Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: ICE DANCE ROUND 7

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 15, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link among these past champions

Poll closed Jul 19, 2012.
  1. Grishuk & Platov

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

10 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Anissina & Peizerat

5 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Navka & Kostomarov

119 vote(s)
    43.3%
  5. Denkova & Staviski

74 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. Virtue & Moir

63 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

There were solid "Save Navka" and "Save Merlie" campaigns during the last round but in the end, the mighty headband prevailed..

7TH PLACE: DAVIS AND WHITE (39.29.% of votes)

The remaining contenders are:
    01. Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov - RUS - 1994,1995,1996 & 1997 Worlds and 1994 & 1998 Olympic Champions.
    02. Angelica Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov - RUS - 1998 and 1999 World Champions.
    03. Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat - FRA - 2000 World and 2002 Olympic Champions.
    04. Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov - RUS - 2004 & 2005 World and 2006 Olympic Champions.
    05. Albena Denkova & Maxim Staviski - BUL - 2006 and 2007 World Champions.
    06.Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir - CAN - 2010 & 2012 World and 2010 Olympic Champions.

Already eliminated:
    08th Place: Delobel & Schoenfelder (37.45% votes)
    09th Place: Bourne & Kraatz (41.85% votes)
    10th Place: Lobacheva & Averbukh (46.60% votes)
    11th Place: Domnina & Shabalin (29.65% votes)
    12th Place: Fusar-Poli & Margaglio (48.77% votes)

Only the top half remains, vote and discuss..
  2. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Getting low now. I can foresee the two D & S going next and then V&M. I really hope A&P and K&O go earlier.

This time I'll vote for Anissina & Peizerat.
  3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So now N-K or V-M will go?
    I think all understand G-P will win. So uninteresting voting.
  4. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I've voted for N/K this time as I love Denstas they were so much more interesting and creative ' and should have won the gold in 2004.
  5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I personally think N/K have shown much more of their ability after the retirement from competitive skating which I wouldn't say on the rest of teams remaining.
  6. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

:lol:

It's time for Denkova & Staviski to go. I love them but in my opinion he was a much better skater than her.
  7. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Denkova is by far the weakest skater out of all those left so they really should be gone. And that's even before we get to the fact that they have no olympic medals.
  8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

With 42 votes, N/K have received 42.42% of those cast so far. I think that's a sign.
  9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I don't think that Albena is by far the weakest skater left. After all, there's still Roman.
    But I definitely think that Albena and Maxim should be gone because of their lack of an Olympic medal and the fact that I found them boring for all their pre Linichuk career.
    I do not think that they should have won gold in 2004. No way that their boring OD and unoriginal FD should have beated Navka and Kostomarov's amazing OD and voidy original Pink Panther.
  10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Denkova & Stayviski time to go IMO. If DenSta somehow outlast Virtue & Moir in this game that will be worth a huge laugh.
  11. Macassar88

I personally think that Virtue and Moir should win this whole thing, but it seems like they'll be out before Anissina and Peizerat as well as Krylova and Ovsiannikov
  12. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Navka and Staviski could have been a nice partnership with matching talents. If only he was a bit taller...
    I really like this show number of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVEAepEDWQ

I like all the couples here but I agree with judgejudy27, I don't think it would be fair to let D&S stay sacrificing V&M.
    Meanwhile I guess I have to start another "Save Navka" campaign if the poll turns out to be a duel between N&K and D&S loool
  13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yup. It sucks.
  14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Navka and Kostomarov, again. Yet again, zzz. I <3 Denkova and Staviyski, but I hope they don't outlast Virtue and Moir. That's like Plushenko already getting voted out over on the men's side.
  15. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Take everything I said about DelSchoes, and apply it to DenSta.

They were underrated early in their career, they should have gotten the bronze at 2002 worlds, they had the most difficult OD and FD in 2003 and easily could have won, they could have won 2004, they got totally screwed at the Olympics in 2006 becuase apparently missing a position in a dance spin in the OD is worse than skating like Ruslan Goncharov for three phases. :rolleyes:

V&M obviously have better body types for dance and are a better match physically for CoP elements, but they could only dream of getting the push to the blade and deepness of edges that D&S could. Like DelSchoes, if marked properly, they would have a more impressive record.

Honestly I would consider removing A&P before DenSta.:shuffle:
  16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

In terms of pure enjoyment I'd rank Navka/Kostomorov dead last. I can't think of one FD that I enjoyed other than that incoherent Michael Jackson/George Benson FD. I also think they left the least impact for the sport of Ice Dancing of all the remaining teams and I'm still bitter over 2004 Worlds. People also overstate Navka's divaness with her vapid open mouthed smile (and people bitch about Tanith's "O" face) especially when we have the likes of Grishuk, Anissina, Krylova, and Babs to compare her to. Wow, she wore a headband! So cool! :rolleyes:

With that said, I did thoroughly enjoy their 2004 and 2006 OD even when I thought their FDs were some of the most uninspired ever for a top team. It's like with her lines and them being Russian they were only creatively inspired to a certain point because it was good enough for the powers that be to be considered the best for that quad. It's like the way Bestemianova/Bukin could have done whatever on the ice and they would win anyway except without the voids. From their quad give me any other routine by DenStavs and DelSchoes any day.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  17. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I also just remembered that DenSta had a huge setback when they lost a year when Lang/Tcherneychev ran into them in practice and severed two of Denkova's tendons.

What's gross is that DenSta finished behind L&T next year at 2001 worlds (DelSchoes too) when Tchernychev had to pull Lang through all the difficult bits of their FD and she still screwed up the ending. :rolleyes:
  18. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

ITA. I can see Navka will probably go next but IMO it should be DenStas.
  19. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

L/T were far from being the only team with one weaker partner... :saint:

L/T were not in the same league of any of these teams at their peak, and their results reflected that, but at least Naomi was always very elegant.
  20. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Out of curiosity, would you have both D/S' on the podium in place of B/A and G/G, or just one?
  21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I have to defend Virtue & Moir here. They have better body types for dance in terms of leanness (and why not, since Virtue actually was a ballet dancer), but they are pretty close in height, and much more so than DelSchoes though not DenSta. In fact V&M struggled with CoP lifts the first couple of seasons, and made tremendous improvements there in 2008, and now have some of the best lifts in the world. It's not only amazing to me that they can do the million changes of positions in one lift to get levels a la D&W, but that Virtue manages to have a perfect, fully extended position during every millisecond and even during the transitional points, something that Davis, Delobel, or Denkova could never do (and Navka was often stumbly coming in and out of lifts). And during all those position changes, Scott is always on a deep and secure edge, just like Olivier and Maxim.

I also disagree about the depth and power of V&M's edges. IMO power is a major reason why V&M beat DelSchoes in the FD in 2008 (it certainly wasn't transitions since V&M had none that season ;)). As for cleanness of the edges, just look at all the level 4 footworks V&M have collected.

V&M managed top 6 in their first senior Worlds. N&K did not achieve this until their 4th Worlds (Navka's 9th), DenSta until their 5th (Denkova's 9th).

In contrast, teams like A&P did it on their second try, K&O on their first (Krylova also won bronze in a first attempt with Fedorov), and G&P on their first (Platov's second). IMO these teams and Virtue/Moir are more naturally talented.
  22. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I would like to add to Cherub's line of thought, if I may? Tessa was 17 and Scott 19 when they came 6th, 18 and 20 when they took silver (1st in FD), 19 and 21 when they won bronze after she had double leg surgery, 20 and 22 when they won OGM and World's, 21 and 23 when they took silver after only one competition and another double leg surgery for Tess, and 22and 24 when they won 2nd World's, with the possibility for even more. K & O won 2 WCH DenStav 2 WCh. How can they possibly be weaker than any of the other skaters in this group?
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. shady82

shady82 New Member

I loved L/T though. While I disagree with Susie Wynne calling them "an unheralded team" that should be in the top 5-6, L/T were certainly not overmarked. Their 2001 OD and FD were both superb.

One of my favorite parts of the 2000-2002 phase was the middle-ranked teams. Lang/Tchernyshev, Denkova/Staviski, Dubreuil/Lauzon, and Delobel/Schoenfelder all produced innovative, memorable programs. Although they weren't able to challenge the top 5 at the time, their programs for me were as memorable as those of the top 5 (A/P, F-P/M, L/A, B/K, and D/V).
  24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

ITA. That was such a great time for ice dancing. Everyone in the top 15 or so was good. I would include Winkler & Lohse, Drobiazko & Vanagas, and Chait & Sakhnovsky there. Also, although they went on to medal in 2006, Grushina & Goncharov and Navka & Kostomarov had more interesting FDs during this period.

Today we're lucky to have 1-2 interesting teams in the whole event. :(
  25. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Word...
  26. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

My feelings exactly.
  27. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

This^....(Out of reps for ya)

Loved L and T's OD from 01 Worlds..It's a dance that I watch over and over again.
  28. shady82

shady82 New Member

F/S in 2003, and G/P and the Kerrs in 2004 were amazing too. I often feel like the middle-ranked teams produce the best interesting programs, but their programs become tamer and more judge-friendly as they reach medal contention.
  29. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with this about the programs. Somewhat of an exception: Pechalat/Bourzat, although Organ Donor is more voidy than their more recent programs too.

Just for the record, I haaaaated Lang and Tschernyshev and will never voluntarily watch another program of theirs. Zzzz.
  30. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Maybe I miss the post about V/M being less worthy (which is absolutely ridiculous).They are extremely talented and your contra argument was great :respec:. About the lifts :at the time N/K, both D/S (Ah,those were the times)and most of the top teams were trying to be innovative the same way K/O,G/P,A/P,L/A did earlier and V/M, D/W ,P/B ,K/N and etc. did later and some of them still keep trying to make something different. it is just that nowadays the lifts are more acrobatic. Yet ,as we can see in the professional shows all those of the &#8220;old guard&#8221; are also capable of doing those lifts and it&#8217;s not like the male partners need extra help neither the girls are clinging for dear life on their headbands or whatever. All of them are as athletic and skilful as ever.:)))
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  31. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I would have had D&S's 1/ 2, N&K third, B&A 4th, Dom/Shabs 5th, who cares after that.

I already acknowledged in the last round that 2008 Worlds was DelSchoes's most conservative performance ever, which is what makes their win bittersweet. V&M absolutely outskated D&S, and I had no problem with them winning the FD under the rules of this system. Just like under this system, I accept that even a 100% DelSchoes, nor anyone else, were going to beat V&M at the Olympics. I'm looking at the best of each team, particularly if you look at their best compulsories. Don't get me wrong, V&M are exceptional skaters, and more consistent skaters, there is just something that DelSchoes do with the blade that sets them apart for me. Obviously, it's not a widely held opinion.

Plus, weren't Delschoes the first team to get level 4 for their footwork in like 2004/2005 and then the ISU completely changed the level requirements the next season?

I agree that their OD was the best thing they ever did, and the only time ever in their career that I feel you can argue that they were *slightly* under marked. But he was absolutely pulling her through parts of that FD, and especially towards the end where it looks like she holding on for dear life in the circular footwork. Plus she screwed up the ending. The fact that they made their programs *less* difficult after that says something.

She...was? :shuffle:

I do want say in defense of Denkova, her style improved a lot with Linichuk. Compare 2005 and earlier to 2007 worlds OD and FD. :kickass:
  32. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I can respect that, since you're acknowledging V&M's skating skills. I took your first post as a bit more dismissive of V&M than I think it was intended to be. :) I understand how you can think DelSchoes, at certain times, were better, especially in compulsories.

V&M's CDs were already very good in 2008-10, at such a young age, and I think it's quite incredible considering they started at a time when CDs were less and less important (for example doing only 1 CD per competition whereas teams of the past had to do 2 or 3). I REALLY wish the CDs hadn't been dropped in their time, because by the time they retired, they would have improved even more, and we'll never get to see that. The SD pattern is SO NOT the same, ugh. I look at couples like D&L who had great CDs by the end of their career even though they were by no means great technicians, so I can't imagine how good V&M would've gotten by their age. So at least you got to enjoy that aspect of DelSchoes skating until their retirement. :)
  33. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

34. judgejudy27

Wow is this ever close. Navka might survive after all.
  35. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I truly can't comprehend how posters can rally to save N&K, but not Plushy. :lol:
  36. judgejudy27

I guess people think Navka was the better diva and prettier. :lol:
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Macassar88

Save Navka!!!
    And I will make more headband photos if necessary
  38. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Sorry to see this. N&K are one of my least favorite world champions. And I have always loved Denkova & Staviyski, especially their 2003 OD.

It's a sad day.
  39. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

N/K almost caused me to give up on ice dance.. :(
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  40. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

For me it was the other way round, I took a break from ice-dancing after N&K left competition. lol
    Anyway, since 2006 that I've been following their pro career.