Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 5

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Who Is the Weakest Link

Poll closed Jul 4, 2012.
  1. Ilia Kulik

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Alexei Yagudin

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Evgeni Plushenko

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Stéphane Lambiel

10 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Brian Joubert

114 vote(s)
    51.8%
  6. Daisuke Takahashi

20 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Patrick Chan

39 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The tribe has spoken.

Jeffrey Buttle (8th) has been voted off.

The original contestants were the last twelve men to win a World or Olympic title.

Previous eliminees are:

Elvis Stojko (9th)
    Evan Lysacek (10th)
    Todd Eldredge (11th)
    Alexei Urmanov (12th)

Seven skaters remain:

Who is the weakest link? Use whatever criteria you want.

Whom am I kidding? Bye, bye, Babou!

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I think I won't vote this round.
    I guess Joubert will be kicking out, but it's too difficult for me to vote for him.

3. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

I have a huge soft spot for Joubert (maybe his hotness I dunno) but I couldn't think of any reason to vote for any of the others before him. So bye bye Brian and your endless matrix entertainment. :(

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Me, too.
    I voted for Kulik. I know his jumping technique was gorgeous, but I hated his arm use. His skating never moved me. He was a talented "diamond in the rough", but never a finished product.

I like him better as a pro.

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

There is something to be said for his longevity at least. :)

6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Easily Joubert

7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Joubert. I am to the point of considering Kulik but I will wait until next round when there is a chance he actually goes.

8. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Joubert. He was only the gold favorite for one year (2007), and won that year. However, artistically he has the least ability in interpreting music and in transitions. Technically, most of the skaters on this list are at least comparable to him, with the exception of Lambiel and Takahashi. Even Takahashi has pulled off a quad toe and salchow in the same program.

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I am debating what to do with my vote. Though his time is likely up, I don't want to vote off Joubert, and if one looks at competitive careers, I'm not sure he should go before Ilia anyway. I will sit this one out for the time being and ponder things.

Dai has landed a 4S? When? I know he tried 4F once (two-footed, UR'd) but I don't recall any 4S attempts. Actually, with the exception of Joubert - is there any men's World or Olympic champion who has landed a quad other than the 4T?

Transitions fall under PCS, but I don't think they should be considered a measure of one's artistry; along with skating skills, they strike me as a more technical component.

10. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Voting for Joubert until he's out (which should have been before Lysacek, Stojko and maybe Buttle).

Kulike should also be out by now but Joubert is the bigger priority.

11. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I totally hated how Ilia skated with his arms out, but I voted out Joubert for the same reasons as the last two votes, even though I like him.

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Joubert must go.

13. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Never mind - I was thinking of 4CC. But Dai did two quad toes, not a quad toe and salchow.

14. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Things start to get difficult for me... Voting out Plushenko or Yagudin is totally out of the question.

I love Joubert and I'm really proud of his achievements. His longevity and capacity to bounce back is extraordinary. Nevertheless, he never had the perfect jumping technique of Kulik neither the musicality of Lambiel and Takahashi. Chan has better spins and better skating skills. So in all fairness I had to vote for Joubert... (and I'm feeling guilty).

15. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Could bring myself to vote for Joubert even though he deserves to go.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Plushenko got 4 votes while Joubert is still there?:confused:

17. judgejudy27

Amazing isnt it. Joubert is basically a very poor mans Plushenko in ever sense.

18. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I've heard poor man's Yagudin before, and I get it - but a comparison to Plushenko? Joubert and Plushenko are nothing alike as skaters. Though Plushy's influence can be seen with many skaters, I'm not sure there's really anyone who's quite like him.

19. judgejudy27

He is a combination of a poor mans Yagudin and poor mans Plushenko. He tried hard to mimick Yagudin's style in early years, although that sort of dissapeared. He is a poor mans Plushenko in that all his strengths (powerful and consistent jumping, quadruple jumps and triple axels, solid basic skating and speed over the ice, command and attack, strong posture) and weaknesses (iffy spins, choreography lacking in transitions and in between content, posing spots) are pretty much the same. Even his style and look of skating once he got past the Yagudin wannabee early years was pretty similar I found.

Either way even if they arent that similar, there isnt a single thing Joubert does better than a prime (aka not the Vancouver version except for someone who only started watching skating in 2009) Plushenko. Joubert if he wasnt such a headcase definitely had a shot at the 2010 Plushenko, but then again so did atleast 5 other guys probably.

20. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Voted for Joubert....

I know there are a lot of Patrick Chan haters out there, but he seriously cant be next to go. Both times he has won worlds, he has landed 2 exceptional quads in the long program and have led him to beat Daisuke countless times in the past 2 seasons . And besides Yagudin, Chan has the best skating skills and he deserves to stay around for many more rounds..

21. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Are you just saying that because well it's Yagudin and he must have the best skating skills?

22. Subway

Subway New Member

That's how I look at it when I'm voting.

23. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I agree with shine about skating skills, but I agree with you about all the rest. I would even vote for my all time favourite skater Stephane Lambiel before Chan, if it would be possible.

This time I too voted for Joubert - I won't explain my reasons, as it has already been done over and over again by other people.

24. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

I try to save Joubert by voting Chan :shuffle:

25. crosses9

crosses9 New Member

So there is more interesting in next round..........

26. fscric

fscric Active Member

It's obvious Patrick will be voted off next round, it will only get interesting after that. I'm actually quite surprised Patrick has lasted that long.

27. judgejudy27

I would like to see Kulik go before Chan. As much as the ridiculous Chanflation of the last couple years is annoying and justly creates alot of the anti Chan sentiment that goes around, he was still a far stronger skater and competitor overall than Kulik. Kulik was a great talent but definitely never fully flourished as an amateur.

28. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I agree. I like Kulik just fine, but he is less accomplished than Tara Lipinski, and Tara was targeted early on in the ladies game in part because of her short amateur career. Yet Ilia's amateur career was not much longer, and he has less hardware to show for it.

Frankly I'd have Chan in the top three, but I guess it won't happen.

As for Joubert, I sing this to you :saint:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  29. casken

casken Well-Known Member

This thing could use a a mercy rule about now. :lol:

30. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Well, since it looks like Baboo will be gone soon, he can spend the rest of the summer doing my yardwork, shirtless, of course.