Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Aug 22, 2012.

?

Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady, starting in 1988?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2012.
  1. Mao Asada (2010)

35 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Sasha Cohen (2006)

30 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Irina Slutskaya (2002)

19 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Michelle Kwan (1998)

130 vote(s)
    45.9%
  5. Nancy Kerrigan (1994)

12 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Midori Ito (1992)

19 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Liz manley (1988)

38 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I really don't agree. It was a huge accomplishment for her to land 3 3axels and I applaud her for that, but she really only had 4 clean triples total, and did not had no 3sal, 3toe, or 3lutz. Landing triple axels does not make up for a complete lack of three other types of triples IMO. She did, of course, plan a 3toe but as we know it never even got off the ground.
  2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If I had to guess this is how Mao would have done in other years:

1992- I think she would have won. Kristi wasnt great that night, Midori with only 1 triple axel and no triple lutz probably would have won the LP had she not been 4th in the short.

1994- Would have won.

1998- Would have probably been 3rd. I dont see either Tara or Michelle that night beaten by a performance with 2 major mistakes.

2002- Would have won. Hughes lost votes to all of Slutskaya, Kwan, and Cohen that night even with their problems, simpler jumps, and her out of skin skate. 2 triple axels even with a couple misses would have put someone over her as she was not a popular choice even with the judges.

2006- If we factor in SP would have won. May have lost LP to Shizuka under COP.

So I actually almost agree, I think she would have won any other Olympics besides 1998 with her performances in Vancouver.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

I would have agreed with this but then I think about Carolina Kostner at Worlds this year.... She won without lutz because she had the great components, good spins and good GOEs.

Yes Mao didn't get great GOEs on some elements in the program but I still think the 3As she performed and also her PCs from that performance at Olympics would have been enough any other year to overcome the fact that she didn't perform most triples.... If not, then how did she even get second in Vancouver?
  4. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

hmmmm, I'm now starting to doubt myself, but I always thought she 2-footed her triple loop. Did she or is it just a deceiving camera angle?
  5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I will have to watch the tape again; it was so long ago!
  6. Amy03

Amy03 Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  7. inskate

inskate Active Member

She actually had pretty excellent GoEs on non-jump elements - she earned 42.9 points for them (SP+LP), while YuNa got 42.5. It's the jumps (esp. toe jumps) that were the problem. Still, I'm quite impressed by her performance, especially after watching the documentary about TAT and Mao that was released a few months after Olympics. The documentary was mostly about TAT's choreo, but in the background you could see Mao practising her jumps thorough the Olympic season, and when she had a minor growth spurt early in the season, her 3F/3Lz went completely AWOL. Almost all of the jumps she attempted were wonky 3Fs, and if I'd watched the clips before the Oly's, I'd be freaking out :yikes: that she'll splat on them in her programs (and possibly other jumps, seeing as she didn't seem to have time to practise them much).
  8. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

I am not saying her performance wasn't good. I also said some of her elements....meaning the toe and the Flip combo she did.

I think she should win this poll hands down. I am in her favour. Read my earlier comments. Someone commented saying that she shouldn't win this because she didn't complete all the triple jumps and had mistakes, I am saying that even with the mistakes and the lack of completing all the triples the rest of her skating makes up for it so she could have won the Olympics any other year and should win this poll.
  9. inskate

inskate Active Member

Sorry, I didn't meant my post to sound like I was disagreeing with you. :) I just wanted to elabrate on that one particular point (GoEs, esp. on non-jump elements), because I've seen posts either saying that Mao was underscored in that area, or that her performance was just about 3A and jumps, when in reality her non-jump elements were scored very high. :)
  10. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan New Member

11. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I loved her musicality, costumes, and running combinations. :swoon:
  12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Her quad was pretty awesome, too.
  13. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

But that damn triple flip...:wuzrobbed
  14. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Although I am usually the last person to vote for Kwan, I had to on this one. Her Olympic silver was as close to Olympic gold as u can get.

I love Midori, but she was just not mentally prepared at Olympics and it showed in her performance. I wish she had skated flawless because it would have been probably the best Olympic ladies lp ever

Asada was good also, but it had flaws. If she were flawless, she still wouldn't have beat Kim but it would have been a nice battle between the two

Manley was good, if it weren't for figures. Katarina Witt was artistically good, but technically was very weak
  15. query5

query5 New Member

michelle should have won in 1998, enough said,
    favorite.
  16. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

she did 2-ft her triple loop. Witt and Thomas also did that often, I don't remember whether they did it there.
  17. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Very well put! That was the reason I gave to Manley my vote and not to Kwan who was way too tentative.
  18. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Michele's was a beautiful performance but coming right after Philadelphia, it is actually almost more heartbreaking.

I voted for Liz Manley's. The unbridled JOY from every aspect of her skate and the moments of triumph in front of home country fans (yes, the silver medal is a huuge triumph in my opinion at the Olympics) make it my favorite.
  19. t.mann

t.mann New Member

20. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Kwan's 1998 LP was one of the most beautiful programs ever done. None of the other choices even come close. That LP could have beaten many of ladies Olympic golds medalists.
  21. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I thought Kwan's performance was awesome. I don't blame her for the disappointment, since the placements were so controversial. But it's nice to see happy tears on the podium instead of devastated tears.

I liked that Chen Lu was emotional about the bronze that year because she had overcome so many obstacles. You don't see that too often. Usually it's the favorite who "just missed out" and their dreams are crushed. It's not really gratifying to watch something like that, as a fan.
  22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Kwan and Manley had really good silver medal performances.

I gave my vote to Nancy Kerrigan, who really did have a "perfect" skate. Her only mistake was a doubled flip, but it was a very good jump. And she had a clean triple-triple and landed all the other triples. She also had decent spins and, even if one didn't love her choreography, she was very polished and "on."

Plus, I think she really was robbed of the gold medal.
  23. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I picked Liz Manley cause the thread title asked for favorite, not best. Her performance is memorable because it was the performance of her life, and she was having the time of her life. With all the attention focused on Debi and Katarina, Liz managed to slip in there and nearly take it all. In fact, I was hoping she would. I was disappointed in Debi's crumbling under pressure, and I didn't care for Katarina's pompous attitiude. Liz is what made that Olympics memorable. IIRC, she overcame some pretty serious personal problems to get where she was, which made it even all the more memorable.

There may have been better, more technically proficient silver medal performaces (as have been mentioned in this thread), but by far Liz Manley's is my favorite one.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Oh, Kerrigan was absolutely robbed of the OGM, I totally agree.
  25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

ITA
  26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Was it controversial that Kwan placed 2nd in Nagano? CBS showed Danny Kwan in the stands after Tara finished her LP. He was clearly worried, so he knew then that Tara possibly delivered a gold medal performance.
  27. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I agree too, even though I voted for Michelle's performance to win this poll.
  28. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It was not controversial in the way that nobody really considered she was robbed. But it was so close it could have been either way. I mean, nobody would have said Tara was robbed if Michelle had won the Gold. ;)
  29. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

In this poll, I voted for the lovely and talented Michelle Kwan. I loved her program, Lyra Angelica. :)
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  30. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Michelle landed 7 triples and received all 5.9's for the 2nd mark. Had any other silver medalist in singles skating done that? I hate when I read she was tentative, dropped the ball, etc. She skated awesome-17 years old with all that pressure on her shoulders. The performance did not have the magic of Philadelphia. That was the only thing missing and unfortunatly, (or fortunatly LOL whoever you are) Tara had the skate of her life. Tara was probably a tad more motivated in the way that she wanted to prove everyone wrong where Kwan was skating in 1st place after the SP as the overwhelming favorite and pretty much anointed gold medalist before the competiton had started. Some of Michelle's greatest performances were when she was trying to shut doubters up. (2000 and 2001 worlds, 2003 entire season, 2004 nationals). It's a great motivator and worked in Tara's favor very much.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.