Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 2

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, May 27, 2012.

?

Which figure skating champion is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2012.
  1. Lu Chen

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Michelle Kwan

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Tara Lipinski

9 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. Maria Butyrskaya

24 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. Sarah Hughes

104 vote(s)
    53.1%
  6. Irina Slutskaya

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Shizuka Arakawa

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Miki Ando

20 vote(s)
    10.2%
  9. Mao Asada

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. Yuna Kim

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. Carolina Kostner

13 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

First, thanks to all the people who voted in the first round;)

Now, with 50.26% (honestly I thought it would be almost unanimous, very surprised here) you've decided who is the first champion lady to get eliminated and it turns out to be .......:

12th place: KIMMIE MEISSNER

The remaining contenders are:

01. Lu Chen - CHN - 1995 World Champion.
    02. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    03. Tara Lipinski - USA - 1997 World and 1998 Olympic Champion.
    04. Maria Butyrskaya - RUS - 1999 World Champion.
    05. Sarah Hughes - USA - 2002 Olympic Champion.
    06. Irina Slutskaya - RUS - 2002 and 2005 World Champion.
    07. Shizuka Arakawa - JPN - 2004 World and 2006 Olympic Champion.
    08. Miki Ando - JPN - 2007 and 2011 World Champion.
    09. Mao Asada - JPN - 2008 and 2010 World Champion.
    10. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.
    11. Carolina Kostner - ITA - 2012 World Champion.

Vote and tell us who do you think needs to be eliminated next..:p

2. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Ok, this time my vote goes to Sarah Hughes.. One of the luckiest skaters ever in figure skating history IMHO. She skated the right program durind the right era and the right moment when others faltered. But hardly a memmorable champion.

3. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I would exclude Sarah Hughes.

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I think the previous voting seems to tell the story all the way 'round. And altho' its that crazy polls time of the off-season (and tho' I voted in first round), this negative kinda slant isn't really fair to most hardworking skaters. Kimmie was the best on the day she won Worlds. Anyone else might have stepped up, but they didn't. Injuries are mainly what shortened her eligible career.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Voted again for Ando, by far the worst 2 time World Champion in history in any skating discipline, and one of the worst 1 time World Champions in history in any skating discipline (despite by some miracle becoming a 2 time). Predictably Sarah Hughes will be voted off though, probably with Ando or Butyrskaya getting axed after that.

6. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I voted for Sarah Hughes in the first round, so I am voting for her again here.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I voted for Butyrskaya. I never could get into her skating.

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

You have to be either a world champion or an Olympic champion to even be eligible for this poll. I doubt this poll is meant in any way to put anyone down.

She was the best on the day she won Worlds yes, but it was a post- Olys Worlds with no previous world champions and no Olympic champions and where her URs were overlooked. She deserved to win yes, but compared to others on the poll who either won with much stronger performances, those who won a few times / medalled a few more times or who displayed a much more successful and sustained career on top, she was comparatively less accomplished.

Still, she is world champion and no one can take that away from her.

9. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Me too!

10. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Almost voted for Hughes then decided Kostner because I like her skating less (and hughes doesn't need my vote here...)

11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Happy that Shizuka has NO VOTES! Even the Kween has one!

12. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Hughes and her doubles

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

A hater, probably !

14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Watch the slow-mo under the current rules is just painful. Jumps are pre-rotated, under-rotated, big Flutz, mule kick, no speed on the landing...OMG !
    Under CoP, she would have been 12th ! :p

15. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I picked Kostner (only this season did she seem to get her act together- I always thought she was WAY overrated), although it's pretty obvious Hughes was never popular around here, so...

ETA: I missed round 1- although looking at the list, I think I would have picked Meissner too.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

To be fair, if Sarah Hughes were competing under CoP, she would not be doing triple loops at the back end of her combinations and she would not be doing a triple (f)lutz (with mule kick) in her combination in the short program. She'd also be working on her elements to boost her GoE and base value.

I'm voting for her this time, even though I still enjoy her Olympic FS.

(((((Sarah Hughes)))))

17. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

I did the same, despite liking that performance and the GP series version of that program.

18. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Sarah Hughes. The only non-world champ left on the list...

19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

In that case she wouldnt be competitive at all. Besides her consistency the ojnly thing that made her stand out was doing triple-triples, hard combinations, multiple triple (f)lutzes and flips, etc...What would carry her without them, her jump quality, her stunnnig artistry, lol!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I liked her layback: :sarah1:

I am just sooooo glad my girl Oksana isn't part of these polls so she isn't crucified as she usually is on these types of threads. :lol:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Vagabond

Who is to say that she wouldn't be competitive today? It's not as if there are gazilions of female skaters with five different triples, both true flips and true lutzes. and triple-triple combinations, all wrapped up with artistry superior to Sarah Hughes'.

22. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I vote for arakawa since no one else had, she also underrotated jumps, was pretty blah for many years and she had major wedgies when skating..

23. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:rofl::rofl:

24. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Make that three. Although I agree with the poster who said that Sarah had a nice layback.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Voted for Butyrskaya on her record even though I preferred her skating to Ando and Hughes. Couldn't quite knock out Hughes yet since she won her Olympics fair and square due to others' failure to do so.

26. bartek

bartek New Member

Her victory wasn't fair and square. Flutzes, severely underrotated triple-triples, mule kicks... If this competition had used CoP, Hughes wouldn't have made it to top 5. Irina would've been first after SP and she would've won the whole thing. Cohen would've been probably second and Kwan thrid.

I remember that some members here used to play a judging game in which old 6.0 competitions were judges under CoP. Such game should be played using Ladies event from 2002 Olympics. The results would be totally different.

I voted for Hughes, obviously. I appreciate her beatiful choreography and artistry as well as beautiful line, posture and flexibility which she showed in her spirals. They were one of the best in the whole field. The same thing with her layback, only Sasha's was superior. Nevertheless, having magnificent spirals and layback are not enough when compared with those skaters. Sarah had too many flaws in her skating.

27. RD

RD Well-Known Member

If Cop were around in 2002, don't you think skaters would have adjusted accordingly? I think that's the point some seem to be missing here...

28. Vagabond

Of course they would have.

I think that if CoP had suddenly been imposed unannounced at the 2002 Winter Olympics, some of Hughes' top rivals would have been treated quite harshly if the judging were fair. Michelle Kwan, for example, did a combination of a two-footed triple toe loop into a double toe loop and an underrotated triple flip (with a fall out) in her Free Skate and didn't keep her free foot up in the "classic" position in her laybacks. She might also have had some trouble with the technical panel and judges on her triple flip in the Short Program and with respect to the edges on her lutzes. I also think she would (or should) have been behind Hughes on PCS in the Free Skate.

Also, as the replay section of the CBC Video of Hughes' FS suggests, Hughes' triple-triples may not have been as severely underrotated in actuality as they are in FSU mythology. ;)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

She did not win the OGM fair and square. She was held up mightily in the SP where she should have placed 5th, thus making it impossible for her to win the OGM, no matter how she skated the LP. Even in the LP, although it was a clean skate with a lot of joy, she underrotated many of her triples, but was not penalized for UR (6.0 rarely did that). Her flutzes were ignored in the SP and LP. It wasn't 'fair and square'.

30. Vagabond

Except that there's no clear consensus as to who, other than the three ladies who actually did, should have placed ahead of Hughes. :shuffle:

You may have a clear idea in your mind of who that one skater is, but the judges didn't. Some judges ranked Hughes fourth, others ranked Suguri, Gusmeroli, Butyrskaya, Fontana, Robinson, SebestyƩn, Malinina, and/or Meier ahead of her.

What's more, the reason why Hughes finished fourth in that segment is that seven out of the nine judges felt that she was fifth or better, not because a majority of them thought she should have been fourth. http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/winter/2002/FSK/womens-singles-short-program.html

Now, if you want to see a couple of skaters who didn't win their gold medals fair and square, point your browser here, and you'll find them. ;)