to head competition with Delobel & Schoenfelder. Yet despite that, and despite that B&K, L&A, and every single team on the poll has had a better career with better achievements than DelSchoes, I STILL voted for B&K and L&A to go out before DelSchoes and havent even voted for them yet. So I have been more than generous to them, like the others have been as well, and now I am being cornered for not giving DelSchoes enough love. :rofl: Suggesting they are a better team than V&M or D&W and were robbed of a better carer than teams like that by cheating judges is just :lol:

I am not even going to continue this though as it is a mens thread and it is clear you have DelSchoes on some fantasy pedestal well beyond reality so to each their own.

16. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Says the person widely regarded as one of the most delusional posters in all of FSU. I'll take it as a compliment, bud. :cool:

On topic, Stojko sucked.

17. judgejudy27

Coming from you I will take that as a compliment. I value your opinion and words about half as much as I value George Bush's views on homosexuals and peace amongst nations.

18. antmanb

I didn't vote for Yags (my vote went to Kulik again), but re-watched his Olympic LP recently which I remembered so fondly and rewatched a hundred times back in the day....and sadly I found it really lacking. While I am the first one to bash the IJS, I think 6.0 programmes that i used to think were amazing pre IJS now seem to be really empty. His LP had a lot of two footed skating, his jumps were telepgraphed, his posture was sometimes lacking (particularly on jump landings)....I was genuinely shocked at how I felt towards the programmes. I cannot deny his achievements in any way, and I loved him dearly as my favourite skater back in the day, but in terms of the "artistry" I thought he had....Takahashi and Lambiel have bucket loads more, and dare I even say it - Patrick Chan has better skating skills and footwork by a country mile.

I've decided to stop rewatching old programmes and keep my rose tinted 6.0 memories unsullied from now on :lol:

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I've had similar experiences watching older programs - not disappointment, but I've gotten so used to seeing IJS-friendly programs that I have to remind myself sometimes that the skaters I'm watching didn't try to stick in loads of transitions, nor were they required to get high levels of spins and footwork. And then I can enjoy the programs for what they are rather than for what they might lack.

Yags was more a performer than an artist, IMO. I wonder, if his career had not been cut short due to injury, if we'd have seen him develop his artistic side more. Not to mention how he would have adapted to the IJS.

20. antmanb

Agree completely. I wonder what amazing programmes we might have seen from both him and Plushy leading up to the 2006 if it weren't for his hip injury. I think they both would have been forced to pull another type of quad and develop their programme themes and presentation much more.

I think Yags had a lot more to give, and Plush wouldn't have rested on his laurels so much with a healthy Yags to compete with.

21. t.mann

t.mann New Member

LOL at the possibility that Chan (who will be in the all-time great male skater Top5 lists of many people, after 10 years) will be eliminated in next round.

22. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

You expressed my thoughts exactly. And Zemgirl too. But that doesn't mean in any way that I am going to vote for Yagudin in one of the rounds.

23. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I'm voting Plushenko next; then Chan immediately after. :2faced:

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

No kidding.

I've pretty much agreed with the votes up to this point, except for the one on Lysacek. I was expecting to vote him out right about now -- either just before or just after Joubert. (Lysacek out before Buttle? Really?) But he's long gone. And Chan leaving before, say, Takahashi (who probably isn't going to be my next vote, by the way) would be even more ridiculous. :blah:

I'm not so sure Chan is the next to go, though. There are going to be a lot of Joubert votes freed up.

:lol: Good luck with that!