Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ice Dance Round 1

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jun 13, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link among these past champions

Poll closed Jun 19, 2012.
  1. Grishuk & Platov

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  3. Anissina & Peizerat

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  4. Fusar-Poli & Margaglio

99 vote(s)
    48.8%
  5. Lobacheva & Averbukh

17 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Bourne & Kraatz

20 vote(s)
    9.9%
  7. Navka & Kostomarov

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. Denkova & Staviski

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. Delobel & Schoenfelder

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Domnina & Shabalin

26 vote(s)
    12.8%
  11. Virtue & Moir

13 vote(s)
    6.4%
  12. Davis & White

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Yes, you all knew it was coming!:D. Since the ladies and men games have proved to be a success I've decided to do another for the most :drama: category: ICE DANCE.

The rules are the same. You have a pool of the last 12 champions (World or Olympics) and you vote for the one you think is the weakest overall until there's one team standing and wins it all. You can use any criteria (Competitive record, impact on the sport, better programs , etc) but let us all know why you are chosing them so we can :argue: about it :p.

The contenders are:

01. Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov - RUS - 1994,1995,1996 & 1997 Worlds and 1994 & 1998 Olympic Champions.
    02. Angelica Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov - RUS - 1998 and 1999 World Champions.
    03. Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat - FRA - 2000 World and 2002 Olympic Champions.
    04. Barbara Fusar-Poli & Maurizio Margaglio - ITA - 2001 World Champions.
    05. Irina Lobacheva & Ilia Averbukh - RUS - 2002 World Champions.
    06. Shae-Lynn Bourne & Viktor Kraatz - CAN - 2003 World Champions.
    07. Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov - RUS - 2004 & 2005 World and 2006 Olympic Champions.
    08. Albena Denkova & Maxim Staviski - BUL - 2006 and 2007 World Champions.
    09. Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder - FRA - 2008 World Champions.
    10. Oksana Domnina & Maxim Shabalin - RUS - 2009 World Champions.
    11. Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir - CAN - 2010 & 2012 World and 2010 Olympic Champions.
    12. Meryl Davis & Charlie White - USA - 2011 World Champions.

Vote and ejoy.;)

2. SamuraiK

I think this is gonna be very interesting. There are up to at least 4-5 teams who could validly win this and I wouldn't complain so much.

But for now, I'll go with the obvious. Barbara & Maurizio need to go first. I dont hate them as much as everyone else around here but they politicked their way to the top and hardly had any memorable performance. Overated at best.

3. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

This is pretty simple. Fusar-Poli & Magaglio.

4. shady82

shady82 New Member

This is so exciting.

The first team to be eliminated will come down to Domnina/Shabalin and Fusar-poli/Margaglio. IMO both teams deserved neither the World Championship title or Olympic medals they received. However, I'm going with Domnina/Shabalin first since I like their style a bit less. I thought FP/M's 2000 programs were awesome, especially their Celtic FD, even though Anissina/Peizerat were the clear winners.

5. Proustable

Proustable New Member

FP/M. The 2001-2003 world champions were the nadir of the sport. Deciding between FP/M and L/A is actually rather difficult. Went FP/M because they beat A/P when they shouldn't have.

6. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i agree, and i totally made a mistake voting for l/a. i completely had f-p/m in mind!

7. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Barbara and Maurizio must go..Domnina and shabalin should be next followed by lobacheva/averbukh and then Bourne/kraatz then navka-kostomo. Multi rounds of voting done!!

8. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I was never a big fan of Bourne and Kraatz. Hope that Grishuk and Platov get voted off soon though. I don't think they deserved either Olympic gold, and I think that Pasha is a bitch. (I've already put up the ESTA defenses...)

9. shady82

shady82 New Member

I'm hoping for Navka/Kostomarov to get voted off soon. I never understood why they should have the World Championship and Olympic titles they got. I didn't see anything in their skating that was superior to the teams below them.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Fusar-Poli & Margalio, Lobacheva & Averubhk, and Domnina & Shabalin hopefully will be ushered out fast so the real Games can begin. All weak for World Championships caliber teams. Domnina & Shabalin might have been a better one without all their injuries. I voted for the Italians as their World title was the most undeserved one.

11. judgejudy27

I never thought they were amazing but if they didnt deserve to win those events than who did? I would say Denkova & Stayviski for the 2004 Worlds perhaps, but as no other answer ever comes to mind for either the 2005 Worlds or 2006 Olympics I always conclude they deserved to win those titles.

12. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

This game could use a healthy dose of esta.

13. shady82

shady82 New Member

In 2005, I thought Delobel/Schoenfelder or maybe Belbin/Agosto. Or at the very least, Delobel/Schoenfelder deserve to win the FD. In 2006, probably Delobel/Schoenfelder again, though it's a close call. I just don't understand why N/K should stand above the rest. There's nothing outstanding about them technically or artistically. I thought a lot of teams below them were at a similar level at the very least.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Grishchuk & Platov fully deserved their 4 world championships and the 1998 OGM. Although I like Krylova-Ovssianikov a lot, their FD was not as good as G&P's Memorial. Tracy Wilson's biased commentary created a lot of negativity. G&P were the rightful winners in 98. In 94 I did not feel they deserved the OGM, but then who did? U&Z went so far away from their strengths that they opened the door for G&P. I did not feel that Torville-Dean were good enough for a gold, although they were very very good for someone returning after such a long break from competition. G&P may have won by default in 94 (but I am still disappointed with that result).

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Fusar-Poli & Margaglio. Usually I would vote based on objective results, and I have been in the men and ladies polls, but come on, they were totally overrated and didn't deserve most of their wins. Maurizio pretty much face planted his way to an Olympic bronze.

Could make a case for Domnina and Shabalin, since their 2010 Olympic performance wasn't that great, and neither was their 2009 Worlds performance, but he WAS injured, and at least they didn't fall.

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Ha love it that F-P&M are losing so far. Who would have thought?

17. judgejudy27

Delobel & Schoenfelder only had a great FD, and a mediocre OD, and not even very good CDs at the 2005 Worlds and 2006 Olympics. Maybe they deserved a medal but not the gold. At the 2006 Olympics Belbin & Agosto only had a great OD and struggled in the other dances, and I thought their silver was a bit of a gift. Denkova & Stayviski made mistakes at the 2006 Olympics, and their programs and skating were way off in 2005. Grushina & Goncharov were not really even a medal winning quality team and were inflated to be above D&S and D&S at both the Worlds and Olympics. Dubreuil & Lauzon were not contenders until 2006 then sadly fell out of the Olympics.

I thought Navka & Kostomarov deserved the highest PCS most of the times. Their lines and polish were superior to any of the other teams then. They werent amazing, just the best by a bit of the good but not great and open field IMO. If you are Russian #1 in pairs or dance and none of your competitors are anything better than maybe equal with you, and none of them even look like worthy winners, you are going to win most of the time.

18. Macassar88

I thought that their dances in 2004 were great and deserving of a WC. Their original dance was amazing and their pink panther was a lot of fun.

19. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Finally, the fun stuff. :EVILLE:

Bourne & Kraatz. Good edges but terrible posture and I mostly wouldn't call what they did "dancing." They never even had good ODs and being able to interpret ballroom music is obviously a very important aspect of ice dancing. I only thought they had strong OD interpretation early in their career, like 1993 and 1994. All the hydroblading in the ODs and even sometimes the CDs was awful (A&P had their shtick with the reverse lifts, but didn't put that into the OD because it's not within the character of an OD). They were lucky to get on the podium by 1996, and 1999 was definitely a gift. They were beaten by a variety of teams throughout their career and never had a period of real dominance. In fact, they won the 2003 Worlds by their skin of their teeth, with a mistake on the twizzle on the OD (I'd have had them 3rd or 4th in that segment) and barely winning the FD 5/4 with L&A appearing to get higher scores (a few 6.0s) and possibly winning when all judges were counted (IIRC Averbukh thought L&A won 9 votes to 5 but the computer happened to select the 5 B&K judges and 4 L&A giving B&K the win). It also doesn't speak well for them that they had to completely change their style and do a parody of A&P/Russians in order to win the gold.

I do understand why people are voting for DomShabs or FP&M before them, but I definitely don't get L&A. Just compare L&A and B&K's jives from 1998 or their flamenco/tangos from 2002 and it's clear to me L&A are the better dancers. Ilia was a better skater than Bourne or Kraatz as well.

20. Macassar88

I understand some of the world titles but I definitely think that torvill and dean should have won in 1994 and Krylova and Ovsiannikov should have won in 1998. In 1998 gp had the mistake in the Waltz. K and O should have won the OD and the FD. I wasn't impressed by gp that year or in 1994.

21. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I would put DomShabs above FP&M just because they skated a stunning CD in Vancouver.

Although their aboriginal dance OD and Double life of Veronique FD belonged in the bin, their Tango Romantica was one of the best I had ever seen.
    Both V&M and D&W did fine, but Domshabs were a class above them I felt.

Oh how I miss watching compulsory dance. :wuzrobbed

22. Macassar88

I actually didn't mid the double life part. It was the requiem for a dream part that I hated.
    And their tango was definitely up there in the group of best compulsories of all time

23. SamuraiK

I think Navka & Kostomarov definetly deserved their 2004 World and 2006 Olympic title. 2005 Worlds was a disaster when it comes to dance (actually all categories were pretty blah) and they were at home so they won by default.

24. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Easy : Fusar-Poli&Margaglio, they would have never been world champions.

25. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Well I voted FP/M I still can't think of them as world champions :shuffle:
    They did skate a blinder of a FD on the night though :D

I still love A/P BLN FD though :shuffle:They should have won 99 with their MITIM FD :kickass:K/O Jungle programme :scream:

Denstas should have won worlds 2004 IMO Their Handel was :kickass:

The person who's voted G/P out really :confused::rolleyes:

26. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Picking here was way too easy - I went with the clear leaders. :babspmm1:
    (Pitty we don't have a death stare smiley yet :D)

27. casken

casken Well-Known Member

In what world? If D&S had a "not even very good" CD at the 2006 Olympics, than B&A had a disastrous, godawful CD.

Say what you will about F-P&M, they skated closer together and with more sharpness than a few of the other teams they are losing to, and they had one of the best, if not the best, Latin program ever.

Lobacheva and Avberbuch or Bourne & Kraatz should be the first out.

Actually Cherub's post gives a good argument as to why B&K should be out first.

I watched an early FD of theirs from either 92 or 93 recently, and couldn't believe how much better they were back then. Better unison, better lines, more finish and control, more difficult choreography, more thoughtful use of hydrolblading, less obnoxious facial expressions, etc...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  28. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

It seems that in some people's book here having any facial expressions at all is obnoxious and/or totally overdone and tacky. Maybe I am exaggerating (as, in truth, I don't remember anyone else calling facial expressions "obnoxious"), but I think it's not far from that. In any case, I don't see anything that's so terrible in Shae-Lynn's and Viktor's expressions.

29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Pretty much. I was quite disappointed with Wilson's commentary.

I'd probably go with Usova/Zhulin in 1994, but in my magical rewriting of the event, I also have them skating their 1993 program. I make up for it by giving G/P bronze in 1992 (U/Z silver, K/P gold.).

I did prefer K/O's 1997 FD (Masqeurade Waltz) to G/P's though (The Feeling Begins), but both were masterpieces.

I like N/K. I actually think they were quite underrated at times (see 2002 Olympic Games). I'd love to do a comparison in commentary re: Russian pairs/dance teams from the American/Canadian side of things from when a team graduates to number one and see the change. Wilson was pretty anti-DomShabs in 2007 and they had two really good programs (well, one good program, one AMAZING program).

30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Had K&P come out of retirement or U&Z done Four Seasons, either would've wiped the floor with G&P in 1994. But as it was, G&P had the best of an extremely lousy batch of FDs with the most speed and best interpretation. They were lucky to win the 1994 Worlds also, with the fall (I am sure U&Z or T&D would've won had they been there and skated clean). IMO G&P deserved all their titles +1993 Worlds.

Personally I always thought G&P had an interesting career in that they won 3 of the least challenging ice dance seasons ever (94-96 Worlds) and two of the most deep (97-98). By 1998 there were so many good teams and everyone was bringing their a-game bigtime with a lot of iconic programs (Memorial, Carmen, Romeo & Juliet, Riverdance, and the Jesus People). I guess in some way G&P probably contributed to that depth and development.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012