Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies GRAND FINALE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Who is the Ultimate SURVIVOR?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2012.
  1. Michelle Kwan

257 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Yuna Kim

172 vote(s)
    40.1%
  1. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

LONG LIVE THE NORTH AMERICAN KWANATIC KWANBOTS! :lol:

2. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Ay-Men to that!

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Hey, leave my name out of this! :lol:

I do not classify myself as a kwanbot...I am a kwan-uber, thank you kindly.:smokin: As an uber I defend the Kween to the bitter end, however I am not so blinded that I am unable to see where the Kween made mistakes or was lacking...though the Kween made very few mistakes and lacked very little during her time.:rollin:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. os168

os168 Active Member

Yikes! Backward family.

Doesn't sound like you should trust your instinct too much before doing some research. I can vouch she is big in China too, she had her own 1 hour documentary on cctv national network just after the olympics, interviews, tv commentaries on her activities too. During her recent appearance at an ice show in China, she practically overshadowed SZ's farewell appearance due to her high profile rare appearance which the organiser claimed they have worked on for 2 years to get her. This was reported in a number of articles, not my words. This is inspite of having some amazing skaters in the cast like Plushy and Kurt. She also has fan groups in China and Russia as far as i know. How many ladies skaters past and present can truly say that?

I have other non Fs friends from many countries too in asia and europe appear to know her. It helps when with she held probably the highest profiled ogm in recent years and her social philanthropy work for the likes of UNICEF and Olympic bid are frequently mentioned on international press.

5. naan

naan New Member

Yuna is famous among foreign K-pop fans especially in South East Asia, because many K-pop stars said their ideal type is Yuna (You can read many envious comments on twitter :lol:)

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Same here. Try eenie-meenie-mannie-moe! :lol:

7. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. But in a kind of perverse way, the fact that she showed up seemingly disinterested and unprepared and still barely placed second is also a testament to her superlative basic ability.

8. johnny158

johnny158 New Member

Then, how about asking them '' Who is the US national champion in ladies 2012?'' :lol:

It's not the time for You to worry about Yuna's popularity in US.

Tell them who the US champion is , and buy tickets and take them with you to

Skate America this year or US Nationals, Worlds next year.

Yunabots are better than you, I think. They buy tickets.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This is also true. I do have to agree with this. I also have to agree Kwan might well have had a much lesser career had she won in Nagano. While it is possible she still continued to SLC, it is also entirely possibly she would have retired right after Nagano (and if she did her career would be much lesser than Kim's, yes an OGM and 1 World title for both, but every other stat Kwan would be way behind). I have said it before, but not winning in Nagano probably greatly helped Kwan's legacy so even the Kwan fans who thought she should have won in Nagano should be happy she didnt. Even if she did stay until SLC I doubt the drive would have been the same, and she needed every bit of it as evidenced by the performances she needed to win the 2000 and 2001 Worlds, and her longevity, winning 9 U.S titles, etc...still wouldnt have been the same. No way she stays until 2005/2006 with an Olympic Gold, no matter when it is.

10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

This is true, but it also highlights how weak the competition was in general.

11. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

I don't know about either Michelle or Yuna's popularity. My friends ask if Dorothy Hamill is still competing.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Right, but I'm not convinced she would have followed through on that.

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people think Kwan would have went "pro" though. I think her "brand" and endorsement power was based on being a relevant competive skater. I think Kwan knew she would have made more money as an Olympic-eligible skater rather than do shows. Plus, Kwan never seemed to have any desire being a show skater. Otherwise she would've cashed in by now and done Stars on Ice Canada or something. She obviously loved competition and the challenge of matching or breaking records. She had that competitive drive and I truly doubt there was anything in pro skating that would have given her that thrill.

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

ITA.

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Not to mention that there were tons of pro-ams around 1998 as well as COI, and she was earning good prize money and appearance fees without having to turn pro. Lipinski had to turn pro because her body wasn't holding up.

If Kwan had won in 1998, I think she would chase for a second OGM in 2002. That's just who she is.

16. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Plus, it's such a strange argument in skating. Athletes like being athletes for as long as they can. Michael Phelps won how many gold medals? And he's coming back to the Olys to try to win more. Tennis players love the sport and try to get as many majors as they can. Football players, after winning the superbowl, don't just say, okay, I'm cashing in. They go after more. Why is skating any different?

17. TID

TID New Member

WTF, I just voted wrong. +1 for Yu-na and -1 for Michelle please...

18. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

Since this is a just a fluffy poll on a random figure skating message board, somehow I don't think voting errors/irregularities will be corrected...but I could be wrong! :p

19. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I agree. She might have taken some time off for school, however, and might not have won as many World Championships. Either way, Michelle's competitive record, assuming she would have medaled at another Olympics, is the best of the post-figures, triple jump era.

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think it would only matter if it were a close race but Michelle's had +50 lead the whole time so I don't think 4 or 5 votes will matter much...

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Who knows. But... she did consider taking time off after her silver, but said her sister convinced her against it, saying you're either in it 100% or not at all, so :shuffle:

22. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well, to me the proof is in the pudding: pretty much every female OGM, after winning the big one, took the money and ran. Kristi...Tara...Sarah was pressured into continuing but that lasted only one disastrous year and she was done...Shizuka...Witt did stick around but only because East Germany basically forced her to. Skating is a much crueler sport. With skating there is a much smaller window of time to be on top. The daily grind of training is grueling and expensive, and even with all the training ice is slippery. You are subject to the whims of judges and skating order and a host of other arbitrary things.
    With swimming, you have chances at many races. Many swimmers can become OGMs at an Olympics, as there are many races, but there's only one OGM per skating discipline. With tennis, you get four shots per year to win a big one. With skating...one shot every four years.

With football you are only making a year by year commitment. You stay in "one more year" for another title (and a boatload of cash!). (By the way, a lot of SuperBowl players do bolt for inferior teams willing to give them better contracts. That is its own form of taking the money and running.)

It seems that winning one skating OGM seems to be the equivalent of winning ten swimming Olympic medals or three SuperBowls or eight Grand Slams. You belong to a very small, extremely elite club of athletes. It really does seem to be its own special category, for better or for worse.

23. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Yep, because a once in four year award is insane. Do you go with the tried and true who play it safe? Or do you go with the athlete that went all out and did everything? Skating is cruel in this way. I'm glad they are adding a team competition, but I also wish they would award medals to the SP too. If someone is clearly a SP skater and can rack up the points yet lack elements in their LP that won't keep them in the medals, let them at least get a SP medal.

24. t.mann

t.mann New Member

If that happens, flipforsynchro will be glad. :D

25. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Then my poor bby will at least get something after being :wuzrobbed in vancouver and every competition since then

26. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

i don't get the point of arguing the point that Michelle Kwan is only popular in North America. There are no popular Asian or European skaters in the United States. Like...none. Katerina Witt was popular in the 80's but it was not for her skating...

Michelle is a beloved skater in her home country by many skating fans. She is known outside of the skating community as well due to her longevity. She is not popular in Europe. Not sure what that is exactly supposed to prove. The end. :D

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. os168

os168 Active Member

I am surprised Yuna won as many vote as she did actually, less than 20% difference... all things considered! Not bad! :p

Well, the title of the poll is about Survivor, so naturally the one survive the longest wins!! Congrats Michelle! You are best survivor summer 2012!!

% ratio wise, Yuna do have the upper hand though, having never fall of the podium and always managed to win either a SP or LP in every competition she entered during her entire seniors so far...despite some hiccups here and there that all champions inevitably goes through. Ice iz slippery, that'ts life!!

I wonder what Michelle will say about all this... Speech Speech!! :lol:

(& does she get win a voucher or something?! A limited edition FSU pen perhaps? :D)

28. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Michelle placed on the podium in every event she skated in for 9 years in a row. Yuna placed on the podium in every event she skated in for 6 years in a row.

We can play this game all day :lol:

29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The Kween rules over the Queen.

30. shoocreme

shoocreme New Member

i think this really depends on the next season