Favorite US National Ladies champion in the post-Michelle Kwan era

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 12, 2013.

Your favorite US natonals ladies champion after Michelle Kwan's last US nationals?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2013.
  1. 2012 Ashley Wagner

33 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. 2011 Alissa Czisny

18 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 2010 Rachael Flatt

6 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. 2009 Alissa Czisny

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. 2008 Mirai Nagasu

24 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. 2007 Kimmie Meisner

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. 2006 Sasha Cohen

53 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I want this poll re-done after Nationals this year :) I'm not going to call the winner...but I'm sure as hell that the winning performance this year will be one to be remembered.

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

When Mirai wins, it will be fantastic.

3. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction, I forgot to add since Tara Lipinski that is, the youngest ever Olympic Champion, as well as US National Champion. Mirai is in good company. :) :cool:

4. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

That's kind of a sad commentary on the rest of the US ladies champs after Kwan.

In terms of pure skating ability, I don't think Cohen was as technically sound as either Kwan or Yamaguchi, but she actually improved a lot over the years, even after leaving competition. I always thought Kristi was an eminently watchable skater too, but I can see why folks enjoy watching Sasha. She really does have a "can't take your eyes off her" quality. It really stood out in the SOI duet she did with Czisney, doing the same moves. Almost without fail, Sasha's position was just a little bit prettier, her movement just a little smoother.

I voted for Cohen. My runner up favorite would be Nagasu, although it is kind of amazing how little she has accomplished with such a promising beginning. (I'm thinking more of her 2010 skates than her pre-pubescent National Title.)

5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Sasha won three World medals and an Olympic medal vs zero for the 2007-2012 gang. I don't think Sasha is anything to frown upon, and she brought new meaning and inspiration to skating between 2000-2006.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I did not say Yama was as consistent as Hughes & Kwan. I said she was more consistent than Hughes because Hughes did not even do triple jumps half the time. Kwan was more consistent than Kristi (read my post again). You are so convinced that Kristi was an inconsistent jumper that no logic is going to convince you.

7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Sasha's career is frowned upon since she blew the following opportunities to win major titles:

2003 Nationals
    2004 Nationals
    2004 Worlds
    2005 Worlds
    2006 Olympics
    2006 Worlds

She had a fine career but it was much less than it could have been or should have been. I could add 2000 Nationals and 2002 Olympics but I wouldnt as she was really too new in both cases to be expected to deliver perfectly and win with the unexpected opportunity, and she only had the opportunity to because of others mistakes anyway. Then again I often put her inconsistency and inability to skate clean programs down to her poor jump technique, derived from poor basic skating, which are her only two real weaknesses, but which made it hard to cleanly land all her jumps in a long program. I dont think it was as simple as a focus problem as many put it down to.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sasha was so talented, and the expectations of her were very high. She did accomplish a lot in her career, but it was less than what she could have. That's why sometimes she is seen as somewhat of a disappointment. I don't believe she needed a perfect (jumpwise) program to win; something close would have been good enough. However, she competed in an era where a skater who was a model of consistency and competitiveness- Michelle Kwan. That was her misfortune; she could not rise to the level needed to beat Kwan.

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Not just a question of consistency and competitiveness, IMO, if Sasha Cohen didn't beat Michelle Kwan that often. :)

10. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Sasha for sure out of this group, but I also think of her more as Kwan-era, or tail end of the 'Golden Age', rather than 'Lean Years'. I think of her as the last of the great US ladies, ending the incredible long run of World/Olympic medalists (and entering an unbearably long dry spell).

I don't think there's another US skater of that caliber since then, but I loved Mirai's Olympic performance, and the great strides Ashley has made these last 2 seasons.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Sasha brought much to the sport that is unique to her and should not be forgotten. But, her delicacy on the ice has morphed into something that suggests something more like weakness to me. It's not just about her lack of consistency. Her jump landings to me pretty much ruin the beauty she has on the ice. Her landings are weak and rarely are on a clean flowing edge. Sadly it sucks all the conviction out of her skating IMHO. I have had the same problem over the years with Mao. I also don't think she has the heart of a champion, so in an athletic discipline, I can't vote for her. (I'd pay to watch her show skate over any lady on the list, though!)

I think Mirai could have been it with her appealing combo of spirit and ability, but her star never continued to rise.

I have always been into Ashley and with her recent Nats win she gets my vote. Although she's a little more generic than the others I think she has the soul of a champion and is a real threat for world and olympic gold. She has it all...just needs to put it together when it counts.