Feedback and Post Upgrade

Discussion in 'Board Business' started by Server Guy, Oct 18, 2012.

1. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Then I hope it gets changed. Better?

2. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

hate hate hte the teeny tiny log-in thing. like my log-in field BIG and right up in my face, thankyouverymuch. I mean, if I can barely see it on this 18" library computer screen, god only knows what it would look like on my 1.8" "feature" phone screen! okay, I also hate hate hate that there's no link like there used to be at the bottom of the page to choose another forum. I have to scroll back up the page to switch forums. I tried the other bullentin board styles but they all seem worse than this default one.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  3. galaxygirl

immoimeme, there is a drop down box where you can choose another forum at the end of the posts next to 'Quick Navigation'. Unfortunately, that doesn't work too well on the phone, so I just click 'Top' and then 'Forum' to get to the main forum page.

4. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Hi guys. I'm back after a bit of prolonged absence. I've having some issues understanding some of the problems you guys are facing and if I'm having trouble understanding, that means I can't fix it.

So, in light of this, if you have a problem with the site, please write a easy to understand description of the problem. Usually, it'd be great to outline what it should do so I can try and figure out what you mean. If you spot a bug, a small screenshot of it would be nice.

I apologise for my absence however, as ever I'm delighted to be able to help you guys have a better browsing experience here.

Edit: Oooooo, 1500 vCash. It seems I won a bet while I was gone ;)

5. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

One issue I'm having is that when I click 'view first unread post' I'm taken to the next unread page rather than the next unread post even when I've only read, for example, the first post on a page.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Welcome back Serverguy, and congrats on winning vCash! If you were on vacation, I hope you had a good one.

7. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Can't replicate that one. I've tried in a couple threads and the functionality works perfect for me.

Thank you very much :)

8. galaxygirl

Hi, Server Guy and welcome back. :)

My issue is that when I click on the link icon, paste the url in the pop up box then click 'ok' the link code is added to my post but with the URL as the descriptive text between the html tags. If it were highlighted, I could just start typing the descriptive text for the link but since it's not, I have to manually delete the URL. Does this make sense?

Does this happen when you've only read the first post on the page but there are more posts on that same page? IOW, you stopped reading the thread before finishing all of the posts on the last page you read (even though there are more pages in the thread)? If so, I think the board has always done this and, yeah, it's a little frustrating when you're reading a thread with long, involved posts (like in PI) and don't have time to read all of the posts on the page.

9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I hope your absence involved :grope: ;)

The hyperlink thing is problematic for me (as mentioned above). The blue used is just too close to all the other colors on the site, as well as the type. Maybe adding a bold would work, or an underline, or changing the color - something to make it clearly look like a link. For example: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...UT-the-other&p=3750588&viewfull=1#post3750588 The word OPA was a link, but it didn't look like one.

The other thing that bugs is that there isn't a clear definition between the post and the signature, especially on the phone version. On the web you can see it, but it would be nicer if the line was darker. On the phone version, it simply looks like the signature is part of the post - which is confusing. :shuffle:

Thanks!

10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I suspect that is what the issue is too - it happened to me in both the last version and this version. Once I realized it, I could live with the minor irritation. However, it does happen more on my phone and e-reader than my laptop access.

11. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses :)

And yes, it happens after reading only one or two posts on a page. I've never noticed it before.

I've noticed it particularly because I'm watching my NHK Trophy recordings of the competitions atm and following pbp on here. After reading a few posts eg on page 4, then check running order on page 1, I'm taken back to page 5 even though there are unread posts on page 4. (If you repeat these actions, you then go to page 6 even if no posts were actually read on page 5!) It's just odd.

** ETA clarification

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  12. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Hi and thank you. Yes it makes sense. There are only so many things I can do to fix this so everyone is happy. For the time being, I've modified the editor and it now provides an alternative way of adding links. Thus, you are not shown the BB code and can simply edit the link by changing the text. It's hard to explain. Try it out and let me know what you think. If you don't like it, we can revert an explore other solutions. Always good to have feedback! :D

I'll definitely look in to the signature thing on the Mobile Style. For now, what color would you recommend for links or do you think they'd look better if I added bold to them?

13. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I think bold would be sufficient. Or PURPLE. :p

14. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

I changed it slightly. Does that make any difference to you guys? :)

15. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I for one like it. Stands out without being too in your face.

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like it too, thanks server guy

17. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

18. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Test - I should go here for some OPA!

ETA - much better. Thanks. :)

19. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

This is a test.

Cool.

Also:
    Is it my computer or have everyone's usernames turned to a REALLY bright blue? (It's hard on the eyes...)

The navigation links at the top of the page are in the same fluorescent blue, as are all of the thread titles, etc., on the main page. Eek! Hmm...

Thanks for your great work, Server Guy!

20. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Yep, Mine is too. Poster names and thread names are suddenly a much brighter blue. I came here to see if it was on purpose.

21. A.H.Black

This is sort of picky but some of my other boards have this feature and I really like it so here goes.

I like the "go" button at the bottom of the page. Could we also have a button/link that would go back to the main forum page at the bottom of each page too? I often want to go to the main forum and it would save me some clicks to be able to do it at the bottom of the thread rather than scrolling back up to the top of the page or clicking the "top" button.

22. Really

If you scroll down to the bottom and look in the bottom left corner, you see a style drop-down box. If you choose vB4, you don't see the flourescent blue links. But there may be other features in that style you don't like, so you get to pick whichever one suits you better.

23. Really

Click on the drop box beside the Go button and choose "Forums Home."

24. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Thank you very much :)

25. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Yeah, that is because we changed the colour of links. Everything that has brightened up is a link. There's no two ways about it unfortunately. I'll see what I can do, if anything but yeah that's the trade off.

I could give it a shot. You mean like a button that says 'Home' and will take you back to http://fsuniverse.net/forum/? What does everyone else think about this?

26. A.H.Black

That's exactly what I mean. The drop box is an option, but I like the actual "home" button better. I know it's a bit picky but it's a help for me.

27. galaxygirl

Thanks, Server Guy. I only saw the one way to post a link and it worked the same way as before so I'm a little confused. :lol: It's not a huge deal for me at the moment but it would be nice if it eventually worked just like it did in the old version of the board.

28. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

The sekret skater favicon's gone missing again, back to vBulletin checkmark default.

29. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Actually, it's meant to be a 'V' ;) I'll get on fixing that though.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Testing... I am posting this at 50 minutes after the hour by my clock. My post reads 34 minutes after the hour... Is this fixable? I only recently noticed that my posting clock is now well behind real time.