Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies GRAND FINALE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Who is the Ultimate SURVIVOR?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2012.
  1. Michelle Kwan

257 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Yuna Kim

172 vote(s)
    40.1%
  1. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Same
    Except I want Yuna to win

2. Shaia

Shaia New Member

sigh, I was hoping for Yuna v. Mao final, which would have been much more exciting, rather than this "old" v. "new" generation.

As far as Michelle v. Yuna is concerned, this is like Jordan v. Kobe or Jordan v. LeBron argument. On the one side, you have a legend that is almost unanimously cherished and respected, while on the other side, you have an active athlete (albeit phenomenally talented) who tends to attract more polarized response.

Of course, my vote is for Yuna, as I think she has the most complete package - she is not without flaws, but I think she would serve as the base prototype if one were to try to build the most ideal skater today.

Won't argue with "longevity" / "consistency" argument for now, as I am the first to admit that Yuna threw away at least 2 Worlds Gold Medals (2010 & 2011). If Yuna had won the last two worlds as she should have, then we would be in some serious debate (5 worlds v. 1 OGM + 3 worlds).

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

If there is one program Yu-Na would benefit from taking another stab at, it's Lark. I find that I'm much more partial to her SPs (Tango, Danse, Bond) than I am any of her LPs. They are nice but her Lark was far and away the best choreographically and conceptually. She was still pretty rough in those days (very "blocky" I call it) but she's since smoothed out and refined her presentation; I think it would be a treat to see her skate that program with the maturity and elegance she has gained since she first performed it.

Lark Ascending brings to mind Lyra Angelica for me. Maybe it's the title (two words, starting with "L" and "A") or the light blue dresses or the feel of both programs...but for me Lark is to Yu-Na's skating as Lyra is to Michelle's skating...

4. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I'd agree that Kim's LPs are better than SPs. The same goes For Asada who I know was voted off but Noctune No. 2 and Claire De Lune specifically have been far superior programs to anything she did in the long.

5. jatale

jatale New Member

I'm not quite sure what criteria we are supposed to be voting on here. If we're selecting the best ladies "skater" based on their peak technical/artistic capabilities, then Yuna wins. If we are selecting the best ladies "skater" based on their career body of work, then Michelle wins. Based on my hope and belief that Yuna stands a good chance of winning another OGM at Sochi (which would clinch the "career body of work" criteria too) I'm voting for her.

I would also like to note that I don't understand why so many people do not rank Yuna's Gershwin LP as the best ever performed by a woman. The only reason I can come up with is that many people don't like or relate to the music. Now I admit that the excerpts used of Gershwin's Concerto in F for Yuna's LP are not as easily digested as say the main melody of William's gorgeous "The Lark Ascending", but the melding of Gershwin's theme with Yuna's choreography is technically breathtaking and sublimely presented. In my book, that performance is one of best in figure skating history (and technically so far the pinnacle of ladies figure skating).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. os168

os168 Active Member

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

Ack! I voted for Yu Na by accident! -1 for Kim and +1 for Kwan from me also, please.

That is amazing!

I would amend that to say Yu-Na is the more capable skater in almost every aspect of her technique irt toe jumps. Otherwise ITA.

I think further evidence of Michelle's strength as a skater and performer can be found in her exhibitions. She's had multitudes of clean, inspired exhibition performances. I'm so used to seeing skaters (Yu-Na included) making errors in their exhibitions nowadays that it's surprising when they do skate clean.

8. MCC

MCC New Member

Even at her best with lifetime performances, Kwan never be able to beat clean Yuna under any judging system. On the other hand, Yuna never be able to beat Kwan in this poll.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

LOL in all "real" Survivor, the final round changes to select the winner, not the loser. Plus is not like its gonna affect the results here:rolleyes:. Fortunately, most user DO read the threads:lol:

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I voted for Kwan. Might have voted for Kim right after the 2010 Olympics but back then I would have presumed she would continue skating at close to that high level and winning more major titles. Instead she has showed up at the last 2 Worlds in embarassingly bad shape and performed poorly. Plus anyone that allows Miki freaking Ando to win more World titles than them in the same era doesnt deserve to beat the Kween.

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Who cares, Kim has only skated her best about 3 competitions in her career. Kwan has about 30 times. Probably nobody can beat Sandhu or Cohen at their best either.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I would suggest that certain people get some coaching in basic English-language reading comprehension before they participate in the final round of voting in the three other Survivor competitions this summer. It will make things a lot more bearable for all concerned. :saint:

13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I voted for Kim because her teeth are straight... :shuffle:

14. kwanatic

^^You know, that might be the most asinine reason for voting I've seen throughout this entire Survivor poll...

15. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I voted for Kwan because she has breasts...:rolleyes: :p

16. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

:sekret: Recently overheard at East-West Ice Palace :sekret:

Kwan: Hey Yuna, about that FSU poll, you're not losing the gold to me, you're winning the silver!

Kim: What, I'd have a much stronger record if I wasn't coached by your BIL, Peter Kwan-Oppregard!

Kwan: Hey, you can always count on Family.

Kim: That's it, I've DECIDED. I'm calling all my Bots!

17. os168

os168 Active Member

Oh Yeah? But you clearly left before you got to hear the next lines

------

Kwan: Oh yeah? Kwanbot are mamma bot of them all and we rulez on FSU, for starters we type better English. (mutters: though some clearly can't read as well)

Kim: It is okay Michelle, I am a kwanbot too, don't you know you are my idol!?

* Oh Hugz.... *

---The End---

:p

18. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I really didn't want either of them to win, so I had had to think of something... :summer:

19. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well, that's as good a reason as any... :rollin:

20. kwanatic

Aww, I like this ending! :D

21. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

:rollin::slinkaway

22. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I voted for Michelle for a lot of reasons. She is the best all-around skater--tech plus artistry. She has an incredible competitive record, one that is unlikely to be matched any time soon. She has skated more clean long and short programs than any other female skater I can think of. She stayed on top for a remarkably long period of time. While Yu Na is the best jumper, Michelle had it over Yu Na in her body line and positions and, of course, her spirals. And if Michelle had a weak layback position, Yu Na's was even worse. And last, but not least, Michelle had the "it" factor--she was routinely able to get an emotional response from a large segment of the audience with her passion for skating.

23. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

If Miki Ando could beat Yu Na twice at Worlds, Michelle could have, too. Of course, Yu Na made some mistakes at those competitions, but that was the rule more than the exception for her.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

This was cut off from my computer screen. I had to scroll down to see it after I voted and saw the results to not be as I expected. Michelle Kwan is being voted out? Who else besides me likes to jab at the Kwanatics???

Then I realized the voting has changed from who do we want to expel to who we want to say. So please take off one vote for Kwan and add one vote for Kim. :D

25. triple

triple New Member

I voted for Yu-Na Kim, even though I know Kwan wins almost every poll here. :rolleyes:

26. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Looks like you and Jarrett canceled each other out :lol:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3622475&postcount=20

27. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

28. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:drama:

29. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I voted for Kwan based on portfolio of programs.

Never cared for any of Kim's LPs, and the only sp I can think of right now is her James Bond, so the rest didn't leave much of an impression.

30. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I truly like both Kwan and Kim and think either lady is a worthy winner, but as I have to choose one of them, I chose Kwan.