Fertilizer Plant Explosion in Waco, West Texas

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Apr 18, 2013.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I was watching the 10pm edition of Anderson 360 on CNN when the news broke. Piers just finished speaking w/the Mayor and he was saying there's a five mile radius of homes and other buildings collapsed, including a nursing home and apartment. There's also another tank at the Plant that is *still* filled at the Plant and obviously they're worried about it going too.

Guys, this is *bad* just from the little that's been reported so far. This area's also got mainly Volunteer Firefighters and they're doing the best they can to keep things from becoming much worse, which it would become if that other tank goes up. In fact, that was the reason why the Mayor had to cut his phone interview w/Piers, because he's part of the Volunteer Fire Dept.

Keep those brave Men and Women in your prayers right now and the entire area in your Prayers for the foreseeable future.

Dear God...What a horrific week this has been so far... :(

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

CNN and MSNBC both had extensive coverage. It's horrifying. About 80 homes have been impacted. They expect many casualties but have not released any numbers yet. The images of the burning area are scary.

I lived in Austin once, and Waco is about 100 miles from there. This little town West, Tx (funny name) is something that I had never heard of. On the TV they said that the explosion was felt 70 miles away! There could still be a second explosion, so they are being very careful.

So this week we had- 1)bomb explosions at the Boston Marathon (terrorism- domestic or international), 2)Ricin in mail for a senator and the president, 3)Explosion in Texas (does not sound like a terrorist attack)

What next? Need some good news now.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

OMFG!!!! Dozens could be dead including volunteer firemen, residents of an apartment building which was levelled, and residents of a nursing home.

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Horrific. :(

6. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Firemen and women are heroes.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

The footage I saw of this was unbelievable. Just terrible. Fertiliser is dangerous stuff. Being involved in safety I will be interested to see what the outcome of the investigation will be.

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Truly horrific. One clarification that can be confusing in the news reports, the explosion appears to be in a city called "West" near Waco, Texas. "West Texas" is used generically to describe the west part of the state which is hours away. The town "West, Texas" is south of Dallas.

9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Awful. I woke up to this news this morning, and it's a very strange feeling watching it from across the pond and knowing that most of my US based friends don't know yet, and are about to wake up to it. Horrific.

There is footage of the actual explosion, too. BBC is saying more than 100 casualties. Given the size of the explosion, I'm really surprised it's not more :(

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I am so sad to hear this. West is a teeny little town, just a drive through for most people. I frequently drove through it to get from Austin to Waco. There was a little gas station called the Czech Stop that had the greatest kolaches in the world. They have a very strong Czech community there- a college roommate has a lot of extended family in West. He scholarships were all from the West Czech club.

She has an uncle who is fire chief (?) there and he says they expect to evacuate the entire town.

She said on her facebook today she heard 70 deaths, so I was surprised to see MSNBC reporting 5-15. I really hope the lower number is right, but I fear it is not.

11. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

This is just awful, they are reporting many firefighters missing as they were at the scene already trying to put out the original fire before the explosion.

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That's what I suspected. Just awful.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Jesus. Five blocks of destruction all around. You do not fcuk with chemicals.

THINGS. STOP BLOWING UP.

How many other small towns are like this, at the mercy of a dangerous chemical plant? We just had lab safety day at my work, but the worst that happens is that someone sets their lab bench on fire. We're a biology lab - nothing blows up. You seriously do no fcuk with chemicals. Especially large amounts of them. Devastating. :(

15. Skittl1321

A friend just reported her 90-year old Uncle is still missing from the nursing home :(

I can't imagine how devestating this is for West.

16. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

That article noted a small amount of looting?? what are people looting? The chemicals? Eeek.

17. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

How close are the homes, school and nursing home to this fertilizer plant? Don't they separate industrial and residential areas in Texas? It sounds, from the written descriptions, (I haven't had a chance to see any pics other than one of a big fire and plume of smoke), that the plant is pretty much right beside all the homes. Is this the case?

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Very concentrated town center there. I stopped at one of the famous bakeries while on an Austin to Waco BBQ binge.

19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

One of the first reports I heard last night described the nursing home as essentially being a block or two away from the plant. The town's population is less than 3,000, so I think that everything is likely pretty close together.

20. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My father worked in agribusiness. In one small town we lived in, teenagers thought it was a great prank to sneak into the anhydrous plant and turn the valves to start leaks. If we were gone for the evening and driving back into town at night in warm weather months, my dad would routinely stop there to check for leaks and often find some. He had his assistant manager do the same. It was his nightmare that they would cause a major leak, spray themselves (anhydrous burns are horrific), or trip something that would lead to an explosion. However, the way the tanks are generally designed (and the news article I read notes this) major leaks are the biggest hazard.

Dad was finally able to persuade the board at the company to install security so that kids trying to get in there tripped an alarm. He spent the beginning of that spring going out there to check it and reset the alarms every other night, but then they stopped.

21. Skittl1321

As other people have answered, this is a very small town- so there isn't much distance between anything.

That said, there are a few cities in Texas that have no zoning laws (not sure if Houston still doesn't but for a long time they didn't- they were definetly the most notable example). It is rare, but I think it is a hold back from not wanting any regulation.

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thinking of you, and everyone else affected by the tragedy.

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I was staying at the Hilton Anatole (on work) in Dallas last night and I felt the explosion. I called down to the front desk to see if there had been an earthquake and they politely laughed at me.

I was sure there had been a small earthquke and figured it would just take time for it to be reported.

Turns out this explosion created a small seismic event. I am afraid to see how high the death toll climbs. It will take days to search all that rubble.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Skittl1321

My friend's Uncle has been located. He had been transferred to a nursing home about 20 minutes away. It is crazy how even such a small town takes time to figure out where everyone is. You'd almost think they could just have a roll call!

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Vash01

Wow! That is really far. They were reporting 70 miles but Dallas is over 100 miles (highway) from Waco and West is 20 miles north of Waco (from the reports), so it sounds like the blast was felt even further than 70 miles.

I am sure there was so much chaos there that people didn't even get close to the nursing home for a long time. From the pictures on TV it looked like it was completely gone. Glad to hear your friend's uncle is safe.

26. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

Thank goodness!

27. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I'm glad your friend's Uncle has been found and that he's safe Skittl1321.

The pictures that have been shown, along w/the footage, is just unbelievable. The one piece of footage I saw, showed how one house was just a smouldering pile of wreckage, the building to the one side had globs of plastic on it that came from the building on the other side of the wrecked home and was that other house's plastic siding that was nothing more than a hanging mess of plastic....globbiness for lack of a better word.

One doctor I heard last night was just so close to breaking down and he kept saying, "I know my EMT's are gone, I know our Firefighters are gone..." Heartbreaking does not even come close to it. :(

28. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Another sad day ... too many lately! Thinking of all those affected by Boston and now Waco.

29. Vash01

If they did, they are taking big risks with their lives. Not only is there the obvious danger (more explosions/toxic chemicals) but even away from the site, I am sure the air quality has been impacted negatively for several miles and possibly several towns & cities. Breathing the polluted air would be my concern even if I was not near the plant.

30. Skittl1321

My guess is anyone looting is taking stuff from stores whose windows were blown out. I don't think they would even be able to get close to the chemical facility due to authorities, and even if they could, I doubt there is much left to take.