Favourite Junior World Championship win by lady

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sk8ingcoach, Jun 16, 2012.

?

Favourite JW winning skate

1. Miki Ando - 2004

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Mao Asada - 2005

56 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Yuna Kim - 2006

60 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Carolina Zhang - 2007

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. Rachael Flatt - 2008

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Alena Leonova - 2009

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  7. Kanako MUrakami - 2010

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. Adelina Sotnikova - 2011

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. Julia LIpnitskaya - 2012

26 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Which was your favourite Junior World Championship winning performance by a lady

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. sk8ingcoach

So hard to pick just one because there are so many good ones. However i voted Mao Asada because hers was the most brilliant. Honourable mention must go to Yuna, Lipnitskaya, adelina, and also rachael flatt

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I voted for Rachael Flatt and I'm not the only one ! lol
    I loved that program and she delivered something really strong and beautiful, IMO.

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I'd take YUna and Julia

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Julia Lipnitskaya

6. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

i like Mao's victory, but I prefer Julia's for the way she performed through out the year. Julia gave consistency a new meaning ..

7. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

8. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Thank you for the links! :)

Voted for Mao, but I loved Caroline, Adelina and Julia too.

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

She really did!!!

10. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I will always be a fan of Ann Patrice McDonough. Here is her junior world winning LP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0sLt2SmUy8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL93186EB2887122F4

AP absolutely deserved to win the year before, she lost to a Slutskaya wannabe who never went anywhere after that win. Kristina Oblasova, man it took some stretching to remember that name.

Always loved AP's stunning face and presence and skills on the ice. It is a shame she did not become more recognized. She was nearly perfection on the ice. And say what you will, I loved Julie's creations. The swan outfit was the only one I winced at, but Julie put AP out there dressed immaculately every time. It's a shame injuries derailed her.

ETA: Here is her brilliant SP. I always wondered who choreographed this SP. I've never seen Etude skated any better, it just was perfection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBRRA-5mF8

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

My actual favorite was Jenny Kirk's win. She certainly wasn't the one hyped and her win made me smile.

I also love AP's.

From the given list I voted for Caroline zhang.

12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It was incredible! Her level of consistency is amazing...best I've seen since the early years of Old Faithful aka Rachael Flatt. For a good two or three years Rachael was the model of consistency, turning in pretty much flawless skates on a regular basis. I've never been a fan of her skating but I admire that consistency b/c it takes a special kind of focus to skate a full program without error multiple times in a row.

Julia seems to have the focus and consistency, plus she has star power which will make her tough to beat if she can keep it up. My only hope is that she branches out in terms of choreographers. Hopefully she'll find someone better than Morosov who makes her do leg extensions in lieu of choreography. She has wonderful qualities about her but if she stays with him, I seriously doubt if we'll ever see them on full display. He'll keep giving her pedestrian choreography with ten leg extensions per routine (to no effect), zero relation to the music...basically the same COP tailored crap he's been putting out for the last few years. It will be a total waste...

She's still got growing to do so we'll have to see if that changes her jumps at all...

13. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Michelle Kwan is my #1 & then Jenny Kirk. Of the ones listed, Mao Asada.

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  14. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I was about to mention the Queen!

15. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I voted for Mao (loved that Boutique Fantastique program) but Rachael would be a close second and that's coming from a hater. She was so radiant and had a lightness at that competition that I've never seen again in her skating. I really think that if she had worked on her positions and skating skills more that she would have developed into a great artist.

16. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Yuna Kim.
    Her win right after 2006 Olympics served as an an early indicaton of what to come for next 4 years and result of next Olympics.

17. Michael O'C

Michael O'C Member

Thank you for this. I didn't see much of A-P but I thought that she had great potential. There have been a few of the girls who have looked to be on their way to the top with a Jr Worlds win but it just hasn't worked out. I just hope that A-P is happy with whatever she is doing now.

18. Alex Forrest

The early 2000s were strange in the US. So much talent, and so much of it fizzled. I was internet pals with a mother of a talented skater who early in those internet years was relentless against two of her daughter's main threats, those being Sasha Cohen and Ann Patrice McDonough. Not a peep about Hughes, Nikodinov, Wheat, Stellato. Just Sasha and AP. They were the 'threats'.

I suppose it was 2003 Nationals that I spent some time with Julie McDonough. We had met when AP won Jrs in 2000. I sat with her during many practices, and I'd heard the bad talk about her, and saw the creepy "You will skate" interview on Lifetime, so of course I found myself next to her to get the up close on her. Let me tell you, Julie was brimming with pride over her daughter, and I came away from Dallas thinking that this is a woman who absolutely loves her daughter and is proud to be her mother. I didn't have the inside scoop at ColSpgs so I can only tell you my impression. I didn't get 'crazy skate parent' from Julie. Danny Kwan? That's another story.

I'm only writing this because it does seem like such a loss when a talented junior just disappears. AP had her foot/ankle injury and it ended. But when I watch AP and especially her Etude Op.25 I am happy that she became the skater she did, she was one of the top five skaters on the PLANET in 02/03 in my opinion. She deserves recognition for her insane skills, her musicality, and her grit. It didn't work out, but hey, that's why people like me post her YT links to remind people. :)

19. Triple Butz

Thanks for sharing. It always disturbed me to see posts written about AP and her mom and how people were SURE that AP was miserable the entire time she skated and that her mom was wretched. The truth is, AP must have loved skating on some level and her mom was probably not nearly as bad as she was made out to be. As fans who have only a tiny window into their lives as we watch from our couches, we will never know the whole story. It reminds me of what was said about Caroline Zhang over the past few years and all the "she looks miserable and hates skating" talk. I was glad to see Caroline speak out in an icenetwork article and say that yes she was frustrated, but she always loved skating.

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Realizing how much untapped potential Rachael Flatt had always makes me feel a little disappointed for her. But whatever. I voted for hers. This was a time when she seemed like a truly brilliant up-and-comer.

21. Alex Forrest

When Flatt won her Jr World title, I think this was her at her peak and full potential, so it was nice to see her reach her peak and get the title. Ever since, I got the sense that she was fighting her body. A friend on FB just recently posted a pic with Rachael, and she looks like a healthy young woman, but not at all close to being a world class skater. It could have just been a bad shot, bad cut of her dress or that she was sitting too far back in her chair and everything just went sideways. But yeah, back then I was a fan of hers, and I thought she was royally screwed at Nationals that year, and the year before and so forth. So it was nice to see her take the title over I'm guessing Mirai and Caroline that year.

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Well what do you expect? Tom Zzzzz doesn't know how to make world champions.

23. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Junior Worlds seemed to have two strange periods. 1982-1987 and 96/97-2002/2003.

24. Amy03

Amy03 Member

deffinitly Mao Asada her victory was soo mesmering, a genius at the age of 15 doing 3A and 3-3 and performing every element flawless,gourges spins, beautifully extended spirals, unbelievable fast and diffecult steps, this performance was the biggest indication to kind of skater she is, and what the future she hold for her... hands down Mao Asada

25. sk8ingcoach

I thought Mao Asada's Junior worlds win was spectacular, with 3A and the whole program just flowed perfectly. Never seen a skater be so graceful at 15. Rachael was very strong i thought. Yuna was good, but i personally thought her program was a little boring ( although her jumps were good ). Adelina was good, but i think she has been out-shinned by Julia Lipnitskaya

26. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It's odd that of the 4 skating disciplines, only the ladies have not had a repeat winner at Junior Worlds. I think it's because it's rare that a girl wins, then is not old enough for senior Worlds next year.

27. Triple Butz

Not always, and sometimes they don't make their national world team as a senior. Many skaters have also done both Senior AND Junior worlds in the same season. Off the top of my head, Oblasova, Asada, Zhang, and Sotnikova have all come back to Jr Worlds after winning only to not repeat as champion.

28. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I voted for Lipnitskaya. She was simply amazing this season and I can't wait to see her develop.

29. invierno

invierno Member

I voted for Yuna.
    Usually when I watch Junior competitions, even the winners look mainly cute, lovely, sometimes vivacious, but still mostly juniorish. Not that it's bad, 'coz they are juniors.
    But Yuna's performances were very mature, lyrical and gorgeous. For me that really makes her stand out.

30. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Thanks for your story. I never jumped on the Julie McDonough hate band wagon, and now I'm glad I stood my ground, because my feeling is that it's all a little blown out of proportion.

I wish I could vote for Jenny Kirk in 2000, but instead I had to vote for Caroline Zhang in 2007. :)