Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 6

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jun 21, 2012.

Who is the weakest link among these past champions

Poll closed Jun 26, 2012.
  1. Lu Chen

49 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Michelle Kwan

18 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Tara Lipinski

120 vote(s)
    37.2%
  4. Irina Slutskaya

21 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Shizuka Arakawa

84 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Mao Asada

21 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Yu-Na Kim

10 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Last round was the first time all the skaters got votes in the 2 digits numbers and first time Irina didn't "win". As for Caro, we're soo used to see her placing higher than most would agree with that this game was no exception:p..

8TH PLACE : CAROLINA KOSTNER (41.39% of votes)

The remaining contenders are:

01. Lu Chen - CHN - 1995 World Champion.
    02. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    03. Tara Lipinski - USA - 1997 World and 1998 Olympic Champion.
    04. Irina Slutskaya - RUS - 2002 and 2005 World Champion.
    05. Shizuka Arakawa - JPN - 2004 World and 2006 Olympic Champion.
    06. Mao Asada - JPN - 2008 and 2010 World Champion.
    07. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.

Already Eliminated:
    09th Place - Maria Butyrskaya (32.67% votes)
    10th Place - Miki Ando (24.90% votes)
    11th place - Sarah Hughes (53.06% votes)
    12th place - Kimmie Meissner (50.26% votes)

Only olympics medallists are left. Who do YOU want out this time;)

2. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

By the way, by popular request the voting period is reduced to 5 days.

That being said. Off with Lipinski. A true champion, but a jumping bean among this superior ladies.

3. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Hmmm Lu Chen. Great female skater. One world championship and somewhat unlucky in 1996. But I'll leave that debate to those that can debate all day. Two bronze medals at Olympics. But her achievements seem smaller than everyone else left. Besides I like Lipinski.

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Sort of torn between Lu Chen and Shizuka. Can't decide just yet.

5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

:lol: so true!

6. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Yes. 3 OGMs + 3 OSMs + 1 OBM :encore:

BTW, I voted for Arakawa.

7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am going to vote for either Chen or Arakawa. Will wait until more votes come in to see if there is any realistic chance for either to go before deciding which to vote for. It already looks like Arakawa is my only chance to keep Tara in the game longer so I am going with her.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  8. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

*sigh* I will be sad to see Arakawa go. But I'm ready to defend Mao Asada when the time comes. Which I guess is when we get to the top four.

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Sorry, Lu Chen, but I voted for you... :shuffle:

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Arakawa.

Between her and Lipinski, they both had 1 world title and 1 OGM, but Arakawa had more unsuccessful tries. Despite the longevity of her career relative to Lipinski, she wasn't all that consistent or competitive in the years she didn't win. And even in the years she won, she won as an outside title contender.

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I voted for Shizuka Arakawa.
    But to be honest, it's really difficult to vote, as I could have voted for anyone but Michelle Kwan and Yu-Na Kim !

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It came down to Shizuka vs. Lulu. I picked Shizuka even though she has great basic skating skills because she really won only two titles in her very long career (2004 worlds and 2006 Olympics). Chen Lu had a more successful career over a longer period.

13. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I voted for Lipinski mostly on the grounds of

a) short eligible career, combined with

b) not much of a professional career, combined with

c) technique that hasn't aged well

I'm seeing the rest of my voting going (roughly and subject to change)

Arakawa (love her to death, but erratic)
    Asada (recognize her achievements but do. not. get.)
    Chen (love her to death, but...)
    Kim (awesome but someone's gotta go)
    Slutskaya (on general long career grounds)
    Kwan (I really gotta explain?)

14. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I have to ponder this one.

I liked Tara's eligible programs, particularly her 97 "Little Women" and "Sense and Sensibility"..Her musical choices reflected her age and size.And I never thought that her presentation was as bad as others have stated.

I appreciate Irina's SS, her spring on her jumps, but her presentation was on the "klunky" side, IMHO..

LuLu, ethereal..definitely my kind of skater.

Shiz..Gained an appreciation for her at Skate America 03, much the same as the first time that I saw Rochette in person..Loved her feet and smoothness..

I'm leaving Michelle, YuNa and Mao alone for now.

I'll get back to you.

15. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

NOOOOO:(
    Why are you guys voting for Arakawa? :confused:she's the most skater's skater of the ones remaining, and truly one of the great basic skaters of all time:shizuka1::shizuka1::shizuka1:
    I know she was inconsistent as hell, but I could watch her just do crossovers the whole day:swoon:...
    Anyway, I vote for Lipinski...I've been voting for her since round 2 or 3:scream:

16. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Gotta vote for Tara
    Anyway I'm surprised that so many people are voting for Chen. She had some of the best artistry, a true lutz and a full set of proper well executed jumps. I also really liked the way that she delayed the rotation in her jumps.

Anyway I feel like she was robbed in both 96 and 93. In 93 she got third behind Oksana who only had a jump sequence and Surya who had no artistry. She did two great lutzes and already had great presentation.

17. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I'm voting for Shizuka. At least Tara got more wins in a shorter time, and she was so competitive. Even if her technique sucks.

18. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about Arakawa. Just beautiful. Yes, I too could watch her just do crossovers around the rink and enjoy it.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It is time for Lipiniski to go.

20. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Voting for Chen Lu. I believe she is the weakest left when it comes down to technical ability. And i personally didnt like her style of skating.

21. Amy03

Amy03 Member

voted for irena her skating never really touched me

22. duane

duane New Member

If Tara is the weakest link, what does that say about her biggest rival Michelle, who placed 2nd to Tara at 97 Worlds, 97 Grand Prix, 97 Nationals, and 98 Olympics? Just asking. ;)

I'm voting for Arakawa or Irina. Arakawa has Olympic gold, but it bothers me that she didn't attempt either of her two planned 3/3 combos. With Irina, she failed to deliver too many times, so my vote will likely go to her.

23. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

While ITA with you, I think people have been very clear thus far in their Tara hate. If one more person writes "___________ was a woman, Tara was a girl" I'll just barf. Which I guess answers your Kwan question: her famous tata spiral saves her. Apparently, skating while boobed is very important at fsu.

24. bartek

bartek New Member

Irina failed to deliver too many times? She has about the same amount of clean free skates as Kwan has. You think Slutskaya should go before Lipinski? That's ridiculous. Quite everything about Irina, maybe except spirals, is superior to Lipinski. Jumps, spins, skating skills, achievements, longevity, career. When Tara competed she was of course more consistent, but Irina later in her career got the consistency and presentation she lacked before 2000. From 2004-2006 she consistently pulled off 5-7 triple programs.

25. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Shizuka.

I think she was a gorgeous skater with wonderful skills but to say she competed as long as she did, given her skill set, she should have accomplished a lot more. She lacked competitive fire and focus and was far too sporadic with her brilliance. Her gold medal win in Torino was good but definitely one of the more lackluster performances I've seen in terms of OGM wins. Her 2004 worlds performance was 3x better IMO.

Shizuka's inconsistency and lack of dominance is why I pick her to go before Lipinski. Tara's career was over in the blink of an eye but her competitiveness and focus are what lift her slightly above Shizuka in my eyes.

26. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

That last statement is completely untrue I am pretty sure. In the regular season there might not be a big difference but at big events like Olympics and Worlds Kwan has many more clean free skates than Irina. The judges were willing to give Irina the World title 5 or 6 times and the Olympic Gold twice (more than she probably deserves, but that is another topic) and she only managed to win 2 combined World in Olympic events out of all that. So she wasnt a clutch big event competitor to the extent of Kwan or Lipinski, not at all.

Actually the only clean competition Irina did in a World or Olympic event ever was the 2002 Worlds where she did watered down routines in 2 of the 3 rounds and safely cruised to an easy gold after Kwan stumbled in the short. 2005 Worlds she botched the short program. 1997 Worlds she had a great and courageous free skate, but only after bombing the short program. The only clean competition she did in all her Grand Prix final wins was the 1999-2000 Grand Prix final, she also skated 2 clean programs at the 1995-1996 Grand Prix final but didnt win. I dont remember all her performances at Europeans but her best ones were 1996, 2000, and 2006.

27. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Shizuka Arakawa

28. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Off with Irina. Compared to the others left in the group, I find her unfinished and unpolished. I get that she's very athletic and won many competitions, but for me all the others are more complete on the presentation/artistic impression side.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  29. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I agree. Skating under pressure was never Irina's forte. She'd have good or decent performances, but in the 6.0 era the name of the game was good clean quality over flash and quantity and it took Irina a very long time to learn that lesson...not too sure if she ever really learned it to be honest.

Irina lost many a world championship due to her inability to skate cleanly. In 2000 and 2001 Irina had the lead over Michelle heading into the LP but couldn't skate cleanly enough to hang on. Especially in 2001: Irina followed up a clean 7-triple performance by Michelle with a flawed and messy 6-triple program in which she tried to do way too much and she ended up losing.

At the Olympics both of Irina's LPs (2002, 2006) had obvious errors as well. She definitely had a number of clean performances but under the pressure of the world/Olympic stage, she did not hold up as well as Michelle did.

30. bartek

bartek New Member

I didn't talk about only Worlds/Olympics performances. I meant their overall amount of clean skates in their career. Slutskaya, like it or not, has lots of them. And that's right, she stumbled under pressure at 2000 and 2001 Worlds and of course at both Olympics but she should've won in 2002 based on the SP. Kwan was gifted first place SP at those Olympics and it was she who was favouired by the judges to win the gold in Salt Lake. In Torino, Vancouver and Nice, the gold was Irina to take but she did stumbled under the pressure. So she had four occasions where she could have won had she skated cleanly. However, she would've been clean at 2001 Worlds, hadn't she gone for the second, very tough triple-triple. If she had just landed triple sal-triple loop-double toe and then triple lutz-double loop, she would've won the look. Of course it's not a sufficient justification, that she put in a lot of difficult content. Skating clean is skating clean, yet she should get some credit for attempting difficult combos.
    Now, look at what lead up to 2000 Worlds, 2001 Worlds and 2005 Worlds and 2006 Olympics. Win after win over Michelle. There was a lot talk about the fact that from 1999-2000 GPF Irina always beat Michelle when they met, apart from 2000 and 2001 Worlds. If you don't believe that Irina skated cleanly many many times in her career just go on youtube and see those, off the top of my head:
    1996 Euros
    1997 Worlds
    1999-2000 GPF (both FS's)
    2000 Euros
    2005 Worlds
    2005 Cup of Russia
    2004 Marshall's World Cup
    2004 Marshall's World Skating Challenge
    2005 GPF
    2005 Cup of China
    2001 Nationals
    2002 Worlds (both QR and FS)
    That's 14 clean free skates off the top of my head. I'm sure there are some more. Kim has only two in her career. Arakawa 3 for sure (2004 Worlds QR and FS, 2006 Olympics), maybe more. Kostner has naver skated a clean long.
    Lipinski and Kwan, on the other hand, have tons of clean free skates.