Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: ICE DANCE ROUND 6

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 10, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link among these past champions

Poll closed Jul 15, 2012.
  1. Grishuk & Platov

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Anissina & Peizerat

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Navka & Kostomarov

124 vote(s)
    39.4%
  5. Denkova & Staviski

39 vote(s)
    12.4%
  6. Virtue & Moir

25 vote(s)
    7.9%
  7. Davis & White

111 vote(s)
    35.2%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Voidy frenchies say bye bye to the game..

8TH PLACE: DELOBEL AND SCHOENFELDER (37.45% of votes)

The Remaining contenders are:
    01. Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov - RUS - 1994,1995,1996 & 1997 Worlds and 1994 & 1998 Olympic Champions.
    02. Angelica Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov - RUS - 1998 and 1999 World Champions.
    03. Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat - FRA - 2000 World and 2002 Olympic Champions.
    04. Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov - RUS - 2004 & 2005 World and 2006 Olympic Champions.
    05. Albena Denkova & Maxim Staviski - BUL - 2006 and 2007 World Champions.
    06.Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir - CAN - 2010 & 2012 World and 2010 Olympic Champions.
    07. Meryl Davis & Charlie White - USA - 2011 World Champions.

Already Eliminated:
    09th Place: Bourne & Kraatz (41.85% votes)
    10th Place: Lobacheva & Averbukh (46.60% votes)
    11th Place: Domnina & Shabalin (29.65% votes)
    12th Place: Fusar-Poli & Margaglio (48.77% votes)

2. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Davis & White for me this time..

I looved them until 2009/10. They have been the ultimate definition of vanilla after that. Plush they have a weaker record than all the other teams with the exception of Denkova & Staviski but they pale against the bulgarians when it comes to great programs or performances.

3. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Yep I'm choosing Davis & White too. Also small aside which I know won't happen but can we get rid of Anissina & Peizeret before Virtue & Moir and maybe even Denkova & Staviski and Navka & Kostomorov.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I had a hard time choosing between Davis & White, Navka & Kostomarov, and Denkova & Stayviski. Ultimately I went with Davis & White. N&K were a dominant team for 3 years which must count for something, and even if some debate their wins, none was a major controversy. D&S are just real quality technicians and artists who many consider the best team of the mid 2000s despite N&K's greater medal haul.

So Davis & White it is, worthy rivals to Virtue & Moir, but mostly destined to still be second fiddle to them probably, artistically not all that inspiring to date even though they have improved, and also arguably a team who benefits from inflated scores. They deserve their medals for the most part, including some impressive victories over even V&M, and a very impressive 3 GPF wins in a row, but I still enjoy watching even a team like Weaver & Poje more than them often.

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Davis and White.

6. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Davis and White for me too.

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Davis and White, whom I have always found to be overrated. Also, they have less range as performers than the remaining teams (and some of the eliminated ones).

I don't even like N/K, but they should certainly outlast D/W.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

That's exactly my opinion ! :)

9. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

My vote goes to Davis & White.
    I like their speed and athleticism. They really shine in elements such as twizzles, spins and lifts. That's the great thing about them.
    But sometimes I can't help but thinking that their programs look like a mere collage of required elements more than anything. In what concerns their overall image, I feel that they are a bit stereotyped as this sort of Disney characters. Charlie is like a prince from a fairytale and Meryl is a little princess. This could make them look great together. Nevertheless, there are occasions is which they seem disconnected. Like if there is no chemistry between them. It's like two persons who actually happen to be on the ice at the same time but aren't really together. In my opinion that affects the overall impact of their skating. I would also like them to try something a bit different instead of giving this vybe that they're doing the same FD all the time no matter what the music or the theme is. That's probably not their fault. Maybe they could develop more artistically if they had a different choreographer. I loved their OD in 2010 and I wish they could show more programs that stand out just like that one did.
    In my eyes, Navka & Kostomarov and Denkova & Staviski both had their kind of "thinking outside of the box" moments like Pink Panther and Bach to Africa. Some people didn't like it, others adored it, but very few were indifferent to it.
    In terms of results, one cannot ignore that Davis & White are still competing and that they can improve their record. Still, they got their world title in a season when Virtue & Moir were away for most of the time due to injury and the others were to far behind and with mistakes (like Pechalat & Bourzat). The Shibutanis weren't really a threat for them. But, despite being a huge fan of Virtue & Moir, I think Davis & White were very unlucky not to win gold at the 2010 worlds.

10. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Davis and White for me. I find them quite overrated. I thought that their tango program was their best in terms of intricate holds and transitions, but other than that, it's mainly just open skating. I appreciate their speed but they sacrifice unison and cleanliness for it. I think that Meryl is a good performer, but Charlie bores me. He doesn't emote well and he often looks like he's concentrating on technique rather than performing and communicatin with Meryl and the audience.
    As for Denkova and Staviski, I found them kind of boring until they went to Linichuk. I feel that she really brought their skating to a new level technically and found much nicer lifts for them. I loved their uber dramatic free dances in 2006 and 2007.
    I hope that Navka and Kostomarov don't get eliminated because I loved them and I thought that Navka was especially amazing. There was an aura about her that always made me smile when watching them. I would definitely consider her one of my favorite female ice dancers of all time. I know that Roman wasn't the best male ice dancer, but he presented her really well. And they did dominate with solid programs for the better part of three seasons including the 2006 season where they deservingly won the Olympics.

11. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Tatiana Navka dragging a dustmop known as Kostamarov around on ice for years worthy of still being in this poll? Posh, be gone!

12. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

LOL! I'm with ya!

13. judgejudy27

Davis & White were never a dominant team like Navka & Kostomarov. All the others on the poll except for Davis & White were the dominant team for a period.

14. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Kostomarov was far from being a bad partner for Navka. Actually, I think he was perfect for her. They were physically very well matched, looked really hot together, he framed her very well without just staying in the shadow. Someone like Navka can easily overshadow anyone else but Kostomarov was there with her side by side.
    Kostomarov is a tall guy with a bodytype that could indicate that he can't dance or move properly to the music but it doesn't seem to be a problem for him. I love him in these exhibitions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Z8gqh39otSQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=xvglcG42g0M

15. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

:rofl: I can't believe i am defending Kostomarov but the poor guy just didn't stand a chance next to Tania's "Look at me attitude" :rolleyes:

I like those EX too but then their Tarzan and Jane version of "Missing" comes to my mind and ....:yikes:

16. missysays

missysays New Member

I think this is a difficult judgement to make right now since Davis & White are still in the middle of their competitive careers while Navka & Kostomarov have already retired and you can see the full run of their competitive track record.

One argument I would make is that I think that Davis & White may have a larger impact on the sport in general than Navka & Kostomarov. N/K didn't really influence their fellow competitors in the long run on the technical or artistic sides. N/K were very polished and aggressive competitors. Whereas, I feel that on the technical side that D/W have really pushed their competitors and influenced a new generation of skaters that have come up after them. I see many of the competitors pushing the technical difficulty and trying to keep up with the technical pace that D/W have set. D/W still have some work to do in terms of upping the ante on the artistic side of their skating but as technicians and athletes they're at a very high level.

Don't get me wrong I don't think D/W are gamechangers in the way that Torvill and Dean were or as well rounded and legendary as G/P, A/P, and K/P but I think they have had an impact on the sport that will be felt longer than N/K's impact on the sport.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

O, so close fight between N-K and D-W....

18. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Denkova & Staviyski.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Add me here!

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

In D&W's favor, they were the first to get all level 4s and they did it their first year senior. I have a feeling dance was becoming more technical, though, with or without D&W, once the old timers like Navka and Grushina retired. But they were the first so they get credit.

I do give N&K some credit for having to adapt to a completely new system, especially since Navka had been competing in senior ice dance since 1991! They also had better CDs than D&W, though with the CDs being dropped, we'll never know how much D&W would have improved. Navka was also the only ice dancer to win the Olympic gold (or any medal, afaik) after having a child, if that counts for anything. I must say though, their contemporaries, like DenSta, did a much better job adapting to the new system (probably because they were pushing the level technically under 6.0).

I think I actually like D&W's best dances (Die Fledermaus and S&D) more than N&K's, but I generally liked N&K more, and they had a better career and the polish that I value, so I voted off D&W.

Actually I would've had N&K out before L&A and maybe even FP&M, so I'm surprised they're still here, and I thought D&W would win this poll since they are the most popular current couple.

21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I thought it was V-M, who get all levels for at 2007 WCh. But i was wrong :D
    D-W get all levels 4 at 2007 WCh, right?
    I think N-K had sp many votes againsy them only becasue D-W are americans.

22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Re: last sentence. I couldn't stand N/K long before I had ever heard of D/W and I am no D/W uber.

23. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Davis/White too. Probably it will look different in two years (or probably not). But if I sum up their accomplishments, abilities, programs and range now, they seem a bit weaker than Navka/Kostomarov and and also Denkova/Staviski, Virtue/Moir. With others yet (like G/P, A/P and K/O), the difference is even more prominent.

24. Proustable

Proustable New Member

D/W were the first team to get all levell fours for their FD. They did so at NHK 2006.

V/M were the first team to get all the level fours in both the OD and FD. They did so at Worlds 2007.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

26. shady82

shady82 New Member

I'm really surprised N&K are now ahead of the polls, though I'm hardly a fan with them.

I don't think D&W are at the level with the other teams here yet, although they certainly have the potential to improve in the next two years. I hope that D&W and V&M will really both push themselves in the coming two years, so we have a great rivalry ala G&P and K&O. These two teams are certainly talented enough for it.

27. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Bleh can we get rid of Anissina & Peizeret before Virtue & Moir please. Their skating was gimmicky.

28. judgejudy27

I think Virtue & Moir should outstay Annisina & Peizerat who they were technically stronger then, but based on the voting so far I think V&M will be fighting hard to outlast Denkova & Stayviski.

29. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I guess that for this round I'll have to commit to "Save Navka and Kostomarov" campaign. :D

This is one of my all time fav ODs. Awesome program with lots of style and sophistication. (And I love how they skate like a man and a woman rather then a couple of kids).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTu6UA3bKto&feature=relmfu

Pink Panther is unforgettable. Great flow over the ice and good balance between technique and artistic impression. Sexy + cool + bits of humour = winner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRztWapOdBs&feature=relmfu

Super OD at the 05 Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsoZxXcHMDI&feature=plcp

Their OD from 99 Worlds was just stunning. Unfortunately I couldn't find a video on youtube. Hope others can remember it as well. It was skated to a Brian Adams song.

Another performance of them that I love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RtKTON8G1Y&feature=related

Hell, this piece of practice is ten times more interesting than most of the skating we're getting nowdays. :p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iis4PWYev_s&feature=related

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Save Navka! :scream: