Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ice Dance ROUND 4

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jun 29, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link among these past champions?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2012.
  1. Grishuk & Platov

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Anissina & Peizerat

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Bourne & Kraatz

95 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Navka & Kostomarov

28 vote(s)
    13.4%
  6. Denkova & Staviski

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. Delobel & Schoenfelder

28 vote(s)
    13.4%
  8. Virtue & Moir

17 vote(s)
    8.1%
  9. Davis & White

16 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Another ice team bites the dust.. this time the only top russian team with less politikal power than your tipical OES team:D

10TH PLACE: LOBACHEVA & AVERBUKH (46.60%)

The remaining contenders are (changing Links):

01. Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov - RUS - 1994,1995,1996 & 1997 Worlds and 1994 & 1998 Olympic Champions.
    02. Angelica Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov - RUS - 1998 and 1999 World Champions.
    03. Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat - FRA - 2000 World and 2002 Olympic Champions.
    04. Shae-Lynn Bourne & Viktor Kraatz - CAN - 2003 World Champions.
    05. Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov - RUS - 2004 & 2005 World and 2006 Olympic Champions.
    06. Albena Denkova & Maxim Staviski - BUL - 2006 and 2007 World Champions.
    07. Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder - FRA - 2008 World Champions.
    08.Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir - CAN - 2010 & 2012 World and 2010 Olympic Champions.
    09. Meryl Davis & Charlie White - USA - 2011 World Champions.

Already Eliminated:
    11th Place: Domnina & Shabalin (29.65% votes)
    12th Place: Fusar-Poli & Margaglio (48.77% votes)

Vote and enjoy;)

2. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Can we get rid of Bourne & Kraatz now, please?? Hydroblading is cool but hardly an outstanding legacy to the sport.

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Delobel and Schoenfelder, again, for the same reasons as last time. Sorry, not voting for B&K, they're one of my favourites.

miffy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Ewww how are Bourne and Crap I mean Kraatz still here?

5. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

DelSchoes for me - I know this is an unpopular view on FSU but I always felt they were a bit overrated. Good dancers, good creativity, not an all time great IMO.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I will vote DelSchoes next round for sure, assuming B&K finally get their overdue axe.

7. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I know that I am in the minority, but I loved B and K..

I voted N and K..I couldn't watch him.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

This is a conspiracy against all of Canada. Why do you Americans hate the better country of Canada ;)

9. shady82

shady82 New Member

I didn't like N/K very much and always had a difficult time understanding why they were at the top so consistently. I'll try to analyze what they accomplished so I know where they should place in this group>

The 2004 gold should have gone to D/S. I didn't think either of N/K's programs were gold-worthy. A lot of the programs from 3rd and down seemed comparable. I was never able to see why N/K was superior at that competition, or that year.

I don't have a problem with N/K winning in 2005 and 2006. However, there were good arguments for other teams winning those years as well. N/K had the political advantage, so they could pull ahead off other teams who gave performances of similar levels.

The other team that probably should be eliminated is B/K. I personally preferred A/P's FD in 1998 to Riverdance. The other placements B/K received were generally appropriate, including the 4th at the 2001 Worlds and 2002 Olympics. They deserved gold in 2003 and I liked Adagio much more than anything N&K produced though. But I think B/K should go. N/K were definitely a medal-deserving team in 2005 and 2006, though the field in 2006 was extremely weak.

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I agree with the first sentence but will go even further and say I don't think they were good dancers or particularly creative. :shuffle: I voted for Delschoes; IMO B&K should have left in earlier rounds and I'm not wasting votes on them anymore.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

DelSchoes, goodbye.

12. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

13. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I voted for Bourne & Kraatz again pretty much for the same reasons.

They were a team that pulled out some entertaining moments but technically they weren't really outstanding.
    Bourne's posture sometimes looked awful and I didn't really liked most of their compulsories.
    After they started working with Tarasova and Morozov everything about their expression just looked weird and somehow disconnected. She was so much more agressive and extroverted than him that sometimes I even felt sorry for the guy cause he just looked like he didn't wanted to be there.

In terms of performances in big championships. I think they got much more than they deserved which is ironic cause they were a team famous for complaining about judging decisions.
    During the Champions Series Final in 1996/1997 season, that they won, I was totally puzzled with the result considering that Krylova & Ovsyannikov skated so well.
    In the 1999 World Championships, their OD was really slow when compared with the other top couples in the competition. In the FD they had an obvious mistake in a lift right before the end and the judges chose to ignore it... Despite the mistake they got the bronze.
    In the 2001 Worlds, their FD to "March with Me" was totally OTT in a bad way. The over dramatic style simply didn't suit them. Everything about their expression there seemed fake.
    Don't even get me started about the FD at SLC... I'm still wondering how they (together with Poli & Margaglio) could finish ahead of Drobiazko & Vanagas. :confused:
    Still, I think they got their world title fairly with a really decent skate. (Eventhough it was one of those moments in which I was nervous for Viktor cause Shae-Lynn was looking super agressive lol).
    In their favor, I think that the OD from 2001 and the Riverdance program were entertaining and nice to watch.

14. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

15. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

No it shouldn't and thankfully didn't. Navka/Kostomarov had an amazing OD that season (the straightline steps to "Ain't No Sunshine" :swoon: ) and the Pink Panther/Austin Powers FD was quit daring when you consider that most teams trying to win their first World title go with dramatic FDs. It was a real risk that deservedly paid off.

Denkova/Staviski should definitely go before Navka/Kostomarov as they have the same amount of World titles, but no Olympic medal. Plus Albena never sorted out her wedgie. :p

:rofl:

16. Macassar88

Agree with all this. Although I feel like when it comes to drama, Denkova and Staviski can't be beat by many.

17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

N&K's OD was the best, but it doesn't matter so much because it was 6.0 so there was no opportunity to build a lead, unless you think D&S should not have been top 2. Both pairs had excellent blues and ok jives, but Navka's blues was just drool-worthy... that straightline. :swoon:

IMO, N&K and D&S should have been 1-2 in that order in the CD/OD, so under 6.0 it would be whoever had the better FD. IMO that would be D&S because there was so much hidden difficulty in that program. The lifts were very innovative, they did sbs mirror twizzles which seemed :eek: at the time, and they were on fire skating all out at Worlds. N&K's Pink Panther really had a lot of posing and vamping (I always say they were voguing out there a la Madonna :lol:) and the lifts were similar to their ones from the previous year... just not enough to take the world title.

The only thing N&K had above them was the lines.... I remember Tinami posting that Albena looked like a side of beef in those lifts, which honestly is kind of true. :rofl: I think that was a legitimate critique, because a lot of people at the time said "oh D&S are just short and don't have the long legs of Navka to be able to create those lines" but in fact Albena improved tremendously in that area under Linichuk. N&K were far more polished but I don't think that alone was enough to give them the gold.

(FTR, I think N&K should've beaten D&S for bronze in 2003 and that they deserved their golds in 2005 and 2006).

18. Macassar88

I think that the FD could have gone either way because the two FD's were so different and good in different ways. But I preferred Navka and Kostomarov's because it was different. And I love Tatiana more than I love Albena. (Although Albena is one of my favorite female ice dancers too)

19. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Sorry have to vote B/K again.That terrible March with me FD full of twizzles and the horrible screechy music.

I'm loving these Dance threads .

20. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

:) Oy,double Oy. For the last few days with all pork, beef, chicken legs and etc. association I felt like I am in meat market. Obviously when watching pairs or ice dance teams the girls get most of the attention but what about the boys or (translated in carnivore’s language) what are they chopped liver.
    :yikes:

Mmmmm NOPE they shouldn't have.

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

:rofl:

But I would give D&S the World title in 2004 and an Oly silver in 2006! :p I would actually consider them for a bronze in SLC as well. D&V and C&S was always the big :blah: but I thought DenSta were better than both. :shuffle: I actually think DenSta had the 3rd best OD, over FP&M and B&K, even though they skated clean in that phase, and definitely D&S were better in the FD when both couples fell.

22. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

^Those Championships and victories are in the past .It doesn’t matter how long we’ll discuss them. We won’t change that certain team won and other didn’t but the fact that we still talk about those Championships means they were memorable and that counts more than anything else.

You are right about N/K.They were good but where they extraordinary? Not on my book but this is JMHO. What trade mark they left in the world of ice dance (besides Tania’s headband and divaness) ? “The Pink Panther”? “Tosca”? Overused and abused “Carmen”?” Bolero”? “The feeling begins”? The last three were done better by other teams and I wouldn’t even dare to compare their quality with extraordinariness of T/D, B/B , K/O or G/P.I wasn’t crazy about “Tosca” either and even though I like it at the time I preferred B/A version. Even the teams that are gone had programs that were more original and will be remembered. Same goes with the panther .It was refreshing at the time but S/S version was more roaring and original and the fact that we are still talking about the pinky cat is because we compare it to D/S “Haendel”.

:lol:Maybe I should stay away because I like all those teams and the game but I take it way too seriously and feel guilty to press the button .

23. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That's how I feel about N/K.. their programs were rather cliche and unoriginal, relying on old staples (in music), kind of recreating what another team had already made famous.

24. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

HI-larious!!!! I forgot how awkward that fall on the ending lift was. It was off from the beginning.

Absolutely voting B/K until they are in Survivor heaven.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think this game must be over, because the winner will be G-P :D
    I feel sad for B-K. They were great skaters and yes, hydroblanding was something new. I think Kraatz were better skater, then Kostomarov. And due were better, then D-S. And without B-K B-A never won silver at OG and we will not see now so many North American ice dance teams on the podium at WCh.

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Between Navka&Kostomarov and Bourne&Kraatz and Davis&White !

27. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

omg, I never noticed how Shae tapped Victor on the shoulder to get him to take his bows. That video is amazingly :EVILLE

And we shouldn't even be discussing ageless Navka at this point. Pink Panther/Austin Powers is one of my all time favorite FDs! :rofl: She was/is so fecking hot and slinked around like she knew it!

28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree Viktor was a better skater than Roman. However Tatiana was a better dancer than Shae Lynn as well. I found the chemistry of Tatiana and Roman worked spledidly on the ice. Shae & Lynn and Viktor had good chemistry too and worked well together, but they had unision issues, and there was never any heat between them on the ice so to speak which you felt with Tatiana & Roman somewhat despite that they were in no way romantic off ice.

29. missysays

missysays New Member

I loved Bourne and Kraatz when they debuted in the early 1990s. I thought they were a literal breath of fresh air in the ice dance world bringing a freshness and enthusiasm as well as a sensitivity to ice dance that I'd never seen before. They also had this really nice sense of unison and ability to tune into one another in the early years. However, I can pinpoint the exact season that they lost that sense of unity- sometime in the 95-96 season. I have no idea why it started but Shae-Lynn started to literally pull and angle her body away from Victor at times when they skated and in general they lost that tuning into each other quality. I felt like all programs they did after that they were literally straining to make an impact and it lost the naturalness of the presentation style that was their strength when they first started. In some ways that fall at the end of their Michael Jackson almost seems inevitable with Shae-Lynn launching herself with too much force in his arms.

Looking at Navka and Kostamarov, they were never a favorite of mine but there is a unity in their sharpness and strength. Navka was no clinging vine but she never pulled herself out of alignment with Roman thus preserving their appearance as a unit as they moved around the ice.

30. Subway

Subway New Member

I can't ever get past Shae Lynn's mugging, eye-popping and chin thrusting. Tanith Belbin says Shae Lynn is her role model. I can see Shae Lynn in what Tanith does, but Tanith appears more genuine on ice. Maybe because Tanith Belbin seems to actually have a sense of humor and enjoy herself while Shae Lynn just scares the cr*p out of me. Just looking at that video makes me want to go back and vote B&K off about twelve times if I could. If I were Victor I'd kill myself.