Feedback and Post Upgrade

Discussion in 'Board Business' started by Server Guy, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Hello there,

As my username suggests, I'm the server guy and have been leading the upgrade and other optimizations of FSUniverse. I have been reading your feedback and making appropriate changes as I go along. In this thread, I will detail the changes and will ideally be able to get constructive feedback on how I can make the forums better for you.

So, you may have noticed that FSU went through a major upgrade a few days ago and this has drastically improved performance and reduced load on the server which is a major plus for everyone. But with this upgrade were tons of changes which some may be great while others not so great. It's my job to make sure everything is in tip top shape and you are browsing this forum at it's best.

New features!
    As with every upgrade, new features are introduced. Well in this upgrade, quite a lot have come along including a new editor, auto saving of unfinished posts, better performance, better mobile styles, that sort of thing. There's basically too many to list and you'll find them as you go along. I remember reading someone seeing the new notification about Reputation comments and how that's useful.

Mobile Browsing
    Another new addition by me is an improved mobile browsing experience from the palm of your hands. Right now, I have implemented three different methods of mobile browsing.

First up is Forum Runner support iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. You'll be able to browse the forum with Forum Runner, a dedicated application, that lets you browse on the go without having to fiddle with a desktop style.

Second is Tapatalk. Similar to Forum Runner but supports a lot more platforms including iDevices, Android, Blackberry and Google Chrome. Yes! If you install the Tapatalk Notifier to Google Chrome, you'll be alerted when you receive a new Private Message. Other than that, it's a dedicated application for browsing the forums, like Forum Runner but has a wider platform library.

Thirdly, is the Mobile Style. Browse from any mobile device (or PC if you fancy) with a dedicated mobile style optimized for low bandwidth use and works great on touch screen phones. It incorporates many features from the main forum so you're not really losing out either.

vBulletin 3 Style
    Yes, many of you asked for it when I had a look around. You didn't like the change and thought it looked like many other vBulletin 4 boards. I have now brought back the vBulletin 3 style and it is the default style again. It looks slightly different to match with the changes that were brought along with vBulletin 4. The lips will also be brought back once they are adjusted for the new style, bare with me :)

Anti-Spam Solution
    A solution has also been put in place to put an end or at least slowdown spammers by a great deal. Over the next few days, we'll be observing how this is working and I'm sure many of you will appreciate this change.

Other Changes
    Over the next few days you'll be seeing new things around the site and also new systems being incorporated to ensure the smooth running of the site. New services have been implemented to improve performance, less database load and other techy things and you should be benefiting from these changes.

The whole purpose of this thread is basically to inform you of some new things and to get your feedback. For instance, do you want to see something in particular on the site? Don't like a certain aspect? Or anything else? Leave a comment and me or Sharpie will get back to you.

LadyNit, galaxygirl, Lanna and 3 others like this.
  2. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Thanks, there have been a few more comments on the other thread (Which I am now going to close) so if you can take a look at what you have missed there that would be great.

3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

From the closed thread:

Never mind. I found it again. It's the settings link and it works the same was as the old User CP. :)

4. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Was just about to write back to you on that. Glad you found it :D

5. purple skates

I'm playing with stuff instead of doing my work :shuffle: An upgrade makes for a great procrastination tool. :lol:

Anyway, when I clicked My Profile, the first thing that popped up was my activity. :yikes: Same creepy Facebook-like thing. Is there a way to turn that off individually without making yourself invisible?

6. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

vB4 isn't an option in the forum skin styles. I know a lot of people wanted the vB3 style back, but why wasn't vB4 kept as an option for those of us who liked it?

7. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Thanks!
    The color scheme is better already :)

Can we have the OK button back, next to the quick navigation menu?
    We always have to go to the top of the page to return to the thread list.

I know I sound like a broken record...

8. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Ah, glad you spotted that! It was my mistake, I was cleaning the old stuff out and must've unticked the vB4 style. It's back now and I apologize for this mistake :)
    I'll see what I can do regarding this :)

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Is there any other forum out there that cares about and caters so much to its users? Thank you, SHARPIE and Server Guy. You rock! :40beers:

10. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

And thanks to Sharpie and anyone else who's involved in these upgrades. :cheer2:

11. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Thank you very much :D We're trying to make sure you get the best browsing experience possible and your feedback is vital for this. Again, thank you all for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Also, the 'Go' button has been added back next to the Quick Navigation menu near the bottom of the page.

12. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I got the notice about Tapatalk support :cheer2: but no search term within the app (fsuniverse, fsuniverse.net, figure skating universe, fsu) seems to bring it up. Do I just need to be patient or should it be there?

Thank you for all the work! :) The Go button is huge.

13. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Just be patient for now. Thanks :)

14. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the hard work - I already like it much better than I did this morning!

15. purple skates

16. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Spoilers are coming :D

17. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Yay! :cheer2:

Is there any way to center or embiggen the Submit Reply and Preview Post buttons on the reply page?

18. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Added to my to do list, I'll see what I can do :D

19. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Yeah!! Thank you so much Server Guy!

Help please... I am stuck with mobile style on my phone, as the "full site" link (...styleid=25 or styleid=27) is currently broken with "404 not found" error. Android + Opera Mini. Same on Dolphin browser in mobile style, where there is no cache problem.

Strangely, browsing on PC in mobile style, the "full site" link works fine.

20. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Is the vBookie feature going to be restored? :bribe: :shuffle: :saint:

21. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Go button. Just what was needed.

22. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that when you hit reply to thread, you get taken to the quick reply area. Is that intentional or just something that needs to be fixed. I can live with it either way, but the reply to thread boxes were larger and you could your response without a lot of scrolling

23. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Me, too. I don't hate it anymore. :lol: :shuffle:

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

This was my only issue with the upgrade, but you've already fixed it!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much for all of your hard work. :)

25. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Thanks so much, Server Guy! Believe me, you’ll get plenty of feedback from this crowd! :lol: I kinda like the new look. Miss the little rep fart icon, but a magen David works for me! ;)

26. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Poor Server Guy! You have a lot of suggestions to work on. Thank you thank you for taking them all on with patience so that everyone can still feel at home with the 'renovation'. :)

27. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Thanks. :cool:

Could you also put "make the 'last unread' icon bigger" on that list? :)

28. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The Favicon doesn't appear to be working. (Unless you meant to get rid of the spy-skate critter)

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I notice that when you do an advanced search by username, you get the threads that they posted in years and years ago. You can sort by date and get a few newer posts, but definitely not all of their newer stuff.

And with newer users (someone who joined in the last two years or so??), when you search for their posts, nothing at all comes up. (I owe somebody some rep and I can't find them...)

P.S. I didn't like the new look at first, but I'm already fine with things now and I'm already forgetting how the board used to look. Great work! :respec:

30. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Sooo happy to see the FSU title back on the top! :rollin: