Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Aug 22, 2012.

Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady, starting in 1988?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2012.
  1. Mao Asada (2010)

35 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Sasha Cohen (2006)

30 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Irina Slutskaya (2002)

19 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Michelle Kwan (1998)

130 vote(s)
    45.9%
  5. Nancy Kerrigan (1994)

12 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Midori Ito (1992)

19 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Liz manley (1988)

38 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Liz did not make a mistake. Midori did, but as you wrote, her 3A after the 3 min mark was a moment I will never forget. That as in 1992. A lady did not land a 3A in the Olympics until 18 years later (Mao Asada). That tells us how special that was.

2. Skater91

Skater91 Member

Mao should win this hands down.

3. Amy03

Amy03 Member

I totally agree, i think Mao's performance is the best olympics performance in figure skating history.... it has everything from technical difficulty to great artistry... i remember when i watched the 2010 olympics, i wasn't interestet in skating at that time, but the only memorable performance that simply didn't leave me, was Mao i just was sooooo amazed by her programs that her name just stuck in my head many days after, at the end i couldn't take it and began reading about her and watched all her previous performances... and it was thanks to her performances that i became interestet in figure skating, and actually love figure skating more then any other sport now.

and through i have watched most previous medalist at the womans olympics, it just never really gasped or gave the same amazement wow-factor that I get when i watched Mao that day, and that is why my absolute favourite program is Mao's stunning olympic performances!

4. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

5. Vash01

Since this is a thread about Olympic silver medal, it HAS to be 2006. I never referred to her 2002 performance in this thread.

6. Vash01

Thank you for sharing this. I agree that Mao skated beautifully, and with the two 3A's it had the technical difficulty too. I was not thrilled with her choice of music, but I have always loved her skating.

7. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Nope, it was 2002. Read the quote you referenced. The poster was comparing Slute's Tosca freeskate to Hughes, Cohen, etc. Or at least it did until she edited it. :lol:

8. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

But you were quoting and commenting on a series of posts that were ONLY about 2002, and as you didn't date any of your opinions, it sounds like you are also only taking about 2002. This is the conversation you responded to:

Your response:

It sounds like, in the first half of your response, you are also talking about 2002. And this someone corrected you about Cohen's mistakes in 2002. If you don't want confusion, then you should be clear about what you're talking about, because honestly, even reading it now I could only figure out about half the performances you're meaning to reference. Irina in 2002 or 2006? Kwan in 1998 or 2002? Suguri in 2002 or 2006?

9. Vash01

OK, I get it. i am an idiot and should never start a thread or post on one.:mad:

10. michiruwater

Yes, of course that is exactly what I meant.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I really don't agree. It was a huge accomplishment for her to land 3 3axels and I applaud her for that, but she really only had 4 clean triples total, and did not had no 3sal, 3toe, or 3lutz. Landing triple axels does not make up for a complete lack of three other types of triples IMO. She did, of course, plan a 3toe but as we know it never even got off the ground.

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If I had to guess this is how Mao would have done in other years:

1992- I think she would have won. Kristi wasnt great that night, Midori with only 1 triple axel and no triple lutz probably would have won the LP had she not been 4th in the short.

1994- Would have won.

1998- Would have probably been 3rd. I dont see either Tara or Michelle that night beaten by a performance with 2 major mistakes.

2002- Would have won. Hughes lost votes to all of Slutskaya, Kwan, and Cohen that night even with their problems, simpler jumps, and her out of skin skate. 2 triple axels even with a couple misses would have put someone over her as she was not a popular choice even with the judges.

2006- If we factor in SP would have won. May have lost LP to Shizuka under COP.

So I actually almost agree, I think she would have won any other Olympics besides 1998 with her performances in Vancouver.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Skater91

Skater91 Member

I would have agreed with this but then I think about Carolina Kostner at Worlds this year.... She won without lutz because she had the great components, good spins and good GOEs.

Yes Mao didn't get great GOEs on some elements in the program but I still think the 3As she performed and also her PCs from that performance at Olympics would have been enough any other year to overcome the fact that she didn't perform most triples.... If not, then how did she even get second in Vancouver?

14. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

hmmmm, I'm now starting to doubt myself, but I always thought she 2-footed her triple loop. Did she or is it just a deceiving camera angle?

15. Vash01

I will have to watch the tape again; it was so long ago!

16. Amy03

Amy03 Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  17. inskate

inskate Active Member

She actually had pretty excellent GoEs on non-jump elements - she earned 42.9 points for them (SP+LP), while YuNa got 42.5. It's the jumps (esp. toe jumps) that were the problem. Still, I'm quite impressed by her performance, especially after watching the documentary about TAT and Mao that was released a few months after Olympics. The documentary was mostly about TAT's choreo, but in the background you could see Mao practising her jumps thorough the Olympic season, and when she had a minor growth spurt early in the season, her 3F/3Lz went completely AWOL. Almost all of the jumps she attempted were wonky 3Fs, and if I'd watched the clips before the Oly's, I'd be freaking out :yikes: that she'll splat on them in her programs (and possibly other jumps, seeing as she didn't seem to have time to practise them much).

18. Skater91

Skater91 Member

I am not saying her performance wasn't good. I also said some of her elements....meaning the toe and the Flip combo she did.

I think she should win this poll hands down. I am in her favour. Read my earlier comments. Someone commented saying that she shouldn't win this because she didn't complete all the triple jumps and had mistakes, I am saying that even with the mistakes and the lack of completing all the triples the rest of her skating makes up for it so she could have won the Olympics any other year and should win this poll.

19. inskate

inskate Active Member

Sorry, I didn't meant my post to sound like I was disagreeing with you. :) I just wanted to elabrate on that one particular point (GoEs, esp. on non-jump elements), because I've seen posts either saying that Mao was underscored in that area, or that her performance was just about 3A and jumps, when in reality her non-jump elements were scored very high. :)

20. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

Purple.

21. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

I loved her musicality, costumes, and running combinations. :swoon:

22. michiruwater

Her quad was pretty awesome, too.

23. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

But that damn triple flip...:wuzrobbed

24. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Although I am usually the last person to vote for Kwan, I had to on this one. Her Olympic silver was as close to Olympic gold as u can get.

I love Midori, but she was just not mentally prepared at Olympics and it showed in her performance. I wish she had skated flawless because it would have been probably the best Olympic ladies lp ever

Asada was good also, but it had flaws. If she were flawless, she still wouldn't have beat Kim but it would have been a nice battle between the two

Manley was good, if it weren't for figures. Katarina Witt was artistically good, but technically was very weak

25. query5

query5 New Member

michelle should have won in 1998, enough said,
    favorite.

26. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

she did 2-ft her triple loop. Witt and Thomas also did that often, I don't remember whether they did it there.

27. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Very well put! That was the reason I gave to Manley my vote and not to Kwan who was way too tentative.

28. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Michele's was a beautiful performance but coming right after Philadelphia, it is actually almost more heartbreaking.

I voted for Liz Manley's. The unbridled JOY from every aspect of her skate and the moments of triumph in front of home country fans (yes, the silver medal is a huuge triumph in my opinion at the Olympics) make it my favorite.

29. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Kwan.

30. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Kwan's 1998 LP was one of the most beautiful programs ever done. None of the other choices even come close. That LP could have beaten many of ladies Olympic golds medalists.