Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's Final Three

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jul 16, 2012.

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2012.
  1. Alexei Yagudin

51 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Stéphane Lambiel

154 vote(s)
    44.3%
  3. Daisuke Takahashi

143 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The tribe has spoken.

Evgeni Plushenko (4th) has been voted off. :violin: <------ Edvard Marton smilie

The original contestants were the last twelve men to win a World or Olympic title.

Previous eliminees are:

Ilia Kulik (5th)
    Patrick Chan (6th)
    Brian Joubert (7th)
    Jeffrey Buttle (8th)
    Elvis Stojko (9th)
    Evan Lysacek (10th)
    Todd Eldredge (11th)
    Alexei Urmanov (12th)

Okay, folks! There is nowhere left to hide. You have to eliminate one of your favorites!

:EVILLE:

The three remaining skaters are:

• Alexei Yagudin: Worlds 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, Olys 2002, Worlds Silver 2001, Worlds Bronze 1997
    • Stéphane Lambiel: Worlds 2005, 2006, Olys Silver 2006, Worlds Bronze 2007
    • Daisuke Takahashi: Worlds 2010, Worlds Silver 2007, 2012, Olys Bronze 2010

Alexei Yagudin Competitive Highlights
    Stéphane Lambiel Competitive Highlights
    Daisuke Takahashi Competitive Highlights

Bonus videos:

Alexei Yagudin

Worlds 1999 SP
    Worlds 1999 FS
    Worlds 2000 SP
    Worlds 2000 FS
    Worlds 2001 SP
    Worlds 2001 FS

Stéphane Lambiel

Worlds 2004 SP
    Worlds 2005 FS
    Worlds 2007 SP
    Worlds 2007 FS
    Euros 2008 SP
    Euros 2008 FS

Daisuke Takahashi

Skate America 2005 SP
    Skate America 2005 FS
    Four Continents 2011 SP
    Four Continents 2011 FS
    Worlds 2012 SP
    Worlds 2012 FS

Who is the weakest link? Use whatever criteria you want.

:watch:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Still can't believe Plushenko got the boot. Lambiel for me this time, again.

3. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

My criteria is gonna go by looks, so Takahashi gets the boot.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Takahashi. Lambiel has more World titles, a higher Olympic medal, and 2 GP final wins to 0 for Takahashi.

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think Takahashi is the clear weak link here. All three are, to me, quite provocative and artistic, and lovely to watch, but Takahashi has by far the weakest list of achievements.

6. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Lambiel. Takahashi may have the weakest resume, but based on overall performances, he still ranks better. Takahashi should have won Worlds in both 2010 and 2012. And while Lambiel has a higher medal color at the Olympics, his 2006 Olympic performances weren't good at all. He was just lucky to win a medal in an utter splatfest.

I also prefer Takahashi's style. I found Lambiel to be sloppy at times, and his Four Seasons program, in particular, was a mess.

7. flipforsynchro

At least Lambiel was a hot mess

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: :slinkaway :scream:

9. flipforsynchro

Since Plushy left last round, I decided to take advantage of the "no criteria" and voted with my personal likings.

10. blue_idealist

Agreed!

11. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

This!

12. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I will continue to vote for Lambiel

13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

:confused: He did win in 2010.

14. Kunstrijdster

Kunstrijdster New Member

And there goes the purpose of voting Plushy off. The only reason why I voted for Plush was that a face off between him and Yags was pretty predictable. Apparently not even the combined power of Lambiel and Takahashi can stop Yagudin, I was kidding myself anyway when I thought it could be close. Still, he gets my vote :D

15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Unfortunately had to vote for Takahashi again. I think that he and Lambiel are pretty equal, but I just love Lambiel even more.

16. blue_idealist

Thanks.. I missed that mistake too even though I wasn't the OP of that.. I think the original poster meant 2011.. ??

17. t.mann

t.mann New Member

:rofl: :mitchell: at top 3 strong champions being Yagudin-Lambiel-Takahashi, not Yagudin-Plushenko-Chan.
    Although I think Lambiel is almost the only true artist since Curry.

18. fscric

fscric Active Member

Someone truly believes Takahashi should have won 2011 World?

Well, my prediction that Lambiel and Plushenko would go before Takahashi is correct, though the order is different.

19. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I'm guessing that shady82 was just saying that Takahashi should be a two-time World Champion as well, so the fact of Lambiel having two World titles doesn't (for him/her) count against the former the way it does for some voters in this poll.

20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

To tell the truth, I don't believe that Daisuke could have won this year. Even if his and Chan's component scores had been identical, it wouldn't be enough for Dai to close the gap in both programs. I know that many people think that Daisuke's components should be higher than Patrick's, but I don't believe that either, as there are areas (skating skills, transitions) where Chan is a bit superior. Choreography, interpretation - depends on what points judges see as more important, and also on taste (for me the choreo of Daisuke's programs was more original, and his personal understanding of music - better, but if we look at rules, there are also other things that are taken into account). Imho, the only component where Dai was clearly superior was P/E, but even that is subjective. I am not going into the technical score and GOEs now.

21. blue_idealist

I don't know if I'm just sleepy, but I'm not making sense tonight. I actually just think Takahashi should have won the 2012 Worlds. I don't know why I said 2011. Haha.

22. senorita

senorita New Member

Undecided yuet but there are still days :).
    I cant vote for lambiel. I have the sweetest memory of him crying in Torino podium plus I truly loved his four seasons costume very much and he made people imagine a zebra watching the snow for the first time in reality.
    Also the last time I saw him in competition, in Euros 2010 his Lp was a joy to end the competition. I have this moment well in my heart.
    I need arguments for the two left. Daisuke is more flaboyant - my type of skater and I have his programs more fresh in my memory...and has surely the best hair of the three.

23. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

Me either. Vote for Takahashi.

24. lily

lily Active Member

yeah, but Stéphane is still loosing. Where are all Stéphane fans? :D

25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Voting Yagudin. I'm a fan, his 1999 worlds FS is amazing, I love his "Broken Arrow" FS that he dropped, his 2001 Chopin sp and Gladiator FS at their best were nearly orgasmic. :D

However, as powerful as he can be, he's clearly does not quite the same level of skating skill that Takahashi or Lambiel have. His programs were effective, but were mostly variations of the same program year in and year out. Every program also always had a dead point around 3/4 of the way into the program where he would just skate around hunched over doing mediocre spirals and spread eagles before trying to take it home with the footwork. He rarely could hold a camel spin more than two revolutions and frequently landed jumps hunched over like Stojko.

His wins in 98 and 2000 were from poorly skated events that he was lucky to win. He only skated his best at 1999 worlds and the 2002 Olympics/Worlds.

His 2002 programs were safe and disappointing. The LP is his least inspired of his senior career, and *unpopular opinion alert*, his sp wasn't as good as his 1999 or 2001 sps.

But he's hot as f*ck though.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  26. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

You're very brave, casken!

btw, I agree 100% with you

27. senorita

senorita New Member

you are not alone, Broken arrow of Yagudin is my fav program of his, together with R. etude sp (and Winter of course) and may I say Tosca, and I love it much more than MITIM or Gladiator.
    I m repeating myself from previous polls,lol.

28. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I voted for Yagudin. Why have Takahashi and Lambiel fans not united so far and voted Yagudin out, LOL.

29. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Agree completely with this statement. I never really understood why Winter got the reaction it did. I remember the first time i saw it I cracked up laughing at what I then described on RSSIF as the riduclous toe picky-picky steps :lol:

Also agree!

30. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

As a die hard Yags fan I've to agree in many ways (but please!!! take the Stojko comparison
    away! ;) ), but, I just cannot vote for/against him, I SIMPLY CAN'T!!! :shuffle: All those memories ... :swoon:

Neither I can vote for/against Stephane and/or Daisuke ... so I guess I'll quit!
    Yes, call me a coward ... :slinkaway