Figure Skating Books You Can't Wait to Read

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Ah, the WTT. What a fitting end to the season! :blah:

Now it's time for me to catch up on my reading.

:sekret: is sending me a bootlegged translation of what she says Russian figure skaters and their coaches regard as a cult classic. I'm not sure who the author is or what the original title is, but the translation is called Always Use Gloves. It sounds fascinating, and I can't wait to read it. :)

Here are a few other books I can't wait to read.

Pithy Remarks for Every Occasion, by Scott Moir (with an afterword by Eric Radford)
    How I Broke My Potato's Damnation, by Michal Březina
    The Well-Constructed Free Program, by Ksenia Makarova
    Going Full Circle, by Ksenia Makarova
    Landing on My Own Two Feet, by Ashley Wagner
    Choosing the Agent That's Right for You, by Laura Lepistö
    Pain-Free for Life!, by Evgeni Plushenko
    The Old Lady and the Dirty Old Man: The Complete Correspondence of Yana Khokhlova and Nikolai Morozov, edited by Nikita Katsalapov

If you have any recommendations, please post them here.

:watch:

2. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

Coach Changing for Dummies - Michelle Kwan
    10 Ways to Kill a Golden Goose- USFSA
    The Advantages to Always Looking Like a Good Sport - Nancy Kerrigan
    How To Blow Up a Career - Oksana Baiul, Ghost Writer - Christopher Bowman
    Eligibility - Only the Beginning - Brian Boitano
    What To Do When Your Costume is Attacked By a Cat - Irina Slutskaya
    On UnBended Knee - Maria Butyrskaya
    Standing Up for What's Right - Sasha Cohen
    Unfulfilled Potential - Johnny Weir
    Doing It When It Counts - Rudy Galindo; contributors Sarah Hughes, Paul Wylie

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Din of the Black Swans, with contributions from Ashley Wagner, Tatiana Volosozhar, Maxim Trankov, Samantha Cesario, Yréthe Silété, Alexandra Najarro, Aislin Rosado and several others
    Lutz Not and Say We Did, by Alena Leonova
    Ice Castles II: Evil Never Dies: The novelization of the movie in which Badham Ripper exacts revenge on his long-standing nemesis, Waxel Olsson. :slinkaway
    70s Baroque Ave Marias and Killer Clowns of the Caribbean: The 2011-2012 Season in Retrospect, by Nikolai Morozov (It's not like I've ever used that title before. :shuffle:)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This one. :D

Tact and Discretion by Scott Moir

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

101 Make-Up Tips: From Beginner to Professional by Elena Ilynikh with contributions from Elena Glebova, Surya Bonaly, Alena Leonova and Caydee Denney.

Posture, Posture, Posture: A Love Story by Ekaterina Bobrova and Miki Ando. (Available only in Russian and Japanese at the moment)

The Vomit Diaries: Living the American Dream! The Thoughts and recollections of Jeremy Abbott and Alissa Czisny

Dance the Avant Garde by Maia and Alex Shibutani

Confessions of a dirty old goat: The Nikolai Morozov Story

6. figuristka

figuristka Member

Finding the silver lining by having a heart of Gold. By Daisuke Takahashi

The secrets to the program components score .By Patrick Chan

Love them both

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Big Love. Inside the Nikolai Morozov Harem. Introduction by Miki Ando and Alena Leonova.

Ode to a Dartfish. The Collected Thoughts of Christy Krall. Foreword by Patrick Chan and Kathy Johnson.

I'll have what she's having. 100 easy steps to making the Canadian Ladies' World Team by Amelie Lacoste and Cynthia Phaneuf. Introduction by Michael Slipchuk.

It's all sushi to me. Understanding WTT Kiss and Cry Japanese MC Interviews. By Mervin Tran and Chris Reed.

How to make friends and influence people. By Scott Moir.

NASA is my stylist. Space suits for every occasion. By Carolina Kostner.

8. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

Quiet Reflections by Meagan Duhamel

The Art of Damage Control by Eric Radford

9. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

From LA to New York. From New York to LA. Choosing the right coach for you. By Ashley Wagner. Foreword by Shirley Hughes, Priscilla Hill and John Nicks.

10. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

'S Torturous: A Guide to Picking Audience Friendly Music by Scott Moir, Tessa Virtue and Marina Zueva

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :rofl:

How to Avoid Choosing the Agent That's Wrong for You, by Evan Lysacek

Diplomacy and Sportsmanship for All Seasons and All Events, by Michelle Kwan, with Apologia by Scott Moir

How to Turn Hate into Love in Less Than 20 Minutes, by Scott Moir, with Foreword by The Canadian Federation

Melding Marriage with a Figure Skating Comeback, by Johnny Weir and Victor Voronov

From 4th Place Comedy to 2nd Place Catastrophe: How to Reach the Podium with the Wrong Choreographic/ Music Choices, by Alena/ Aliona Leonova, with Foreword by Olga Volozhinskaya :(, and Afterword by Nikolai Morozov :rockstar:

12. snoopyskater

snoopyskater Member

How to Run a Gold Medal Pairs Program by the USFSA
    My Successful Professional Career by Tonya Harding
    Trendsetting Costume Design by Scott Hamilton
    101 Ways to Use a Beilman Position by Irina Slutskatya and Evgeni Plushenko
    Advice on Changing Your Name by Pasha
    How to Implement Team Competition and Snub Synchronized Skating at the Olympics by Olympic Organizing Committee

13. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

She's the NEXT BIG THING! A Guide to Marketing Junior Skaters Without Hype by the USFSA.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Personal Responsibility, By Emanuel Sandhu; Foreword by Tonya Harding
    Thin Thighs in 30 Days, By Brian Boitano

15. aftershocks

Triple Axel Trials and Tribulations, by Adam Rippon, with Foreword by Stephane Lambiel, and Afterword by Jason Brown

The Vagaries of and Victories Against Equipment and Costume Unpredictabilities, by Mark Ladwig and Ross Miner

Rockin’ in the Garden of Souls and Rollin’ at WTT with Blues for Chanook, by Daisuke Takahashi :cool:

The Dancer Within: Becoming Untrapped and Freeing My Latent Artistry, by Patrick Chan, with Foreword by Kathy Johnson; Thumbs down review by Christy Krall

The Edges of Doubt: To Retire Or Not to Retire When You Lose Your Competitive Desire, by Patrick Chan, Afterword by Stephane Lambiel

A Must See Film! Rated X for Xcitement:
    Attack of the Undeafeatable SS, starring Patrick Chan, directed by Toller Cranston, written by Steve Milton, featuring Kurt Browning, Jeffrey Buttle, Christy Krall, and Kathy Johnson, costume design by Tess Johnson, stunts designed by Emanuel Sandhu, Stand-In for Chan: Han Yan, produced by P.J. Kwong, with cameos by ISU judges and members of the Chan Gang and the Canadian Federation; 2-Star Review by Elvis Stojko.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Shawn Sawyer could write a chapter for "Triple Axel Trials and Tribulations" too. ;)

17. kukkura

kukkura Member

"A Little Goes a Long Way – The Futility of a Full Set of Triples" by a large group of COP era female skaters

18. aftershocks

The Hunter and the Hunted: In Search of Axel Paulsen, by Adam Rippon
    (Working Title: Ripping On: Learning How Not to Stalk the Elusive 3-Axel)

Redemption in Three Acts, a play with solo performances by Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, and Alissa Czisny, directed by Jason Dungjen and Yuka Sato, Costumes designed by Johnny Weir, Lighting by Janet Lynn; Abbott mentored by Robin Cousins, Rippon mentored by Johnny Weir; Czisny mentored by Janet Lynn and Brian Boitano

The Quad Games, by Evgeni Plushenko and Elvis Stojko, with Foreword by Brian Joubert, and Afterword by Patrick Chan (5-Star Review by caseyedwards)

The Chan Chronicles, by Patrick Chan and The Chan Gang, with illustrations by Toller Cranston

19. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

How to recycle Your best moments including fitting in old clothes by Brian Joubert

How to stay in perfect shape once Your sports career is over
    by Artur Dmitriev and Maxim Staviski

How to end Your career with a bang by Maxim Staviski and Andrei Lutai

Professional behavior towards Your female students by Nikolai Morozov with a foreword by Oleg Vasiliev

How to look cheerful in every situation by Yuko Kavaguti with a foreword by Kexin Zhang

Modesty by Patrick Chan

How to get Japanese citizenship in 10 days by Mervin Tran

How to portray Your favorite movie star appropriately by Ksenia Makarova

Transforming Russian Ice Dance into a soap opera by Pasha Grishuk, Maya Usova, Alexander Zhulin, Tatiana Navka, Natalia Mikhailova with contributions from Nikita Katsalapov, Elena Ilinykh and Nikolai Morozov

20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

This one in particular :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can't wait for more! :lol:

21. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

:rofl:

Learning Maths is easy, by Nobunari Oda
    An essay about diplomacy, by Scott Moir
    10 tips to make everyone love you, by Patrick Chan
    Lolita 2012, by Elena Ilinykh and Morozov
    How to cook with love, by Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    Robocop 2012, by Evegny Plushenko
    Being sexy is easy, by Daisuke Takahashi

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  22. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I'm too sexy for my shirt - The tale of Alexander Smirnov, by Alexander Smirnov
    Emos do it better, by Maxim Trankov
    How to be easy-going, by Maria Mukhortova

23. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Marley and Me - Rockne's Journey - by Rockne Brubaker

24. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Practical Uses For Duct Tape, by Tessa Virtue

How To Motivate Your Team, by Scott Moir

But I Won At Nationals!, Third Edition, by Jeremy Abbott

Everyone Who Leaves Me Does Better Next Season, by Priscilla Hill

*nervous* I'm new here. Hi.

succubus, ChelleC, rfisher and 5 others like this.
  25. Katarzyna

Hi Pink Feathers - welcome! And well done! :lol:

26. AJ Skatefan

If You Can't Say Something Nice, Don't Say Anything At All - by Scott Moir

27. AJ Skatefan

These are funny! :lol:

28. aftershocks

:lol: :cool:

Welcome, Pink Feathers! Funny, funny, funny :lol: especially your 1, 2, :rofl: and 3 :rollin: selections. Hopefully, Jeremy will rewrite his Redemption script and perform to the extraordinary level of his talent more consistently.

I do have a soft spot for Priscilla Hill, and I think she is an excellent coach in many ways, especially on the technical side. There are reports alas, that perhaps she has some limitations in helping skaters deal with the emotional and strategic aspects of the sport. I always loved seeing Priscilla (and her costume coordinating) with Johnny Weir in the kiss n' cry. It was nice seeing Priscilla with Victor Pfeiffer at Worlds too. Victor is a lovely skater to watch with his lyrical grace.

Anyway, in this off-season bookstore, it seems that anything goes! The season was a wild and crazy ride, so the off-season literature must surely tell it like it is/ was. ;)

On that note:

Partings Sweet and Sour, by Caydee Denney, John Coughlin, Jeremy Barrett, Caitlin Yankowskas, Joshua Reagan, Ashley Cain, Taylor Toth, and Felicia Zhang (loads of skaters and coaches wanted to write Forward/ Afterward, but the multiple authors already had enough/ too much to say, so they declined including additional commentary)

Quad Heaven: I Told You So, Part Deux, by Evgeni (Quad King) Plushenko [A special conference to discuss this tome is being planned by caseyedwards, with Patrick Chan rumored to be tapped to give the keynote address -- and Elvis Stojko has agreed to lead a panel discussion]

Staying Together Through Thick and Thin, by Mark Ladwig and Amanda Evora, Foreword by Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner, and Afterword by Mark Ladwig

The Wondrous Benefits of Pie AND Cake, by The U.S. Skating Federation, featuring major profiles on Joshua Farris and Jason Brown, with Foreword by Frank Carroll and Afterword by Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek

How to Channel the Honey Badger Within, by Keegan Messing, Foreword by Ralph Burghart and Rory Flack Burghart (favorably reviewed by Johnny Weir) :)

MAC Magic: Fire and Ice Makeup Tips for Ladies Figure Skaters, by Johnny Weir, Foreword by Tessa Virtue and Meryl Davis (preordered by Caydee Denney, Aliona Savchenko, and countless other ladies and men ... skaters and non-skaters alike, eligible, professional, retired, you name it :p)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  29. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Cooking your food with Glitter by Johhny Weir (he said in some article he actually puts glitter on his food, so this could be a real title:lol:)

When you fall, get back up, Alissa Czisny

My Mink Coat Collection, a coffee table book, by Tatianna Tarasova

Surviving the Horrors of Scott Moir by the Canadian Team, a tell all of what went on behind the scenes

30. Katarzyna

"Speed kills - ways to slow yourself down" by Carolina Kostner

“Artistry in figure skating” by Timothy Goebel, including an essay by Elvis Stojko “It's more than jumps”.

“Make up for Men” by Emanuel Sandhu

“100 advantages of skating with plateau boots” by Maxim Stavisky

“Making people laugh despite trying to be serious – reflections on my students' choreo” by Alexej Mishin

“How to do quads till age 65” by Evgenij Plushenko including a rating of 10 different knee prosthesis models (this is nasty, I know :eek:)

“The one wife I love or fidelity as life value” by Alexander Zhulin

“Skating with a jerk” by Tessa Virtue :EVILLE: