Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies GRAND FINALE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Who is the Ultimate SURVIVOR?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2012.
  1. Michelle Kwan

257 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Yuna Kim

172 vote(s)
    40.1%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

This is the end of the road folks, thank you all for participating, but first we ged rid of our bronze medallist:

3RD PLACE: IRINA SLUTSKAYA (51.00% of votes)

THE FINAL TWO CONTENDERS ARE:

01. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    02. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.

Already Eliminated:
    04th Place - Mao Asada (48.60% votes)
    05th Place - Lu Chen (38.61% votes)
    06th Place - Shizuka Arakawa (39.06% votes)
    07th Place - Tara Lipinski (37.15% votes)
    08th Place - Carolina Kostner (41.39% votes)
    09th Place - Maria Butyrskaya (32.67% votes)
    10th Place - Miki Ando (24.90% votes)
    11th place - Sarah Hughes (53.06% votes)
    12th place - Kimmie Meissner (50.26% votes)

VOTE FOR WHO DO YOU WANT TO WIN!!

2. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

The Queen vs the Kween... They both are all time legends of the sport so I just gonna go with who I think is the better skater..

Yuna for the WIN.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Michelle totally deserves to win this.

4. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Kim.

Michelle may have the five World titles but Kim has Olympic Gold. Plus Michelle is a big bore and I've always personally found her highly overrated. During her era, skating most definately went downhill from the 1988-1992 period.

5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

If this is about skating, Yuna can skate circles around Kwan all day

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Kwan, Kim has the OGM but she blew two different World Championships (compared to her usual standards), and IMO Kwan is far more of a great performer than Kim ever was. Also, Kwan was at the top for so long and Kim only about 2/3 of that time, if that.

7. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Kwan. Kim had EVERYTHING she needed to be equal or better than Kwan, all the technical goods and decent artistry, but blew it quite a few times. And she skated few back to back clean programs when it counted.

8. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Did anyone think it wouldn't come down to these two finalists?

I voted for Kwan, but I could understand voting for either. Kwan has the greater body of work, and her longevity is unmatched. On the other hand, Kim has every type of victory she ever sought out, and her OGM is probably the strongest competition on the biggest stage.

9. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Kween! I love Queen but Kween deserves to win this time.
    After Sochi, I'll vote for Yuna.

10. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

YUNA YUNA YUNA YUNA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuna is the better skater, no matter how many world championships michelle won

11. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

If the Kween doesn't win, I'm calling foul for the change in format from voting who you want off to who you want to win (despite everyone's efforts to make it clear)...

Come on y'all. Kween all the way! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I love Yu-Na and she is definitely the best skater of this IJS era. I love her speed, her big jumps and her attention to detail in terms of artistry and choreography. She's the only skater who has maximized her potential in this post-Torino crop of ladies. I believe she has firmly carved her spot in history for this sport. I adore Yu-Na and her skating very much.

However, there is no one who has come close to matching what Michelle accomplished during her career. Michelle dominated ladies skating in her time, owning the world stage for the better part of 9 years and reigning as the figure skating queen of the United States for nearly a decade. She began at a young age and maintained her competitive position at the top of the sport for the duration of her career. Her competitiveness, focus and mental toughness are almost inhuman. Her longevity and accomplishments are simply unmatched.

Lack of OGM is the one blemish on her record but for Michelle that medal is not the be all/end all for her b/c she accomplished SO much: 9 national titles, 5 world titles (9 consecutive world medals total), two Olympic medals, never missing a podium in nearly a decade...it's unbelievable.

Her lack of difficult 3-3s is seen as a weakness by some but I find it more impressive that she was able to win time and time and time again with nothing more than a 3t-3t against those who had harder combinations...that's a testament to the strength of the rest of her skating as a whole. Skating was more than just the jumps; it was about the whole package and Michelle had the whole package.

Michelle hasn't competed in years yet she is still mentioned as frequently as if she were still competing today. She had a major impact on this sport and inspired a generation of skaters...Michelle is the one who inspired Yu-Na.:)

Michelle Kwan is an icon and a legend in this sport. She's the best. Plain and simple.

13. a56

a56 New Member

Definitely Michelle Kwan - 5 world titles says it all.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

5 World titles in 3 different Olympic quads. And longevity on or near the top for 10 years.

And while the loop was the nemesis for both, Kwan never missed it at Worlds or the Olympics and only left it out altogether in 2005 when she was too injured. Kim left it out altogether half way through 2008 season and won both her big titles without attempting it.

Besides the speed and the big 3/3s, Kwan would not be disadvantaged going head to head with Kim, because Kwan always had the edge on consistency. Drawing in an external comparison, Kwan never lost to Ando at Worlds, but Kim did, twice.

15. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

I don't think that's anywhere near an apt comparison. I think Miki's best programs are her 2003-2004 and 2005-2006 SPs but she was half the skater she became during Yu-Na's quad back then. She never had a performance like her 2007 Worlds LP until...well, her 2006 SA LP, and had she skated like that in 2004 or 2005 she would have definitely have beat out Michelle, if not gone head-to-head with Shizuka or Irina for the title.

I voted for Michelle anyway. I recently re-watched Yu-Na's Lark Ascending and I realized that she has never had another program with that level of seamlessness and musicality again. She developed sensuality and command in the coming years but come on, compared to Lark her Gershwin program had like half of the choreo! And though her Danse Macabre and Bond programs have been memorable, I can't think of a single iconic moment in her long program performances since Lark.

Obviously Michelle had her share of simplistic programs - her choreo and complexity went downhill after Ariadne and basically deserted her after Schez. But her programs just have so much staying power. I still remember her exuberant spread eagle at the end of Rondo, the death drop to the solo piano run in her Rach short, even the semi-spastic footwork at the end of Aranjuez and Tosca...not only did she have incredible longevity in terms competitiveness, but she also skated with heart time and time again.

Yu-Na is certainly the more capable skater in almost every aspect of technique and she brought exactly what she needed to win her titles. But a skater who skated for the love of skating and for the love of performing would not have let the title slip away like the way she did at 2011 Worlds. And I think that's what makes me lean toward Michelle...at least for now.

16. indicatoto101

indicatoto101 New Member

Yuna. Just 'cause I want to see someone else win a poll with Michelle Kwan as an option.

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I actually much prefer the young Ando when she was being coached by Sato. She was energetic and very light on her feet. COP wasn't kind to her.

Love Lark Ascending. Easily my favorite program of hers. Too bad she never quite performed it to its full potential.

That was very nicely put. :)

18. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

19. Harness

Harness New Member

I chose Michelle Kwan, for her body of work. I never wanted my four and a half minutes back following her performance.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

WTF, I just voted wrong. -1 for Yu-na and +1 for Michelle please...

21. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Yeah,that almost happened to me as well , luckily I read it first, but still, the voting format should have stayed the same..

22. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I'm so terribly torn. CANNOT DECIDE!!

23. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I'm confused..... have the rules been changed for the final stage? If I click next to Kim's name is that a vote for or against her?

I predict controversy!

24. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  25. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Yes. For.

26. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Allow me to predict the coming controversy....

OH MY GOD!!!! MICHELLE KWAN DID NOT WIN BY THE HUGE CRUSHING MARGIN SHE SHOULD HAVE!!!!! IT'S SABOTAGE!!!!!!

For what it's worth I almost voted (for Kim) before deciding to check out how the voting was going and was suprised at the numbers and so looked at the first post....

Controversy, controversy, controversy. Let the conspiracy theories begin!

27. brilliant9

brilliant9 Member

Voted for Michelle this time. Sorry, Yuna.

28. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I remember that in one of early rounds SamuraiK or other user said(suggested) the rule change into voting for the stronger skater in the final round. So I was ready. :lol:

29. CoolGuy

CoolGuy New Member

Kwan. Kinda amazing when you consider she went to Worlds 12 times and only had 2 falls in all of her free skates combined.

30. miki88

miki88 New Member

Michelle Kwan! She is simply the best. Period.