Fertilizer Plant Explosion in Waco, West Texas

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Apr 18, 2013.

1. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Roll calls would be nice, but in evacuation and rescue situations that is not always possible. I worked on the receiving end for nursing home patients received during Hurricane Katrina. The pilots were bringing in plane after plane of people to us. They said they literally just opened the doors and let anyone and everyone on who was standing there until it was full. The hope is that on the other end someone is accounting for each person, but in the cases of nursing home patients they don't always come with medical charts and sometimes cannot even tell their own name.

2. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers to the people of Waco.

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Willie Nelson grew up in Abbott, TX...5 miles north of West:

I live about 60 miles SE of Austin; the local news is all about this tragedy. It looks like the town was hit by a tornado.

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

CNN is reporting that the Mayor of West has confirmed that a Dallas Fire Capt who lived in West and as soon as the Fire broke out headed to the scene to help, is among those killed. AFAIK, this is the first of those First Responders who has been identified as having been killed on duty, but I have a very sad feeling he won't be the last. :(

Condolences to his Family and my thoughts and prayers to all in the area.

I said it last night, but...What a horrific week so far. :(

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

What is frightening is this company has had reported safety breaches in the past. When the investigation is done the sh*t is going to hit the fan.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Do they know yet how many has been killed?

7. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Reports have been around 15 but I think there saying they have a little more ground to cover for recovery.

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

How Terrible! Let's hope the causality numbers do not get higher. :( Prayers to the victims and the entire town of West.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Really? All the articles I read have said they have a pretty clean record, just a few minor infractions- which pretty much every company would have.

Based on the condition of the town, I think the shit has already hit the fan...

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

They said last night that they had a lapsed certificate, or something like that, 5 or so years ago but they rectified that situation. I haven't heard of any other safety breaches.

11. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

These are the things I've heard, too. Minor administrative infractions.

12. AragornElessar

Just got a CBC News Alert to my iPod Touch....Police have removed 40 bodies from the Plant during the night/morning. :(

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I live very close to West & as of now the official death toll is 14. I don't know where that Canadian news agency got their number. That doesn't seem like very responsible reporting - more like sensationalism. There could eventually be that many deaths but that number is not confirmed at this time.

Our contractor is a volunteer fireman in a nearby town & my husband talked to him this morning - he said one of his friends was killed in the blast. So I think the news we are getting here is more accurate.

14. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

They didn't. The news flash I got on my phone this morning from CBC said 12 were recovered. That's the number on the flash, on their web site, and being reported on their TV channel.

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It could very well climb that high before all this is over.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

About safety violations, I am sure there are public documents if someone wants to look up. Right now I am more concerned about the victims of the blast. I can't imagine the death toll being just 12, based on the pictures.:(

17. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Very true but it is irresponsible to report 40 if only 14 are confirmed. I pray that 14 is the correct number.

18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I can't find anything from CBC saying that 40 bodies had been removed.

19. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Didn't we have two lectures recently from the above poster saying 1) Canadian news reporting is less sensationalistic than that in the US, & 2) that SHE knows correct news reporting?

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  20. AragornElessar

All I did was report what the News Flash/Alert I got said. That's it. That's all.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

22. jlai

jlai Title-less

Many people I know know West, Texas because of the Czech stop

My coworker, who is from Texas City, was talking about the Texas City explosion decades ago that the West city disaster reminded him of (of course, the one in Texas city was one of the worst ones in US history)

23. AragornElessar

No, because I didn't bother to do anything else other than look at the alert. I've got a vicious head cold right now and combine that w/being up very late last night following what was going on in Boston, I basically looked at the iPod, then put it back down and I fell back asleep. When I checked it again a few hours later, it was still on the screen when I turned it back on and it was the exact same message as I posted this Morning.

As I said earlier, that's what I saw, the CBC is usually right about these things, so I didn't think twice about posting it.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

From CNN, this morning:

14 bodies recovered after Texas blast
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/texas-explosion/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Sorry to be morbid...but these 14 recovered, were they the 14 already confirmed dead? And how many more are missing?

26. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

It would be nice if there were none. (sigh)

We travelled close to there when we were in TX in Feb. My heart goes out to the community of West.

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The mayor is the person who was sharing the higher number of fatalities with the media, who reported what he said.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It is now believed that all the missing has been accounted for so the death toll hopefully will not climb any higher.

29. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

There are reports that the plant was storing 1,350-times the amount of ammonium nitrate that would normally trigger oversight by the Department of Homeland Security, but failed to comply with reporting requirements. DHS didn't even know the plant existed until it exploded.

I know this probably should be in PI, but what outrages me is that this will probably be called a regulatory failure by Republicans, who will blame the Obama administration. Of course, it is Republicans who have been eliminating inspections and "job-killing" regulations in the first place, leaving it to businesses to self-report instead. I would rather have "job-killing" regulations than "people-killing" businesses. Oh, and for the people of West, who have had their lives destroyed, good luck getting recovery. The plant owners will almost certainly declare bankruptcy, while the insurance companies will cover up to policy limits, but also will try to argue that they should not be liable for what were criminal acts by the plant owners in stockpiling amounts of explosive fertilizer far in excess of legal limits.

30. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

The big irony will be that whatever isn't paid out by the fertilizer company or insurance will come from government coffers. It all comes back to tax payers one way or another.