Figure Skaters on Postage Stamps

aftershocks

Banned Member
I just came across these postage stamps from Paraguay 1980 with Robin Cousins -- quite wonderful!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Cousins

There must be so many other issues from various countries featuring skaters. The U.S. has issued stamps with Olympics and skating-related themes, but I'm not familiar with U.S. stamps that have actual photos of figure skaters. Dick Button should surely appear on a U.S. stamp. Similar to Robin Cousins, Dick likely has already appeared on foreign stamps.

Does anyone know of other stamps through the years featuring skaters?

twinsissv

Good for...Robin! I remember him well. One of my very first skating heroes. I'm surprised the U.K. didn't do this for him. :40beers:

Artemis@BC

Cachoo

I know Katarina was on a stamp in the late 80's in her Carmen gear and it was an Asian country. But I need to look for more info.

Also Brian Boitano also was feature on a postage stamp from Paraguay after the 88 Olympics.

.....ok I keep running into stamps...Nancy Kerrigan on a stamp from Azerbaijan....

Good Gawd: Google Sonja Henie postage stamps....

Oksana B. on a commemerative stamp for Ukraine

Last edited:

Cachoo

Witt's stamp was from South Korea. Ebay has Kwan stamps but I don't know if they are postage stamps.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yeah, I mean what is it with Paraguay and their love of figure skaters on postage stamps? :) Not that I'm complaining. I think it's really cool, but hard to fathom why they seem to like ice skating heroes so much. Perhaps their hot climate leads them to celebrate wintry wonderland climates and winter sports?

In the U.S. I believe they have some restrictions on placing currently living persons no matter how famous, on postage stamps. Sometime after her death, e.g., stamps were issued featuring Maya Angelou. And there's a whole series of stamps featuring famous Hollywood actors, and other series for musicians, writers, etc. Lots of sports-themed stamps too, but only sports stars who passed away are considered for having their portraits placed on stamps. At least the U.S. Postal Service over the past 25 to 30 years has been issuing many more interesting and varied stamps than they ever used to.

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

I saw a Canadian one with Kurt Browning many years ago, 1990s probably.

I too thought there might have been a Kurt Browning stamp, but I couldn't find it, not by googling, and not on the Canada Post philately site (which has a searchable database).

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
Paraguay is pretty much making stamps to sell to foreign collectors who want stamps NOW. Unless the US has changed its rules for formal postage (they've bent it for fictional characters depicted by actors, I know) to appear on a stamp first you have to be deceased. (1961 World Team stamp?)

Scrufflet

I too thought there might have been a Kurt Browning stamp, but I couldn't find it, not by googling, and not on the Canada Post philately site (which has a searchable database).
I remember he was gliding, with arms out. Quite nice, actually. I saved it because I was going to use it in a jewellery project that never happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information