favourite TV Christmas episodes?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Sorry for yet another Christmas entertainment thread ... but this didn't seem to fit the other one.

What are your favourites? Not Christmas specials (Grinch, Charlie Brown, Frosty etc.) ... but Christmas episodes of regular TV series.

Thanks to my rather embarassing TV-on-DVD collection :shuffle: I watch some or all of these every year:

~ All the West Wing ones ("Holy Night" being my favourite, even if it's the least "Christmassy")
    ~ All Creatures Great and Small -- "Merry Gentlemen"
    ~ various M*A*S*H ones, favourite is "Death Takes a Holiday"
    ~ The Vicar of Dibley -- "The Christmas Lunch Incident"
    ~ Mr. Bean
    ~ Glee – “A Very Glee Christmas” (I stopped watching Glee ages ago but this ep. is still a winner IMO)
    ~ Studio 60 – “The Christmas Show” (I get goosebumps every time I hear that jazz rendition of "O Holy Night")
    ~ Sportsnight – “The Six Southern Gentlemen of Tennessee”
    ~ Doctor Who -- "A Christmas Carol" (and this year I plan on re-watching "The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe")

And I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering right now ...

2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

South Park -- "Woodland Critter Christmas"

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Friends: The One With The Holiday Armadillo
    ER: Blizzard
    My So-Called Life: So-Called Angels
    thirtysomething: I'll Be Home For Christmas

4. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

CSI:NY "Silent Night". Guest stars Marlee Matlin & Sasha Cohen!

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I don't have specific episodes to list but I do remember that Ally McBeal always had good holiday stories/episodes.

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i love all of the 30 rock xmas episodes with elaine stritch

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Touched By An Angel always had fantastic Christmas episodes, but my favourite was the one where they were trying to help out the Father come to terms w/not only his son being gay, but being gay and also suffering w/AIDS. He knew he was dying and wanted to have one last Christmas w/his Family. The Dad was also a Violin maker and on the Christmas of his son's birth, Tess had come to him w/a piece of wood to turn into a violin, only it had to him a flaw in the wood. Monica made him see that just like his son, that flaw wasn't a flaw at all and it ended up being turned into a Christmas tree.

It ends w/him being able to reconcile w/his son at the Hospice before his son passes away. Yes, it sounds hokey when you read that up there, but it wasn't and isn't hokey at all. At least not to me. I do have this on tape, I've got to try and transfer it to DVD, and watch it every year.

Along w/the first three West Wing Seasons of Christmas episodes. I only have the first three Seasons, so...The first one still gives me the chills and chokes me up when I watch it.

8. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Big Bang Theory - The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis

9. my little pony

not sure if it counts but i love christmas for the jews from SNL

10. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the title was just the first few minutes of WKRP in Cincinnati. Johnny Fever was on the air and he said he was going to play a song that really meant Christmas to him. And on came Jingle Bells by the Singing Dogs!!! :lol:

11. my little pony

how could i forget, the episode of seinfeld with festivus and the human fund

12. Simka

Simka Member

Roswell Season 2: A Roswell Christmas Carol.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  13. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Totally agree with those who mentioned The West Wing Christmas episodes. The first three are all amazing, but In Excelsis Deo might be my favourite episode of the entire series.

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

"Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way. The doll was destroyed, but out of this came a new holiday, 'a Festivus for the rest-of-us.'" ~Frank Costanza

:rofl: :rofl:

15. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I don't own it - but I remember really liking the Mary Tyler Moore episode where she gets stuck working on Christmas.

16. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

"The Family Guy" and "American Dad" have good x-mas episodes.

17. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

SNL skit...NPR with Alec Baldwin "Shweddy Balls"

18. znachki

znachki Active Member

This!

19. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I'm not sure if it is the Armadillo episode or not but the Friends Christmas episode where Joey and Chandler buy the gifts at the gas station was pretty funny.

Also love Seinfeld 'Festivus for the Rest of Us.' Just classic!

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Dragnet: the episode where Baby Jesus goes missing from the crèche at a poor local church and Joe Friday has to solve the robbery. I cry every time I watch it.

21. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Ditto! The final scene at Arlington Cemetery never fails to get me choked up. Here's the clip for anyone who has never seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLIH2UiPXg

For pure cheeseball, I have to admit I always loved the Brady Bunch episode where Cindy asks Santa to give her mother's voice back so that she can sing at church. I was pretty young and I coveted Cindy's red Christmas dress.