Favorite Rachmaninoff performances on ice

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Rachmaninoff is one of the most popular composers when it comes to FS, and there have been many great performances skated to his music. I had to limit my list to 12 (I tried limiting it to 10, but it did not work:) )

Without ranking
    , here are my favorite FS performances skated to Rachamninoff's music:

1.Gordeeva-Grinkov: Vocalise (95 pro)

2.Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze- Elegy (98 ex)

3.Chen Lu- Rach 2 (96 LP)

4.Michelle Kwan -Rach 3 (98 SP)

5.Mishkutenok-Dmitriev- Rach 2(94 Oly LP)

6.Midori Ito- Rach 1 & 3 (?)- 92 Oly LP

7.Alexander Abt- Rach 2 & 3 (2000 Euro)

8.Totmianina-Marinin: On a theme by Paganini (2004 SP)

9.Jeffrey Buttle- Prelude in C-sharp minor Op 3-2 (2005 worlds)

10.Daisuke Takahashi- Rach 2 LP (2005? SA)

11. Ekaterina Gordeeva- Elegy (96? Pro): one of my favorite singles programs by Katia. Her emotions in it made me cry.

12.Stephane Lambiel- Not sure of the event, year or venue but the music is Rachmaninoff's Prelude n G minor, Op.23, No.5

Honorable mentions:

Sale & Pelletier - Orchid LP 2002 (when skated well)
    Sasha Cohen- 2003(?) LP

You Tube:

Famous skaters -Rachmaninoff on ice: Part I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPRCGM8lPM&feature=related

Part II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Vd-2DTU1g

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

1. Robin Cousins, 1991 World Pros TP (Rach 2)
    1. Chen Lu, 1996 Worlds LP (Rach 2)
    3. Michelle Kwan, 1998 Ultimate Four SP (2nd Piano Trio; Rach 3 finale)
    4. Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, 1994 Olympics LP (Rach 2)
    5. Sarah Hughes, 2001 Skate America LP (Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Rach 2)
    6. Mao Asada, 2010 Worlds LP ("Bells of Moscow")
    7. John Curry, 1976 Olympics SP (Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini)
    8. Rachael Flatt, 2010 Olympics LP (ditto)

I still haven't seen Buttle's Prelude in C sharp minor program, so I'd better stop right now...

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Vash01

BTW Lambiel's program in my list was a show skate, skated to Rachmaninoff's Prelude n G minor, Op.23, No.5. It is in the part II YT link above, toward the end.

The link below has the performance by itself. He has grown into a really great artist on ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_e107VkL0&feature=youtu.be

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Chen Lu's Rach 2 is my favorite skate of all time. I love it so much.

5. Vash01

Here it is. I love her maturity, her expression, her musical interpretation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCRaoNfU0r8

6. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

M&D, Kwan, and Chen top my list. I also think S&P's program was a gem, and I wish they'd stuck with it long enough to realize its potential.

Pierre and (deleted member) like this.
  7. luCN

luCN New Member

love all the programs above,especially Abt and Kwan~

and I think Denis Ten's 2009 Worlds LP is good too,although he's very young then ~

8. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Mishkutenok/Dmitriev's is my favorite (love their straight line step sequence), so powerful. I love Robin Cousin's too, especially the slide spiral. I really liked Adam Rippon's, which had very similar cuts to Mishkutenok/Dmitriev's. I wish he'd made it to Worlds so we could've seen that.

Have any ice dancers used Rach 2?

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Lu Chen 1996 LP and Mishkutienok&Dmitriev 1994 LP.

Then, I discovered it later, but Robin Cousins had a very beautiful program to Rach. :)

10. Vash01

I have never seen Robin Cousins skate to Rach. I hope it's on YT. I will look for it tonight.

11. Amy03

Amy03 Member

My is undoubtly Mao Asada's 2010 fs "Bells of Moscow" love the intensity, and her attack and of course her elegant movement and beautiful posture as well as how beautifully she executes every element...

Pierre and (deleted member) like this.
  12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Here it is:

Robin Cousins "Rachmaninov Concerto No.2" 1991

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pvHxrINtI

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

14. bartek

bartek New Member

Lower quality and less complex non-jump elements (spins in particular) than Slutskaya, Cohen and Arakawa? Boring free skate with no choreography and connection to the music? No difficult transitions between elements? Skating skills great but Slutskaya and Arakawa had them too. This is possibly one of the worst Rachmaninoff prorams in terms of choreography... How could Lori have created this piece of nothing?

15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Gordeeva/Grinkov's "Vocalise" for me. I rewatch it often. Perfection.
    But all the programs iun the initial post are great classics.
    I love what Lambiel did with the Prelude in G minor.
    Buttle's "95 SP is fabulous.
    Abt's Rach 3 is a great tribute to lyricism (except it's 2002:)) http://youtu.be/qiYM7IuFbog
    Thanks for the thread!
    I actually think Rachmainov is a bit underused- there is plently of music there which is perfect for skating and not used.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  16. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Chen's is my favourite. :swoon:

17. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

ehhhhh....

So my posting name is actually a head nod to this subject matter, so I simply must weigh in:

1. M/D. They were the only ones to bring a beautiful darkness and passion to the music that others chose not to tap in to.

2. Chen. If her spins weren't so distractingly short I might have called this the best thing I've ever seen on skates.

3. Cousins. Straight back and good tension in his body but still let his limbs feel the music. Amazing speed that heightens the drama of the music. So important to skate fast to slow music.

4. Buttle. Would have been even better if his interpretation had a bit more intensity. Excellent use of each phrase of the music.

5. Suguri. Speed and flow like cousins and also unafraid to engage her face in the performance. A great separator. Line not so good though but otherwise very beautiful.

18. Vash01

I can't believe I forgot this- Naomi Nari Nam at 1999 US nationals (LP) skating to Rachmaninoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7EEHAM6nU

The middle section is Rondo Capricioso, but rest of the program is skated to Rachmaninoff. She was such an amazing talent!

19. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Chen Lu's 1996 LP was the highlight of the WC that year and remains one of my all-time favourite skating performances.

I'm a G&G uber, and their Vocalise is also on my all-time favourite performance list, and I remember being so profoundly moved by Katia's elegy.

Other favourites are Buttle's Prelude and Michelle's Rach 3 SP--an extremely difficult piece of music to interpret, and she nailed it.

20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I remember that! and yes, she was! thanks for another great thread!

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I had forgotten how wonderful that program was.
    It's a great shame that injury curtailed her career; NNN really had that special "something".

22. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Chen Lu's was awesome

23. crs

crs New Member

absolutely and M/D:respec:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I agree, I just adore their dark interpretation of it and wish other skaters would try something similar. There is a video somewhere with Dick Button gushing over it and them.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I know! Especially after Lori gave her that excellent Carmen Fantasy LP the year prior and a great Latin SP the same year she choreographed that bore of a LP. I never understood how Suguri settled for that LP in Torino. However, I did love her dress in Torino.

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This ! :40beers:

27. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you for this idea and your great list, Vash01. I am really glad that I was completely wrong about your attitude towards the artistic aspect of skating :).

Also thanks to falling_dance.

I have to admit that I either hadn't seen, or had forgotten most of those programs. I started to really get into figure skating just a few years ago - watching it on TV just from 2005 (I had no TV for five years prior to 2005, and had watched figure skating very superficially before that). I have watched older performances on Youtube, of course, but there's still so much that I haven't seen. So, thanks once again for pointing out those great performances. I have watched (or, in some cases, rewatched) them only once for now, so it's hard to make a real top. It's also difficult to compare competition programs with exhibition programs, as well as older programs with newer ones. But currently my favourites (in no particular order) are Chen Lu, Robin Cousins, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, Gordeeva with her 'Elegy', Sale/Pelletier (even when not performed very well :)) and Lambiel (of course - I try to be objective when it comes to him, but it's not easy). Some of the others are close, though.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find Cohen's program. And I only found a video of Gordeeva's 'Elegy' at German 'Stars on Ice' in 1997 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7eyPTDWHg.

As for Lambiel's 'Prelude in G minor', that certainly is not the best video of it (bad angles - especially on the spins, far-off views at the wrong moments, and so on). Better try watching this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z9qwo71-IQ&feature=related, or this (without the annoying commentary) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQnJnL_1PX4&feature=related.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  28. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm partial to Sasha's (though I haven't seen many of the others). I loved the way she'd draw herself up and glare at the ice right before the footwork section. :)

29. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Definitely my favorite. Probably Sandra Bezic's best choreography.

30. Vash01

No problem (about the artistic stuff).

I can't believe I forgot 'Elegy'! I loved Katia's with her emotions, particularly. However, my most favorite 'Elegy' skate is by B&S at the 1998 exhibition (also at the 1997 European exhibitions). It was so pure, elegant, beautiful that Dick Button exclaimed- :"This is what skating is about!" I will look for the YT link for this and for Sasha's Rach2 LP also.