Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: ICE DANCE ROUND 7

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 15, 2012.

Who is the weakest link among these past champions

Poll closed Jul 19, 2012.
  1. Grishuk & Platov

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

10 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Anissina & Peizerat

5 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Navka & Kostomarov

119 vote(s)
    43.3%
  5. Denkova & Staviski

74 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. Virtue & Moir

63 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I would have had D&S's 1/ 2, N&K third, B&A 4th, Dom/Shabs 5th, who cares after that.

I already acknowledged in the last round that 2008 Worlds was DelSchoes's most conservative performance ever, which is what makes their win bittersweet. V&M absolutely outskated D&S, and I had no problem with them winning the FD under the rules of this system. Just like under this system, I accept that even a 100% DelSchoes, nor anyone else, were going to beat V&M at the Olympics. I'm looking at the best of each team, particularly if you look at their best compulsories. Don't get me wrong, V&M are exceptional skaters, and more consistent skaters, there is just something that DelSchoes do with the blade that sets them apart for me. Obviously, it's not a widely held opinion.

Plus, weren't Delschoes the first team to get level 4 for their footwork in like 2004/2005 and then the ISU completely changed the level requirements the next season?

I agree that their OD was the best thing they ever did, and the only time ever in their career that I feel you can argue that they were *slightly* under marked. But he was absolutely pulling her through parts of that FD, and especially towards the end where it looks like she holding on for dear life in the circular footwork. Plus she screwed up the ending. The fact that they made their programs *less* difficult after that says something.

She...was? :shuffle:

I do want say in defense of Denkova, her style improved a lot with Linichuk. Compare 2005 and earlier to 2007 worlds OD and FD. :kickass:

2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I can respect that, since you're acknowledging V&M's skating skills. I took your first post as a bit more dismissive of V&M than I think it was intended to be. :) I understand how you can think DelSchoes, at certain times, were better, especially in compulsories.

V&M's CDs were already very good in 2008-10, at such a young age, and I think it's quite incredible considering they started at a time when CDs were less and less important (for example doing only 1 CD per competition whereas teams of the past had to do 2 or 3). I REALLY wish the CDs hadn't been dropped in their time, because by the time they retired, they would have improved even more, and we'll never get to see that. The SD pattern is SO NOT the same, ugh. I look at couples like D&L who had great CDs by the end of their career even though they were by no means great technicians, so I can't imagine how good V&M would've gotten by their age. So at least you got to enjoy that aspect of DelSchoes skating until their retirement. :)

3. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Wow is this ever close. Navka might survive after all.

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I truly can't comprehend how posters can rally to save N&K, but not Plushy. :lol:

6. judgejudy27

I guess people think Navka was the better diva and prettier. :lol:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Save Navka!!!
    And I will make more headband photos if necessary

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Sorry to see this. N&K are one of my least favorite world champions. And I have always loved Denkova & Staviyski, especially their 2003 OD.

It's a sad day.

9. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

N/K almost caused me to give up on ice dance.. :(

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

For me it was the other way round, I took a break from ice-dancing after N&K left competition. lol
    Anyway, since 2006 that I've been following their pro career.

11. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Please, N&K need to go. D&S at 2007 Worlds should beat N&K at any of the World Championships they won.

12. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at this in a day and now Denkova and Staviyski are losing?! Ahh! :(

14. judgejudy27

I wonder if the Navka supporters will try a harsh assault on Virtue & Moir next.

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the first time Navka/Kostomorov got held up at the expense of Denkova/Staviski.

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

17. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Not me!