Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 1

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jun 6, 2012.

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2012.
  1. Alexei Urmanov

57 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Todd Eldredge

54 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Elvis Stojko

22 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Ilia Kulik

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Alexei Yagudin

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Evgeni Plushenko

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Stéphane Lambiel

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Brian Joubert

12 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. Jeffrey Buttle

27 vote(s)
    11.6%
  10. Evan Lysacek

41 vote(s)
    17.6%
  11. Daisuke Takahashi

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Patrick Chan

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Inspired by SamuraiK's Ladies' Champions Survivor game, I thought I'd start one for Men.

The contestants are the last twelve men to win a World or Olympic title.

The choices are:

Who is the weakest link? Use whatever criteria you want!

:watch:

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Had to go with Urmanov here. Next is probably Jeffery Buttle then Lysacek.

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

As much as I like him, had to pick Todd. Only one world title, and no Olympic medals, despite attending multiple Olympics. Almost went with Jeff Buttle, since a lot of his medal-winning performances weren't close to clean in the jump department, but he does have an Olympic bronze. Joubert was another candidate but I think he has more world medals than Todd.

4. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

LOL, Vagabond, I was planning to star one for the men tomorrow but you beat me to it:mad::p It's ok though, if you need help with starting the next rounds let me know;)

Men's probably my fave category and I like every single skater here. Well except Chan but he definetly deserves to stay around a few rounds. So I'll go with Eldredge. His skating is by far the less memorable.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Finally- the poll I have been waiting for :lol:

I picked Jeffrey Buttle. In terms of technical ability he was the weakest champion, and he had to get lucky to win the world title. He was beautiful to watch, but he was the most inconsistent jumper among top level skaters. He did win an Olympic bronze, but he made several mistakes even in that. I see him as a talented artist who was very weak on the athletic side.

I am surprised that Todd and Urmanov are getting more votes than anyone else. Todd was a medal contender for many years, and he won other world medals too; just not an Olympic one. Urmanov is hated in N.America because he beat Elvis Stojko in the Olympics. Urmanov had perfect jump technique and he definitely had a style, with lines and posture. IMO he is the most underappreciated (even unappreciated) Olympic champion ever.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Tough one. Voted Urmanov.

7. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Lysacek, simply because he is the only skater whose programs I have absoutely no desire to rewatch. Eldredge and Buttle would be next, but I can find a bit more to enjoy in their skating.

8. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Urmanov was an excellent stylist, despite North American TV people making fun of his costumes.

I picked Buttle.
    I thought his win in Gottenberg was a serious fluke.

9. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

It was a tough choice between Eldredge and Lysacek. I voted Lysacek, but probably should have gone with Eldredge. Neither one ever had a shred of originality, or were memorable in any way.

10. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Voted Todd. All these men are great, but to put Todd in the same company as Yagudin and Plushenko, never mind Kulik and Lambiel and Takahashi does not compute with me. My husband used to call him "No quad Todd."

11. misskarne

misskarne #408

Voted Lysacek for the same reasons.

12. duane

duane New Member

Evan.

13. Vash01

I know this poll has just started, but wouldn't it be shocking if one of the OGM winners (Urmanov or Lysacek) gets booted out FIRST?

14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It's difficult because they are all really good. But in term of pure skating abilities, I think Evan Lysacek is the worst.

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Eldredge is the weakest. In his own era he didnt achieve the success of Stojko, Urmanov or Kulik. Even Candelero, mostly a showboat skater, managed 2 Olympic medals to 0 for Todd. His non rivalry with Stojko was embarassingly bad, Stojko could even not attempt or fall on his quad and still beat a clean Eldredge, whereas vs the Russians Stojko would need his quad to beat them if they skated cleanly. Eldredge went from 1991 to 2001 with only 1 win over Stojko in total. In his World title year he lost U.S Nationals and came last at the GP final. He has never won the GP final, an Olympic medal, and without Stojko's short program fall or Kulik's brain cramp early in his LP wouldnt even have a World title.

Lysacek would have been my second choice. I didnt vote for him though as he could do what Eldredge almost never could do. Win. He also had more powerful jumps (apart from the axel which Todd's was much better), more performance quality even if he was over the top and forced at times, much harder choreography, better footwork, more charisma, and almost equally strong spins.

I would never vote for Jeff. His World title winning performances would have won every Worlds or Olympics from 2007-2010 (Takahashi at the 2010 Worlds would have been the only close call) so I dont see how he was lucky. He certainly is a better skater than Eldredge or Lysacek, even if nowhere near as consistent. All 3 skating cleanly though with their quadless programs, Jeff would blow the other two away.

16. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I voted Evan because of the poor 3A.

Todd was an amazing skater, great spins, good technique and powerful programs. I wouldn't vote him off yet. I'm not going by medals but by who performed the strongest overall programs.

17. aidan

aidan Active Member

ITA. I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I'm shocked Eldredge has so many votes. He did win 6 World medals, including a World title. That's made more impressive by the fact he did this over a 10 year period, so he had longevity and consistency.

Sure, he didn't win an Olympic medal, but that's not the barometer that I used to measure things. In fact, in the three Olympics he competed in, he was really only favoured to win a medal in Nagano. Timing and injuries just weren't his friend with regards to the Olympics.

My vote went to Urmanov. Even though I don't love his style, I acknowledge he's an excellent skater, but he just underperformed at most major championships except for the 94' Olypmics. He couldn't crack the World podium once after his Olympic win. I mean, when you look at his record at major championships (Worlds and Olympics), he basically has the same record as Sarah Hughes.

18. briancoogaert

I didn't vote for Eldredge because he has good skating skills, or at least, better than Lysacek's. But he was awfully Zzzzzzzz.

19. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Not shocking given the large anti-Lysacek sentiment on FSU.

20. briancoogaert

Anti-Lysacek ?
    Evan was a hero when he won over Plushenko ! ;)

21. Mafke

Mafke New Member

People are only voting for Lysacek because he beat Plushenko....

22. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I agree. I always get a good laugh when people claim that Lysacek lacks skating skills. Since 2006, how many times did Lysacek finish off the podium in a competition? Twice (4th 2006 Olympics & 5th 2007 Worlds)

23. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Plushenko is anything but a fan fave around here so I seriously doubt that. :lol:

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Urmanov actually followed his Olympic win with a couple of very strong skates in the following years (1995 Euros, 1996 GPF, 1997 Euros), even though he was never too consistent or healthy at Worlds after 1994. Even 3 years after his Olympic win, he was still seen by the judges as the best when all the top skaters skated clean (1997 Worlds short program). He had interesting choreography and textbook jumps. He was a damn good skater.

Lysacek won both Worlds and Olympics and didn't really have any significant flaws as a skater or competitor other than the 3axel technique. He is by no means my favorite but he also does not deserve to be out of the game before some of the others do.

Voted for Stojko. Without the jumps he really has nothing. He was a great athlete, great jumper, but just an average skater and a poor artist.

Eldredge was dull but I admire that he worked hard to become a great spinner when spinning wasn't at all valued by the system back then. I do think he was lacking in versatility. Was torn between him and Stojko but would prefer to see a great spinner stay for one more round.

25. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Haven't decided who will get my vote, but ... to set the record straight, Urmanov did go on to win both a GPF (when it was called the "Championship Series Final) and a European title after his OGM, so I think his record is quite a bit better than that of Sarah Hughes.

26. Vash01

Plushenko is one of the most hated skaters on this board. People have their own reasons for voting for Lysacek and they have nothing to do with Plushenko.

27. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

As if he's the only one on the list who had a poor 3A! :shuffle:

28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Which quality of Evan's was so worse than say, Brian's? To be clear, I'm no hater of both but I'd definitely put Evan ahead of Brian for being stronger.

29. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

ITA. Moreover, Urmanov probably would've won 1997 Worlds if he didn't get injured and was forced to withdraw before the FS. Urmanov won the QR, SP, and based on how mediocre much of the skating was among the top men during the FS, would probably have no problem winning overall even if he made a couple of mistakes.

30. aidan

aidan Active Member

That's why I specified I was comparing their records at major championship (Olympics and Worlds). See quote below.

It's difficult to compare results across other events, because Worlds and Olympics are the only two events where the Worlds best compete against each other.

Euro's is a regional competition and the GPF excludes many skaters who have elected not to compete in the GP for whatever reason.

And for the record, Sarah did win a couple of medals at the GPF. And while their is no true Euro's equivalent, if she chose to compete at 4CC, she likely would have captured a few medals.

I'm definitely not a fan of Sarah Hughes skating and would never compare her abilities to Urmanov (who IMO was a better skater than Eldredge and Stojko), but sadly their competitive records at major championships is basically the same.