Favorite opening choreography in a program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by iceberg08, Jul 5, 2011.

1. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

Performances that captivate the audience from the very first second are few and far between. What comes to my mind at the moment is Anissina and Pezeirat's 'Romeo and Juliet' - the drama, passion and emotion all conveyed in movement. I remember being so enamored by it when I saw it as a kid. I really miss this kind of free dance.

I also love Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze's 'Lady Caliph' short program. The connection between the two skaters was very much palpable. Lu Chen's 'Spring Breeze' was delightful as well, reminding me that sometimes the most simple of things can be the most beautiful. She exuded eleganceon ice.

Fumie Suguri's 'Moonlight Sonata' had brilliant choreography - the two Ina Bauers at the beginning really set the mood for the whole program. Miki Ando's 'Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence' had nice choreographic touches to it as well that were really effective. It remains to be my favorite short program of hers. Most recently, Midori Ito's performance to 'Whisper of the River' in Oberstdorf was such a delight to see - I felt honored to be able to watch it (even just on youtube). The joy in her skating has never faded even after all these years.

What is your favorite opening choreography in a program?

2. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Denkova/Staviski Seven Deadly Sins and G/P Arabian FD 97.

3. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Chen's Last Emperor LP and Giunchi's Bolero LP.

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

MK's debut of Bolero at the cheezefest. I loved the flirtiness of the opening few seconds; It was something that she had not done before in her previous competitive programs.

5. sunnysun

sunnysun New Member

Yu-Na Kim's "Danse Macabre"

She started with a stone face then begin to move her head with the music bits, perfect interpretation for the music.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The program that immediately springs to mind is Yagudin's Revolutionary Etude SP. He starts in a pose like this, completely still, and then as the music begins, he starts rotating ... but with no apparent effort. A real demonstration of his power on the ice, and the precision with which he used his entire body when he skated. Miss him. :(

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  7. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Let's see...

I really like Michelle's openings to several programs...geez, there really are too many. Her opening to Taj Mahal was fabulous. That opening move was perfection and then the spiral to the spin and the move coming out of the spin, right with the music. Amazing! I love the opening to Fields of Gold. The sweeping movements and the spiral...simply divine! I loved the opening to Salome too...really set the tone for the program. And finally (before I name every program she's ever done) I'll say the opening to East of Eden (2000). The opening move is very gentle, extended and matches the music so well...

Moving on, I like the opening to Sasha's Carmen program. The spiral, kick, spiral without dropping it down...very strong impression right out the gate. I love Yu-Na's opening to Danse Macabre. It fits perfectly with the music and sets the tone well. Mao's opening to Ballade is exquisite. The gentleness of the opening spirals...no other word to describe it but exquisite.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

9. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Second this, and Delobel/Schoenfelder's Piano.:swoon:

10. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Honestly I think one of the main reasons I liked Michelle Kwan were the opening moments of her programs. They always had impact and went with the music so well. My favorite would be Ariane but I would vote for them all if I could. Taj, Romanza, Carmen, Tosca.. etc ALL of them!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Paul Wylie's olympic program

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

B&S's 'Meadowland' Sp had a commanding starting position and the program was filled with power right from the word go.

I also liked their opening of 'Meditation from Thais' LP. There was a far away look in their faces as they started, then gained speed and went into the sbs triple jumps in perfect unison.

13. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Rach!

14. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Also A/P The Man In The Iron Mask.

15. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Yup! One program I wish I could have seen live.

16. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Lu Chen's 1997 SP to Take Five!

17. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Joannie Rochette's Concierto de Aranjuez

18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I love the opening to Sasha's Rach #2.

19. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

Stephane Lambiel - Carne Cruda

Torvill & Dean - Bolero

The first seconds in both performances are iconic

I loved the opening in khokhlova-novitski 2008 OD and FD (good times *sigh*)

And a special mention to the hottest opening: Voir Latin FD :D

20. zigzig

zigzig Active Member

I have to echo the sentiments to Michelle Kwan's impactful openings, Taj especially. I loved the way her eyes opened right on cue with the music - it's like a statue coming to life! Absolutely magical.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yes, that packed a punch.

And iceberg, when I saw this thread title, I totally thought about Fumie's Moonlight Sonata.

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Just lovely :)

Beautiful - I'd love to see more of this Mao this season :)

My favourite (or most memorable) - Torvill & Dean, Bolero.

24. Amy03

Amy03 Member

25. Nan

Nan Just me

26. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I agree, one of my favorite female gala programs ever.:smokin:

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

28. briancoogaert

Oh yes ! I love this one !

29. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

yuna's 007 medly!

the opening pose just tells what she's gonna do in her program even without the knowledge of her music choice. so hot!

G/P's Memorial is also my favorite. I just fell in love with this program with the start note of their performance.

Chan's Tango de los Exilados, too! But it's rather about his facial expression when the music starts. That was so mesmerizing for me. (olympic performance I'm talking)

30. briancoogaert

This one is also interesting : G&P 1997 Euros FD-The feeling begins