Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jun 2, 2012.

Who is the weakest link among these past ladies champions?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2012.
  1. Lu Chen

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Michelle Kwan

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. Tara Lipinski

47 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Maria Butyrskaya

43 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. Irina Slutskaya

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Shizuka Arakawa

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Miki Ando

62 vote(s)
    24.9%
  8. Mao Asada

8 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. Yuna Kim

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Carolina Kostner

61 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Thanks again for voting folks and this time we had another landslide result to find out the next skater leave the figure skating island :lol: is ....

11th place: SARAH HUGHES (53.06% of votes)

The remaining contenders are:

01. Lu Chen - CHN - 1995 World Champion.
    02. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    03. Tara Lipinski - USA - 1997 World and 1998 Olympic Champion.
    04. Maria Butyrskaya - RUS - 1999 World Champion.
    05. Irina Slutskaya - RUS - 2002 and 2005 World Champion.
    06. Shizuka Arakawa - JPN - 2004 World and 2006 Olympic Champion.
    07. Miki Ando - JPN - 2007 and 2011 World Champion.
    08. Mao Asada - JPN - 2008 and 2010 World Champion.
    09. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.
    10. Carolina Kostner - ITA - 2012 World Champion.

Already eliminated:
    12th place - Kimmie Meissner (50.26% votes)

Now it starts to get interesting, so vote and share who deserves to go next .;)

2. SamuraiK

My Vote goes to Tara Lipinski. She was such a flash in the pan and even though she won it all, she was still juniorish when she retired. Maria may be less memorable but I prefer her skating and Ive always had soft spot for Miki :)

3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Voted for lipinski because I like her style the least. I felt like it was pretty immature. Probably because she was young, but still.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Now it's getting interesting, with no single obvious 'winner'.

I voted for Carolina. Not that I dislike her; actually I have enjoyed watching her skate last two years, but she won worlds in the weakest field, where she did not even need a 3lutz. Her closest competitors on this poll are Maria B. and Miki Ando. Maria beat Michelle Kwan to win her world title. Miki beat Yu na Kim for her second world title. I am surprised to see Tara get so many votes.

5. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I think that even though Tara wasn't the most polished skater, she did win pretty much everything she could with an extremely strong field.

6. StutzBearcat

StutzBearcat New Member

Tara may have been in and out pretty quickly but I do admire her for basically introducing the 3Lo-ending combos to the ladies' field. Had any lady done a combination ending in 3Lo before her?

7. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I voted for Shizuka as a "one number" champion ... because she only did well skating to "Turandot", but skating to other pieces of music seems to have triggered some kind of curse or something, as she didn't do well.

8. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

I voted for Kostner. Love her skating and her programs this year were sublime but her championship was against, like, the weakest ladies field in 20 years. Two of her other world medals (silver, bronze in 2011) were quite questionable and even if you don't agree, you've gotta admit she has benefitted somewhat from being the top Euro woman since Slutskaya.

As much as I want Butyrskaya to make the cut, I couldn't vote for the current votes "leader", Lipinski, yet! She should not be in the and company as Meissner or Hughes.

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Voted for Kostner last round- she gets my vote again here.

10. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Midori Ito back in the 80s did 2Lo-3Lo in her SPs pretty often.

11. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I actually think Tara was an extremely polished skater. She had nice posture and her positions were above average. She didn't have the emotional depth of a Michelle Kwan in terms of performance, but I don't think any of the ladies on this list had that, save maybe Lu Chen (JMHO).

I think Ando or Kostner should be the next to go. Ando had consistency but never really showcased an understanding of music or choreography and Kostner didn't have the killer instinct in the big competitions (including her win this year).

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Midori was many years ahead of her time.

13. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Going for Kostner, fast as the dickens but never did anything for me.

To defend other likely candidates

Ando : C'mon, she's the only real diva in the last few years. Skating is .... but I love her bigger than life emotions and that she's not into the stoicism her countrymen are so fond of.

Butyrskaya : Thou shalt not vote for the goddess. That is all.

14. icellist

icellist Member

Tara skates too junior for me. and I never saw much behind her spins and skating skills. Her flutz was pretty bad and underrotated her supposed great -3Lo combos. She has the spunk, but too many bad qualities.

Both Ando have inherent artistry, strong jumping skills, and good skating skills. That's why I would vote Lipinski before Ando and Kostner.

15. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I don't think Lipinski would have as many votes had she not beaten Michelle at the Olympics. If Kwan had never existed, Lipinski would be celebrated as a fine and outstanding skater, and her one or two flaws would be forgotten.

nubka and (deleted member) like this.
  16. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Apart from the flutz, which was very obvious, Tara had very strange technique on her jumps. The double axel in particular was very odd looking and non of her jump element had a wow factor, even her triple-triple. Don't get me wrong, Tara was a teen phenom and a jumping bean, but she was only that. She skated with tremendous joy and speed but very juniorish (a la Kanako).
    That's why I voted for her, the other skaters demonstrated a level of maturity that Tara never developed (at least in her amateur days)

17. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I think her roller background is the reason for that. Some of her jumps were said to be very rollery (by people who can spot that kind of thing - I don't know enough about roller free skating to say, I only follow rollers for figures and solo dance)

18. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think it was mainly her axel and the way that she got basically no height on it compared to the distance she got.

19. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

... What's with the sudden increase in votes for Tara Lipinski... She got like 2 votes on the first two rounds...

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Picking off Kwan's biggest rivals, I see how it is...

In that case Slutskaya better watch her back next round...

classic Survivor style ;) FSU popularity contest, really.

21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I think in a lot of people's minds, there is a substantial gap between Meissner and Hughes on the one side and whoever the tenth-best skater in the original group might be. And, with a short career, questionable jumping technique, and "juniorish" presentation (to quote someone upthread), Lipinski is one of the obvious candidates for tenth place. (I still haven't decided yet, I'm going to watch some videos first.)

Someone remarked in previous threads that Arakawa hadn't gotten any votes as of that point. Rest assured, her turn is coming too. :watch:

22. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I sure wish there were any female skater today who could perform the triple loop/triple loop consistently and skate with such joy and confidence as Tara. In fact, skate consistently like Tara period. People are engaging in revisionist history here it seems. Tara had very good overall technique, good positions and a joyful presentation. But this is just a silly poll..so what does it matter?

23. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

As has been stated before I don't know if you could say that Tara had very good technique, with the mule kick and flutzing, tiny double axel, very whippy salchow, etc. I'm finding it difficult to vote for anyone at this point, but I think it's reasonable that certain people would find Maria (mature, elegant presentation) or Carolina (great artistry and superlative basic skating) more appealing than Tara. I, for one, always thought that Maria deserved second in the short at Nagano over Tara.

24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Not in my mind. Not at all. I have Lipinski in the same category as Arakawa- they both won the World Championship and the Olympics. There are others who couldn't put it together when it counted at the Olys, or had to extend their careers until they were able to finally win.

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

But that's what makes it so interesting. There are so many different criteria one can use. In my mind, there are about six skaters on the list that I could choose this week.

Lipinski had a great competitive record and could rotate her jumps faster than just about anybody else, but what else does she bring to the table here?

26. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I voted for Carolina Kostner, but it wasn't an obvious decision. I like her a lot as a skater, especially with her latest programs, more than, say, Tara. But this is a champions' poll and I don't think Carolina will be remembered as a great champion. A great skater, yes.

27. SamuraiK

Wow, I did vote for Tara but I never really thought she would be leading this round.. Reliefed for Miki so far :)

28. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I voted for Tara. I actually think her performance was so joyful, but her jumps were so thin, and there is no way she is over a mature skater. To have a fluz is worse than decide not to go for it, and we all know Carolina has great Luzes, but after she had to be careful with this jump due to injury, she may need some more time to put it back in her programs

29. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Miki Ando, without any doubt.
    Good skater, but that's it. Nothing amazing. She is just a jumper, and even her jumps have flaws !

30. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Speed, enthusiasm, difficulty, line, skating skills...

If this is truly a "SURVIVOR" type competition then there's no way a ferocious competitor like Lipinski would disappear so soon. Not many of the ladies on this list have a killer instinct like she did.