Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 8

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 1, 2012.

Who is the weakest link among these past champions?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2012.
  1. Lu Chen

137 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Michelle Kwan

21 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Irina Slutskaya

43 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Mao Asada

120 vote(s)
    34.3%
  5. Yuna Kim

29 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

I'm sad about last week's decision but the tribe has spoken :( and lovely Shiz bows out of the game...

6TH PLACE: SHIZUKA ARAKAWA (39.06% of votes)

The remaining contenders are:
    01. Lu Chen - CHN - 1995 World Champion.
    02. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    03. Irina Slutskaya - RUS - 2002 and 2005 World Champion.
    04. Mao Asada - JPN - 2008 and 2010 World Champion.
    05. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.

Already Eliminated:
    07th Place - Tara Lipinski (37.15% votes)
    08th Place - Carolina Kostner (41.39% votes)
    09th Place - Maria Butyrskaya (32.67% votes)
    10th Place - Miki Ando (24.90% votes)
    11th place - Sarah Hughes (53.06% votes)
    12th place - Kimmie Meissner (50.26% votes)

Only the strongest remain. They all have made it to the gala of this game:lol: You decide who doesn't make the podium;)

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  2. SamuraiK

At first I was going to vote for Chen, but thennI realised Mao hasn't had the stellar carreer everyone was predicting six years ago. And even her two world titles weren't that smashing (2008 was a splatfest where even she fell hard and 2010 lost the SP to newcomer Nagasu and the LP to an unmotivated Yuna).

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Irina Slutskaya.
    I admire her qualities, but compared to the others, her skating lacks of lightness, grace, and she was not technically that superior.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Lu Chen. She has way overstayed her welcome.

5. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Mao Asada is one of the most overrated skaters ever.

- Unlike any of the great lady skaters, she hasn't left a signature program.
    - Even her 2 world title was lackluster, failing to win neither sp nor fs both times.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I love Mao, but I had to vote for her.

7. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

^ This.

8. judgejudy27

Lu Chen skated the performance of her life and STILL lost her World title as the reigning Champion. Imagine that ever happening to any of the others on this list, LOL! She was never even a contender for an Olympic Gold. She isnt even in the league of the others on this list.

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This is really hard.
    You know that with a stronger federation, she could have been consider as a contender. ;)

10. judgejudy27

Shen & Zhou, Pang & Tong, Zhang & Zhang, Sui & Han, came from the same federation and still managed to get higher scores than they deserve on a regular basis, especialy the last 2 or 3 of those. The Chinese fed. being weak is a myth.

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

First of all, that's very debatable for Shen and Zhou as well as Pang and Tong. However, even if you say that the four of them have been overscored, that's only been in the IJS system. I doubt that you'd argue that in the era of the 6.0, they were all overscored. If anything, Shen and Zhao were underscored in 6.0 because of their nationality. The Chinese fed was quite weak until recently, and even then, it's only in pairs. Han Yan is not being overscored, and neither is Zijun Li or Kexin Zhang. Their dance teams aren't being overscored either.

12. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Who wants to bet that it comes down to Kwan vs. Kim?

I voted Lu, next Slutskaya, Asada, Kim, and Kwan is the winner.

13. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Another vote for Mao. I did enjoy her circa 2005-2007 when she was more jovial, but I have not enjoyed her at all the last few years. I don't know if it's her obsession with the triple axel or her frustration with the under-rotation and edge calls, but she lost her spark a long time ago.

Although Irina is my least favorite skater of the remaining ladies, I can't ignore her longevity and consistency.

14. Macassar88

I'm surprised that Yuna got so many votes.

15. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

All the Maobots are coming out in droves :scream:

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Under 6.0, I think they were way overscored at 2002 Olys, 2003 Worlds (SP) and 2004 Worlds. :shuffle:

Chen was more underscored because she was THE breakthrough skater from China. The very idea of having a Chinese skater on the podium wasn't there before Chen. That in turn made it easier for S&Z, which made it easier for P&T, and pretty soon you have the Zhangs racking up massive scores... :shuffle:

So yeah I'd say it's different. The Chinese federation is very powerful now, but it wasn't during Chen's time, and in fact I give her some credit for that country becoming a powerhouse.

17. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Yes, I can.

Kwan just barely won 01 worlds despite skating wonderfully. Had Irina kept her shyte together for once, she'd be 01 champ. I'd also argue that Irina was winning 02 worlds no matter what. And then there is the matter of 04 worlds, most notably the questionable sp scores for Kwan.

Irina's 03 lp was crap, and no way her Euros winning skates would beat Kwan's quiet confidence that year.

Had Maria skated a clean 00 lp, she very well may have defended her title, and she's been gone from this poll for a while now, so....

She may not have been as favored as Nancy and Oksana in 94, but she was int he mix should either implode, as both were want to do.
    So says you, with blatant disregard for her world and olympic medals which prove that for the entire time she skated, she was considered podium material just like everyone else on this list. The judges obviously disagreed with you.

18. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Flaws in your arguments stem from the fact that you always assume that judges' marks are correct and hence the competition results juestified.
    I just don't think this is always the case.

19. SamuraiK

This actually confirms they are just bots and don't know how to vote strategicaly.:lol: If they were smart, they will leave the Yuna hate aside and would vote for Chen who's the likely candidate to get kicked out.

20. judgejudy27

So even Maria was more of a threat to win 2 Worlds than Chen one and she was one of the first people gone. Exactly.

Bonaly was also more favored than Chen in 94. She was 4th favorite at best, and not a potential gold medalist.

On the contrary, the judges obviously agree with me. She is the only person on the list to not have atleast 2 World or Olympic titles, and the only one on the list to not win atleast Olympic silver. The judges did not even think she was the best the year she won Worlds, it was due to Bobek's implosion that her win was possible. The judges viewed her worthy of less medals and titles than several women already voted out in fact.

21. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I think it's Lu Chen's time. I've been voting for her since the round Lipinski was voted out. I love her skating, but I don't think her competitiveness and overall level (technically) can compare with the other skaters on this list.

The other skater I would have considered is Mao Asada. Mao is a strong technical skater who can pull off triple-triples and triple axels, and delivers terrific spins and spirals. She's also fairly strong artistically. Artistically, her Chopin SP was better than any of Slutskaya's programs, for example. True, she never won Worlds convincingly with two completely clean programs. But she was usually a contender for the top, and was a solid 2nd place in Vancouver.

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

We all know you hate Lulu to death so just give it up. Please. :angryfire

Geez, I never knew Lulu haters existed until you came along.

Anyways, I voted for Irina. Lulu and her are close, in my opinion, but Irina was just not polished enough nor artistic enough to be on the same list as these skaters even if she did win 2 Worlds and has 2 Olympic medals.

23. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    This is why I feel this is one of the most unpleasant polls.
    I hope both of you are just kidding saying them.
    I know this is off season, and some people say they are doing it just for fun, but is this really funny? Is this poll really worth doing ? Some people even judge skaters without actually seeing their skating live and can say whatever they want by just seeing the skaters only on screens. I think it is not fair.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  24. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

:huh:

Why are you getting your panties all in a twist over a meaningless poll on a message board?

25. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Yes, as the clunkiest skater left Irina must go. Well, actually she was the clunkiest once Hughes got offed.

26. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

This poll is going to give us a precise count of how many of them there are who still visit FSU. :COP:

27. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I'm out of reps for you...

Tho' I always thought of Sarah as more gawky than clunky..Fine line there..:p

28. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Chen. I like her, and she has an impressive medal count but she's lucky to have made it this far IMO. Mao is next on the chopping block for me in round 9.

I'm surprised to see so many Slutskaya votes. She's my least personal favorite of the few remaining, but she was WAY more competitive and accomplished more than Chen or Asada.

29. Plusdinfo

Plusdinfo Member

My response to that: we are all interpreting this poll in the way we want. If we were historians analyzing achievements, there would likely be reasonable consensus and this would be a much less complex, heated thread.

I take this as more of a personal judgment poll, not a "the judges did that, so I'll repeat how they scored the skaters". There's more I could write as a continuation, but I likely won't.

30. Macassar88

Have you seen all of these skaters live? If not, are you not voting?
    Most people cannot watch every skating competition live anyway.