Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ice Dance QUARTER FINALS

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SamuraiK, Jul 23, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link among these past champions?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2012.
  1. Grishuk & Platov

16 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

71 vote(s)
    33.0%
  3. Anissina & Peizerat

28 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Virtue & Moir

100 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Sorry about the delay. Been busy at work. Anyways .. the headband couldn't strike again this time:

5TH PLACE: NAVKA & KOSTOMAROV (51.45% of votes)

The remaining contenders are:

01. Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov - RUS - 1994,1995,1996 & 1997 Worlds and 1994 & 1998 Olympic Champions.
    02. Angelica Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov - RUS - 1998 and 1999 World Champions.
    03. Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat - FRA - 2000 World and 2002 Olympic Champions.
    04.Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir - CAN - 2010 & 2012 World and 2010 Olympic Champions.

Already eliminated.
    06th Place: Denkova & Staviski (38.53% votes)
    07th Place: Davis & White (39.29% votes)
    08th Place: Delobel & Schoenfelder (37.45% votes)
    09th Place: Bourne & Kraatz (41.85% votes)
    10th Place: Lobacheva & Averbukh (46.60% votes)
    11th Place: Domnina & Shabalin (29.65% votes)
    12th Place: Fusar-Poli & Margaglio (48.77% votes)

This will be a quickie round, so vote fast :)
  2. SamuraiK

Bye bye Krylova, great team but too over the top.
  3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think that it should be Anissina and Peizerat. Their final two free dances were pretty eh. Although their flamenco original dance was amazing.
  4. casken

casken Well-Known Member

But you're leaving the team with Scott Moir in? :p
  5. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think that Scott Moir has the perfect amount of emoting. I also enjoy OTT emoting from Krylova and Ovsiannikov.
  6. SamuraiK

He seems a very humble shy boy compared to Krylova's facial expressions.
  7. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The Krylova votes. :wuzrobbed

If the V&M people want to go after anyone else, it should be A&P.They struggled the whole second half of their career. They were at their peak in 98 and 99, but post 99 they struggled to get settled with a lot of their programs and Gwendel seemed to become a very nervy competitor often not looking completely over his feet on basic twizzles and turns. They deservedly lost the OD to F-P&M in 2000 and 2001, controversially lost to them overall in 2001, and barely beat L&A for the OGM.

And Carmina Burana is the second most overrated FD in history. There I said it. :slinkaway

At any other time, K&O would have been at least 3-4 time world champions and Olympic champions. They just had the misfortune of running into the wall known as G&P.

And to be honest, there's more original and difficult choreography and dance holds in this 2:00 Original Dance than all of V&M's FD's combined.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

My K&O dislike is quite independent of my V&M love. :D But I do think V&M should outlast A&P, although both are great.

I'll just copy my post from the last thread on why I believe K&O should go:

9. casken

casken Well-Known Member

That was probably the most absurd and political result of the 90s in ice dance.
  10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I had to vote for Virtue and Moir even though I think they are great. I just think the other teams on the list are even greater. Regarding K&O I actually think they are better than G&P and will probably vote for them to win if they're still in the last round. The Carmen FD from the Olympics was breathtaking.
  11. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I would end Virtue and Moir's run here as well. I adore them, I think they are one of the best teams ever. What hurts them, I think, is the limtations imposed by the new system. They are so artistic, I wonder how they would fare in the old system. They have great blades. Though I too find Scott a bit over the top at times. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I always thought she emotes better. She's very subtle, but captures the essence of the music a bit better. That said, they are extraordinary skaters. The other three just happened to be part of an era that, with its many flaws, was so much more creative.
  12. hyq

hyq New Member

Maybe this round V/M are likely to go . However, congratulate to them. They are the only one team in the last decade still survive at this game:)
  13. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I think V/M should stay. But looks like they won't. I just hope Grishuk & Platov win this as I think the French team is vastly overrated.
  14. puretea

puretea New Member

Voted for A&P.
  15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Wow...I just realized that I enjoy Grishuk/Platov the least of the remaining teams.
  16. shine

shine Well-Known Member

How the heck do K/O have more votes than A/P??
  17. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

K/O to go both of them too OTT for even my taste:shuffle:
  18. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I love how people have to ignore K&O's actual skating and programs to justify eliminating them. :lol:
  19. Subway

Subway New Member

I consider over the top beyond what is natural or supported by what else you're doing. A lot of ice dancers are melodramatic. Moir isn't one of them really. Scott Moir - that's who he is when he performs. It's his natural expression; there's nothing forced. Krylova drove me crazy with the face.

Anassina & Pezerat were over the top with their costumes, hair and make-up but I actually thought they were pretty authentic in their expression too.
  20. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I never really liked K/O and I still think A/P should have won in 1999. :(

I find it really hard to compare V/M to G/P and A/P... I like them all, but ice dance is so different now it is hard to compare who was 'better'.
  21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I voted for K&O. The only one of those which was never a dominant team.
  22. Subway

Subway New Member

I just think a lot of what passes for creative, especially from the 1990's early 2000s, at least among fans, is histrionic, bloated, banal and ends up looking one exactly like the other, OTT everything, literal everything, no imagination at all. Miming on ice. Theaticality is IMO often the opposite of creative. Dance has its own vocabulary. I like when dancers use that, primarily.
  23. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

So many votes for K&O!!!! :wuzrobbed
  24. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

In all of these polls I can never understand whether we are voting against the actual skaters, or their coaches, choreographic teams :confused: :lol: