Figure blades sizing?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by danceronice, Apr 25, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

A friend has quite generously offered me her old pair of figures blades, if they fit. Is the sizing the same as any other blade? Does knowing the boot size give me a fair guess as to whether they'll work or not (despite her boots being a different brand?)
  2. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Measure the sole of your boot. The total length in inches is the maximum blade size (stanchion length) for those boots. Most boot makers and fitters recommend a blade that's a 1/4" shorter than the total length of the boot. http://www.skate-buys.com/sizingblades.html Each boot can be a different length, even if it's the same model and size, so play it safe and measure the destination boot's sole.
  3. J-Ro

J-Ro New Member

To clarify on the above post: do NOT use blades that are SHORTER than 1/4" than the length of the sole. The balance of the blade will be off otherwise. If they are not the right length, please do yourself a favor and decline them. They will not help you. But yes, MEASURE the length of the sole. All blades come in 1/4 inch increments.
  4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Older MK blades were made in third-inch measurements, but when they merged with Wilson, they switched over to quarter-inches. My patch blades (MK Silver Test) are 9-2/3" and similar third-inch blades come up on eBay now and then. I've seen modern-day Quest and Ultima blades with third-inch measurements, which I thought was strange, but it makes sense, price- wise. It's cheaper for mfgs to use a less-broad range of blade sizes, cuts down on the variety of raw materials for stock sets.

As I said before, most fitters recommend the 1/4" shorter blade, but I know skaters who've used a 1/2" shorter for their own reasons. In that situation, the blade is set further back from the front edge, so that the rocker is positioned correctly for turns.

It is better to go with the norm, however, especially if you want to use them for freestyle jumps.
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  5. J-Ro

J-Ro New Member

The chances of finding the 1/3 inch-increment MK blade are pretty slim. Yes, I owned them back when they made them in the '70s and '80s but not since, so it's not really relevant. Wilsons were always 1/4 inch increments. I have not heard of a skater using a blade 1/2 an inch shorter than the sole. Yes, people do have their own preferences but going with shorter blades has the potential to be dangerous, especially for someone who likely doesn't have a lot of experience. It's so easy to rock back and fall on your head. It happened to my friend who had blades that were too short.