Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies GRAND FINALE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Who is the Ultimate SURVIVOR?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2012.
  1. Michelle Kwan

257 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Yuna Kim

172 vote(s)
    40.1%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Who cares, Kim has only skated her best about 3 competitions in her career. Kwan has about 30 times. Probably nobody can beat Sandhu or Cohen at their best either.
  2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I would suggest that certain people get some coaching in basic English-language reading comprehension before they participate in the final round of voting in the three other Survivor competitions this summer. It will make things a lot more bearable for all concerned. :saint:
  3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I voted for Kim because her teeth are straight... :shuffle:
  4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^You know, that might be the most asinine reason for voting I've seen throughout this entire Survivor poll...
  5. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I voted for Kwan because she has breasts...:rolleyes: :p
  6. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

:sekret: Recently overheard at East-West Ice Palace :sekret:

Kwan: Hey Yuna, about that FSU poll, you're not losing the gold to me, you're winning the silver!

Kim: What, I'd have a much stronger record if I wasn't coached by your BIL, Peter Kwan-Oppregard!

Kwan: Hey, you can always count on Family.

Kim: That's it, I've DECIDED. I'm calling all my Bots!
  7. os168

os168 Active Member

Oh Yeah? But you clearly left before you got to hear the next lines

------

Kwan: Oh yeah? Kwanbot are mamma bot of them all and we rulez on FSU, for starters we type better English. (mutters: though some clearly can't read as well)

Kim: It is okay Michelle, I am a kwanbot too, don't you know you are my idol!?

* Oh Hugz.... *

---The End---

:p
  8. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I really didn't want either of them to win, so I had had to think of something... :summer:
  9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well, that's as good a reason as any... :rollin:
  10. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Aww, I like this ending! :D
  11. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

:rollin::slinkaway
  12. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I voted for Michelle for a lot of reasons. She is the best all-around skater--tech plus artistry. She has an incredible competitive record, one that is unlikely to be matched any time soon. She has skated more clean long and short programs than any other female skater I can think of. She stayed on top for a remarkably long period of time. While Yu Na is the best jumper, Michelle had it over Yu Na in her body line and positions and, of course, her spirals. And if Michelle had a weak layback position, Yu Na's was even worse. And last, but not least, Michelle had the "it" factor--she was routinely able to get an emotional response from a large segment of the audience with her passion for skating.
  13. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

If Miki Ando could beat Yu Na twice at Worlds, Michelle could have, too. Of course, Yu Na made some mistakes at those competitions, but that was the rule more than the exception for her.
  14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

This was cut off from my computer screen. I had to scroll down to see it after I voted and saw the results to not be as I expected. Michelle Kwan is being voted out? Who else besides me likes to jab at the Kwanatics???

Then I realized the voting has changed from who do we want to expel to who we want to say. So please take off one vote for Kwan and add one vote for Kim. :D
  15. triple

triple New Member

I voted for Yu-Na Kim, even though I know Kwan wins almost every poll here. :rolleyes:
  16. Triple Butz

Looks like you and Jarrett canceled each other out :lol:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3622475&postcount=20
  17. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

18. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:drama:
  19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I voted for Kwan based on portfolio of programs.

Never cared for any of Kim's LPs, and the only sp I can think of right now is her James Bond, so the rest didn't leave much of an impression.
  20. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I truly like both Kwan and Kim and think either lady is a worthy winner, but as I have to choose one of them, I chose Kwan.
  21. shady82

shady82 New Member

Both really great skaters, though I voted for Kwan.

Yu-na produced easily the best Olympic ladies' FP in recent history. That program was phenomenal, technically and artistically. However, obviously, she didn't deliver often enough. Only in 2009 and 2010 did she win major titles and didn't make any major errors that would have prevented her from winning. In the other years, she either messed up the short or free. And while she is artistically a strong skater, her programs don't stack up to Kwan's. Giselle and Arirang in 2011 could've if she skated to her full potential.

I don't get why everyone is bashing Michelle for her lower technical ability. Michelle may not have done difficult combos like Irina or Tara, but her technical ability was nothing to be scoffed off about. Keep in mind that during her time, it wasn't the norm for most skaters to be attempting difficult triple-triples. Looking at her rivals throughout the championships - Chen, Butyrskaya, and Cohen generally didn't land triple-triples against her. Lipinski consistently did a 3r-3r. Slutskaya only landed difficult triple-triples in some of her programs, and often wasn't successful. I wouldn't count Hughes in, because she generally was not a rival. Arakawa landed a triple-triple-double in 2004, but otherwise didn't land the triple-triples all that often in major competition either.

Kwan's 1998 LP at Nationals is so far ahead artistically of everyone else, it more than compensates for her lack of triple-triples.

If Yu-na wins a couple more major titles, than I'd consider having her win such a competition.
  22. jatale

jatale New Member

I wonder how this poll would do internationally? I could be wrong, but while Michelle is clearly a HUGE star in the US she probably is much less so overseas. Who would be the contenders and finalists if a truly international poll was held?
  23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:confused: FSU is a site that is owned by someone living in Wales and while there may be a large number of members from the USA, posters here are from many countries around the world.
  24. Triple Butz

:lol::rofl::lol: you don't know much about fsu do you?
  25. berthesghost

berthesghost New Member

Exactly which seas are you talking about? The only place kwan has skated in the past 6 years is Korea.

I know her detractors love to claim she's a nobody in Europe, but I lived in Europe while she skated and everybody knew who she was. I'll never forget my first European championships. The city was plastered with posters of her and even the program had a huge picture of her on the back cover, as well as big posters in the rink lobby. Euros! Bitch wasn't even skating at the event and her image was everywhere. :lol:
  26. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I think Yuna really pushed the sport technically, and although Michelle did set the bar high for having a full repertoire of triples, Yuna made the 3-3 combo essential and was amazingly consistent with its technique. Yuna also managed to hold everything together and win her OGM decisively without any question.

That being said, I voted Kwan for pure sentimental reasons. :D:p:rollin:
  27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

It's no secret that Yu-Na had a better Olympic experience (performance & results-wise) than Michelle, but Kwan's career accomplishments are undeniable. Five world titles -- including two back-to-back -- and some of the greatest performances in skating history. Her longevity is unmatched in the modern era, and her performances will stand the test of time, IMO.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  28. bartek

bartek New Member

Well, in Eastern Europe where I live, Irina is the most loved female star and Michelle can be considered a nobody here. In Japan, Mao is national darling along with Arakawa and Michelle isn't anywhere near their popularity. And in Korea, of course, the reign belongs to the one and only Queen Yu-Na.
  29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Michelle Kwan delivered when it counted on more occasions than Yu Na Kim.

Yu Na Kim delivered when it counted most, though. Kwan didn't.

Objectively, Kwan's logevity, impact, and success means she should win.

Subjectively, there's not a single Kwan program I would rewatch as much as Roxanne or Danse Macabre or Olympic Gershwin. There's not a narrative that thrills me more than the glorious climax of ladies figure skating of the 2006-2010 quad.

I've been voting subjectively and see no reason to change. I can neither deny nor quibble with Kwan's (eventual) victory here.
  30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

We've been seeing this all the way through these Survivor threads: people assume that when their favorite gets out its because other people are voting based on fandom and nationality rather than such criteria as competitive record, technical skills, presentation, length of career, and so forth.

Of course people's personal tastes inform their votes, but I have to say that the supposition that FSU is all a bunch of American bumpkins mindlessly voting for U.S. skaters is absurd. The Americans here didn't have any trouble voting out Meissner and Hughes in the first two rounds, and neither did anyone else. And one could very reasonably argue that Tara Lipinski should not have been voted out as early as she was, but that didn't stop many Americans here (myself included) from voting her out.

I do wonder if people who think that FSU is some vast AMERIKAN KONSPIRACY have ever actually known any Americans or even know which posters here are from the United States.

As for me, I voted for Kwan for the reasons judgejudy27 articulated so well in both this thread and the last one. If Kim had skated to the best of her abilities, she would be a five-time World Champion and the best skater EVAH. But she didn't, and she isn't, at least not yet. If she wins gold medals at the next three World Championships and the 2014 Olympics, then we can revisit the issue. :2faced:
  31. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Michelle is well known in China and within Chinese communities across the world. There were big crowds and press when she came to Hong Kong. She's also loved in Canada.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  32. Aren

Aren New Member

I voted for Yu-Na Kim!
  33. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

If my opinion is worth anything, I feel that we should let people from outside of North America use this website.

How do others feel?
    FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  34. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

I've been trying my hardest to get my green card in time to vote on these survivor polls. It's been hard while living in Venezuela, but I'm almost there.Thanks for your support, Peter G.
  35. os168

os168 Active Member

OMG! I can't believe you are saying this!!! IMO your opinion is totally worthless!!

Everybody knows North America automatically means the whole world, and that people outside N.America are clearly inferior despite our superiority complex, knowledge overcompensation and exotic accents!

;)
  36. lakewood

lakewood New Member

True, but it is still NA-diminant site.
  37. berthesghost

berthesghost New Member

No way! I like it just as it is: chan vs Evan in the men's poll, belbin&agosto vs shaelyn&victor in dance, david&jamie vs ina&zimmerman for the final two pairs and of course, Kwan vs joannie in the ladies final. If we let foreigners into the www, they'd bring all sorts of weird ethnic skaters who smell funny. Lambiel? Joubert? Fontana? Sounds like a bunch of stinky cheeses to me!
  38. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Saying that Yuna Kim should win based on her higher tech abilities is like saying Shizuka Arakawa is a better skater than Peggy Flemming in that people forget Kwan began her senior year in 1993 and in many ways (with Tara and Irina) set the tech standard for nearly a decade. She was also skating in a vastly different judging system than Kim is and COP rewards risks much more than 6.0 ever did.

Also, from the 1995/1996 season to the 2003/2004 Kwan never failed to place at least 2nd in every competition she entered except for three occasions (1996 Centennial on Ice, 2001 Skate Canada, and the 2002 Olympics). Then in 2004 Worlds placed third after being second in the LP and 4th at Worlds 2005 under COP where she still placed third in the SP and LP with probably the worst LP performance of her Worlds career. I think Kwan's skating and style looked so effortless that many of her detractors are thinking that her accomplishments were also effortless.

As for Kim winning OGM and Kwan not, I'm just going to say it. Whether or not you think Tara should have won, Kwan skated very well and lost the gold due to a 6/3 judges' decision not due to Kwan faltering as she technically landed everything she planned. We've seen gold medalists win with much lesser performances than Kwan in Nagano.

There's a reason why Kwan was THE skater for all those seasons (and inspired a young Kim) an everyone knew that at her height and even afterwards one had to get through Kwan before they can win a major title that was for nearly a decade. Yu-na, meanwhile, only really dominated for two (the same as Irina really) thus far. If we're going by potential then Cohen should've been on this poll too. Too bad it's about what actually happen on the ice.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  39. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

:lol:
    I also voted for Kwan, but I'm not at all convinced she would have won five World titles if she had won OGM in, say, 1998. That OGM has a way of sapping motivation and competitive fires...especially for American female skaters. They tend to :bribe: and then :scream: I just don't see any reason to believe Michelle would have been any different, no matter what she likes to say. That is not meant to take anything away from Kwan's amazing accomplishments, but at the same time I'm inclined to cut YuNa some slack on not getting it done at 2010 and 2011 Worlds. :)
  40. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Kim would have looked better taking time off though. She clearly wasnt prepared or trained for either the 2010 or 2011 Worlds and for a champion of her stature that is inexcusable IMHO. Whether all people agree with or not, she did do some damage to her reputation with her zombie-like efforts at those events. If it was too hard to come off the high of the Olympic Gold, it would have been fine to either retire or take some time off indefinitely. People would have understood. It is fine to not skate your best sometimes, nobody is a machine, but to show up barely practiced at all for such a major event when you are the biggest star is something Michelle and many past legends would never do. Either you want to compete or you dont.