Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies QUARTER-FINAL (WITH POLL)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 7, 2012.

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jul 12, 2012.
  1. Michelle Kwan

31 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Irina Slutskaya

107 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. Mao Asada

174 vote(s)
    48.6%
  4. Yuna Kim

46 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Umm, the poll didn't work last time. Sorry about that

As we say goodbye to the best chinese skater of all time, we reach the final chapters of this SURVIVOR..

5TH PLACE: LU CHEN (38.61% of votes)

The remaining contenders are:
    (New Links)
    01. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    02. Irina Slutskaya - RUS - 2002 and 2005 World Champion.
    03. Mao Asada - JPN - 2008 and 2010 World Champion.
    04. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.

Already Eliminated:
    06th Place - Shizuka Arakawa (39.06% votes)
    07th Place - Tara Lipinski (37.15% votes)
    08th Place - Carolina Kostner (41.39% votes)
    09th Place - Maria Butyrskaya (32.67% votes)
    10th Place - Miki Ando (24.90% votes)
    11th place - Sarah Hughes (53.06% votes)
    12th place - Kimmie Meissner (50.26% votes)

So, Yunabots, Maobots, Kwanatics and Slutfans... one of your queens won't make the podium this time, YOU DECIDE WHO;)

2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Still no poll...

3. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm having problems with posting a poll... I click the poll boxes and everythign but it doesn't show.. IF and ADMIN is Kind enough to fix it (and delete the other one) I would aprreciate it..

SO SORRY:(:eek:

4. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Hmm a poll in the Olympic forum has not been working too. Maybe there is something wrong.

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

If/when there is a poll, I'll vote for Mao.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

My vote will be for Mao too. Love her and think she is an amazing (and not entirely fulfilled) talent, but cant find a reason to justify keeping her over any of the other 3 left.

7. dariaparadise

dariaparadise Member

Comparing Mao and Irina, I think Mao is better in almost every aspect, no? Lines, skating, flexibility, spins, steps, even many of the jumps... Competitive record is on par

8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Leaning toward voting for Irina this time...

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Jumps- Not really. She outjumped Irina at the 2005/06 GP final as a teenager, but Irina didnt do any triple-triples and she had been doing them frequently in the last 15 months, plus didnt do a clean short, and 2005-2007 was Mao's jumping peak pretty much even with the 2010 triple axels, and began regressing after that. Irina does all the triples and jumps better besides the triple axel, and she mantained her jump consistency for a longer time. Mao at one point was reduced to a bad flutz, flip, loop, and double axels as her only jumps.

Spins- I dont really think so. I havent seen Mao had a performance with better spins than one of these programs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVTmfWPnUxg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVddMvsxLME
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsrxgkMdt8E

Footwork- Definitely not.

Speed, power, command of the ice- Would give Irina all of those over Mao.

Mao definitely has better lines, posture, lightness, elegance, the triple axel, better spirals I would say. Choreography and interpretation flucuates, young Mao's was much better than young Irina's, then Mao went to Tarasova and saw her jumping and overall skating go in overall decline almost immediately, while Irina improved in those areas as she got older, never really great, but doing programs that increasingly suited her well and that she seemed totally at home performing to.

Competitive record is not on par. Irina with 6 World medals. Mao has 3. Irina has 4 Grand Prix final titles and 9 medals at that event. Irina has 2 Olympic medals. Irina has many more grand prix and international event wins. Irina has 7 European titles as well, many more than Mao has Japanese National titles, Four Continents titles, whatever you use as a comparision.

10. miki88

miki88 New Member

Voting for Irina again. Besides her speed, I just can't find anything else appealing about her skating. And I don't agree that her presentation got better as she became older. She just got more confident and divaish. :hat1:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I predict that Irina will be voted out, receiving 20 more votes than Mao Asada.
    If Miss Asada gets 100, Irina will get 120 votes.
    If Miss Asada gets 500, Irina will get 520 votes. ;)

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Between Irina and Mao, I guess I'll vote for Irina.
    I don't like Mao's technique, but her skating is more beautiful to watch.

13. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Artistically Michelle, Yuna and Mao have a slight lead over Irina

Technically Yuna, Mao and Irina have a lead over Michelle

Votes could go either way depending on what criteria you base this poll on. Personally im voting technical ability 70% and Artistically 30%. Therefore it is a close call but i will be voting for michelle ( Please dont hate on my decision )

14. os168

os168 Active Member

What's with the polls? Not able to get rid of anonymous voting or the mysterious 20 bugs?

My votes goes to Mao. Yeah shocking right? :lol:

My criterias are body of work, seniority, competitive environment, quality and consistency, and overall career. It would seem impossible to compare those who have already achieved greatness to those who are still establishing their own legends in the making. (For this reason I'd probably vote Yuna out if she get to compete with Michelle, and may be Irina - or just not vote at all.)

Irina and Michelle has already made their great come back, while Yuna and Mao are still in the process of making theirs. For this reason, I am voting Mao out this round, she is a special type of skater, but her 2 WC wins without winning either a SP or LP hurt her quite a bit.

She maybe a prodigy with great potentials, but this has rarely been realised consider the amount hype around her since the very beginning, and consider she is the only one with the 3A. The biggest hype being this fictional OGM given to her had she eligible for Winter Olympics 2006, except around the same time, she actually lost to Yuna Kim at Juniors WC convincingly (by 24+ points). So if they'd been both been age eligible and competed at the Olympics 2 weeks earlier, it is certainly would not have been an easy 'given' like so many had widely claimed.

I do however really like her Jupiter, one of the great heartfelt exhibition last few seasons from the ladies. Mao is a beautiful skater when she is within her elements and stop looking like she is trying so hard. Now if she can bring that full realization to her competitive programs , covering more range and diversity (Akiko is doing Kill bill this year! Just wow!), along with fully rotated and well landed jumps, we should have a great rematch in the next 2 years along with the Russian/US wonder babes.

15. miki88

miki88 New Member

It wouldn't be 'given' (nothing ever is) or else Arakawa wouldn't have pulled an upset at that Olympics. However, I always believed that 2006 junior Worlds was a competition that Mao didn't particularly care about much. Her season really ended with the 2005 GPF where she got to compete with the seniors. So a lack of motivation probably played a part; this situation is not so different from the Worlds after the Olympics for Yuna.

16. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I'd prefer to vote Irina out first because she is the only skater on this list who clearly doesn't have the complete package. But I think it's Mao's turn. She simply hasn't delivered enough when it counts. In term of competitiveness, she ranks well behind the rest on this list.

17. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I respect everyone's opinion, but I don't think 70% technical and 30% artistic is at all objective.

18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm torn, but I think my vote will have to go to Mao this time. Hard because I love her, but I just don't think she's lived up to her hype.

19. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Probably the Trash Can has already used FSU's poll quota for the month. :lol:

20. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

My vote is for Asada

21. Amy03

Amy03 Member

NO SKATER, and I really mean NO skater, has gotten more hype then yuna kim, and if anyone hasn't live up to the hype it's her, having the judges, and a (flawed) system that totally boosted her scores, and still only delievering a few clean skates in her career (through not having half of the the difficulty or the risky programs that Asada had) That's not living up to the hype!

so if you are voting according to who hasn't lived up to the hype you'r vote should rather go to kim

No one has changed figure skating history more then Mao beeing the women who has showed the most difficult technical content in figure skating history... and people still talk about not living up to her hype, what more do people expect, what more can she do, that she hasn't already done, how many medals and title does she have to collect more for people to recognice what unbelievable achievement she has accomplished...

it's really sad when one uses such baseless argument to vote for Mao!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:eek: What?? NNNNOOOOO!!!! How will we ever decide the championship then! Must.fix.polls! :rofl:

23. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Someone needs to put Amy03 on hara-kiri watch when the polls are fixed and Asada is voted off.

24. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

:rollin:

I will vote for Yuna in this round just for you! :D

25. Amy03

Amy03 Member

hahahahahahahaha:rofl:

I still haven't voted for yuna myself yet, and i would much more appreciate if you would vote for Irena i have been trying to get rid of her for several rounds now!

26. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Amy's come to a rescue for Mao!

27. Amy03

Amy03 Member

any time, any day:swoon:

28. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

My vote this round will be Mao. She has been weak for years and never quite reached expectations.

I don't think Kim was overhyped as much as her technique on jumps was soooo strong. And she had decent spins within COP specifications. Mao had issues on most of her jumps, whether UR, prerotation, wrong edge and her spins were not always fast and centered.

Sorry Mao.

29. bartek

bartek New Member

OMG, her name is Irina, not Irena... And there is no way she should be voted out before Mao. Irina is superior to Mao in many many aspects.

30. Amy03

Amy03 Member

wheter i pronounce her name irene or irena i think everyone knows who i'm talking about, but if that offended you i will try to remember that her name is pronounced "irina". it wasn't my intention to offend anyone, it's just that where i live irina is not a very common name, so it's hard get used too!

you are free to prefer whichever skater you like, I couldn't care any less, but that doesn't change the fact that there is heaven and earth between there skills both technically and artistically!

(but tell me bartek did my little rant about yunas hype get on your nerves is that why you are soo overly sensitive lol)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012