Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 5

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link among these past champions

Poll closed Jun 21, 2012.
  1. Lu Chen

18 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. Michelle Kwan

10 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Tara Lipinski

79 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Irina Slutskaya

11 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Shizuka Arakawa

37 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Mao Asada

12 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Yu-Na Kim

10 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. Carolina Kostner

125 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

And another one bites the dust!! This time our favorite late bloomer champion got axed..

9TH PLACE: MARIA BUTYRSKAYA (32.67% of votes)

The remaining contenders are (I'm incluidng some SP links this time):

01. Lu Chen - CHN - 1995 World Champion.
    02. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    03. Tara Lipinski - USA - 1997 World and 1998 Olympic Champion.
    04. Irina Slutskaya - RUS - 2002 and 2005 World Champion.
    05. Shizuka Arakawa - JPN - 2004 World and 2006 Olympic Champion.
    06. Mao Asada - JPN - 2008 and 2010 World Champion.
    07. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.
    08. Carolina Kostner - ITA - 2012 World Champion.

Already Eliminated:

10th Place - Miki Ando (24.90% votes)
    11th place - Sarah Hughes (53.06% votes)
    12th place - Kimmie Meissner (50.26% votes)

Vote and enjoy!;)

2. SamuraiK

NOw, while I have voted for Tara the last 2 rounds and I still enjoy her skating the least of all the skaters left, there's something very wrong with Meltdown Queen Carolina Kostner surviving for half of this game.

She NEEDS to go now!! Bye Carolina.

3. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I voted Shizuka for reasons already stated. I don't know if Kostner's recent success is a fluke, or if she is a late bloomer with more success to come.

4. RD

RD Well-Known Member

ETA

Frankly it's beyond me how Kostner has gotten this far. She must have more fans here than I thought/expected...

Honestly, it's her turn this time.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  5. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I clicked on what I thought was a link to an image of Butyrskaya and found a map of Turkey instead.

ETA: Never mind. It works now. :)

Voting for Kostner again...

6. SamuraiK

Really I get The Maria Pic???:confused:

7. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Perhaps it's just a browser issue on my end. I dunno.

8. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Jezis effing christo how the eff is caro "Bambi legs" kostner still here?!?!

Eta: I get a link to turkey too. Does tugba a have hacking skills? :lol:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

:( Maria

Ok, I'm voting Tara again.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Well, now that Maria is gone, it's gotta be Carolina.

I don't get why people want Tara out now. Maybe she didn't have longevity, but saying she's worse than Kostner? *shakes head*

*gasp* someone voted for Kwan? I still think she's going to eventually win though.

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Voted for Carolina again. Again, I like her a lot, she's a worthy World champ, but in terms of accomplishments, consistency, etc., she's a step behind the other ladies on this poll.

12. shady82

shady82 New Member

Carolina again, she should have gone two rounds ago. *Although I was very happy for her when she won Worlds this year.

13. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'd argue Kostner should have been out from round 2...Hughes & Ando went out too early IMHO.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Carolina really needs to go now.

15. icellist

icellist Member

i didn't really care about tara's longevity. it's really her presentation and skating skills that irks me.

16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I love Caro and hate to vote for her, but she is now the weakest on this list IMHO too. Kostner be gone.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I tried to be objective. It's difficult because all those girls are amazing in their own way, even if I don't like certain skaers' style !

My vote goes, sadly, to Tara Lipinski.

18. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

For the third time - Carolina.

19. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

as we talk about skating champions, skating skills are really important, and Taras are weak. It's her turn now

20. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I cannot believe that two skaters with as much personality as Ando and Butyrskaya (often wrong-headed but they've got it to spare) got the axe while a skater like Kostner (either stumbling, boring or stumbling and boring is still around....

If Kostner doesn't go this time then it's a poor verdict on the voters.

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:confused:
    Tara had speed, edges, ice coverage. One thing she had over caro was control. Hyper presentation style yes, but Tara never stumped around or looked sloppy. For years caro looked like a driver above the speed limit, texting and holding a coffee cup, swerving all over the road.
    Yes Tara's jumps were teeny tiny, a mere few inches off the ice, but they had good flow and good air position.
    She herself was tiny, which is why I think her presentation often suffered. She was often extended and pointed and stretched in a way other, taller skaters never were. Caro is very long and lean, which is one reason why she often looked awkward and gangly, with Bambi legs splaying all over the ice.

22. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

:sekret: Speedy and his bloc will once again mount a late week voting rampage to save Carolina :lol:

23. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

This is getting a little old. We're going to start seeing the same arguments over and over and over again. I voted out Maria this past round. I liked a few qualities about her skating but in terms of overall skater + accomplishments, she comes out on the lower end. This round would be a close race b/w Carolina and Shizuka (with Tara as an outside vote) for me. Both are amazing skaters with great skills but both struggle(d) with inconsistency which knocks them down into the potential category. Given their skill sets they had the potential to be world/Olympic champion several times over, but lack of competitive focus and consistency did them in.

Shizuka managed to win the two big titles (worlds and the Olympics) but outside of those two competitions her results were very sporadic. She was a late bloomer; I had no idea she'd been competing since 1995. Shizuka didn't really become a medal contender until the 2002-2003 season. From there onward she remained a top 5 finisher on the GP (one gold at NHK, several silver and bronze). She never meadaled at junior worlds; of her four trips to senior worlds (from 1998, 2003-2005) she finished 22nd, 8th, 1st and 9th.

Shizuka was the underdog in Torino (Sasha and Irina were the favorites) but managed to win. I was happy for her and thought she deserved the win, but that whole competition was a splatfest. Shizuka delivered a solid program in a sea mistake-ridden programs and she walked away with the title. Comparing her winning performance to a number of other Olympic performances...it doesn't rank high for me. It was decent, but not memorable for me...that's just me though. I'm sure others feel differently.

Shizuka was a lovely skater with difficult jumps but her lack of consistency is what puts her on the block for me. You could have every 3-3 combo under the sun, but if you can't execute the jumps and skate with consistency it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what you're capable of; what matters is what you deliver at go-time. If judging in terms of difficult jumps and technique, she'd be a strong candidate to win this poll. But when looking at the overall package (jumps, consistency, dominance, titles, etc.), I'm afraid she doesn't match up well against the remaining skaters.

Carolina's story is the exact same: sporadic placements (ranging from 12th to 1st at worlds since 2002), lack of consistency, etc. I guess the only reason I'd pick Carolina to stay this round is b/c she is currently at the top of the sport with plans to continue competing. Never mind the jumps or lack thereof she used to get there, she's the world champion and it's been tough to beat her in the last year. Yeah, she's winning with easier jumps but that speaks more to her other skills as a skater...it also reflects her level of competition. If she's doing toes and loops then it shouldn't be that hard for a skater with a ton of technical firepower to take her down...unless they don't have the skating skills to back it up, which hardly anyone does.

That's why she's the champion. The jumps do enough to keep her afloat and she uses the rest of her skating win and, until someone comes who can out-jump her and match her other qualities, I don't see anything wrong with what she's doing. Why do more if you don't have to? If all you need is a 3t-3t to win, why take a risk by doing something harder? If you succeed, way to go; if you fail, you just needlessly took yourself out of contention. A smart skater plays to their strengths and that's why Carolina has been doing so well these last two years...I ain't even mad at her. No lutz? In last year's field, who gives a @#$%? Certainly not the judges...

Carolina is one of only two active skaters remaining on this list (Mao). Everyone else has long since retired or probably has no plans to come back. That means that Carolina's not done yet. Her technical content has regressed somewhat but in terms of performance, choreography, interpretation, consistency and results, she's on the up-swing which means she could add several more titles to her name.

Tara's my outside vote simply b/c she was around for only two seasons and then left. While she was competing she had everything except maturity, interpretation, presence...things that come with age. She looked like a little kid zipping around the rink and jumping. She improved her presentation in 1998 but she still looked like a little kid trying to do grown up moves. We never got the chance to see a mature and refined Tara Lipinski skate.

Still, she had the firepower, the focus and the consistency. She was a tough competitor who won everything which is why I'd keep her safe for now.

24. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

It would be very shocking if she survives past half the surviving ladies on the poll :yikes:

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Voted for Arakawa because she lacked projection.

26. bartek

bartek New Member

Kostner again. She should've left before Ando. I hope she's finally out this time.

I would personally knock out Chen before Arakawa. I know Shizuka was incosistent but her performance from 2004 Worlds is one of the best ever IMO. Combination of technical prowess and extraordinary artistry. And all that momentum she'd been building up to the final ina bauer when it just exploded with all the emotions. And her skating skills are on the same level with the greatest. Smooth and efortless flow over the ice. She didn't have the speed of Slutskaya or Kostner but her egdes caressed the ice like the edges of Mao's.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzGdVragbo
    I love what Dick said here that when she lands a jump it's like caressing the ice. However, if we look closely at triple-triples, both triple toes would've gotten < if they used CoP at this competition. Actually many of her triple-triples were underrotated but her triple-triple-triples are jaw-dropping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KWGp1vFwE0

27. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

You think Ando has a personality?? I was beginning to think that the Japanese had actually created a real skating robot until I watched a few of her exhibitions. Still, I thought she would outlast Kostner because she is a much stronger competitor. This is my third vote for Kostner. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Actually, funny as this may sound, Ando really IS quite expressive in her exhibition skates. It was one of my biggest surprises when I saw Caesars last year.

Still, doesn't change how robotic her competitive performances were, and this poll is about competition only, right? That said, I've voted for Kostner since round 2 and hopefully the FOURTH time is the charm. ;)

29. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I was thinking of her emoting off the ice (always in tears for some reason or other....)

Also Butyrskaya. One of my favorite memories of her is stomping out of the K&C in disgust at her marks (in 1997?)

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You know, Arakawa is sort of the definition of "one-hit wonder" in that she can only win if she skates to Turandot. Having Nessum Dorma blasting has to help almost anyone even with projection issues.