Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Aug 22, 2012.

?

Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady, starting in 1988?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2012.
  1. Mao Asada (2010)

35 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Sasha Cohen (2006)

30 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Irina Slutskaya (2002)

19 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Michelle Kwan (1998)

130 vote(s)
    45.9%
  5. Nancy Kerrigan (1994)

12 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Midori Ito (1992)

19 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Liz manley (1988)

38 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

What was the best Olympic silver medal performance by a lady, in your opinion and why?
  2. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Michelle Kwan, 1998 Olympics - beautiful, difficult, just barely too tentative compared to Tara - IMHO would have won any other Olympic Ladies' competition.

(I mean, what do you expect me to say?)
  3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I voted for Kerrigan not since I really felt it was the best (although it might have been top 3 on that list) but because it was such a huge victory for her to perform a long program that strong given her history, and also given the infamous events leading up to the Games.

Manley would be a close 2nd for the same reasons.
  4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

It was between Kwan and Kerrigan for me, but ended up choosing Kwan because her performances in Nagano would have easily made her the OMG in 1994, Kerrigan was also good, but not as intriguing. These two are the only ones that didn't have falls or other big mistakes.
    VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. judgejudy27

It definitely should have but you never know with the judges. Most everyone thought Kerrigan had beaten Baiul for the OGM that year and the judges shocked everyone, and some though Michelle had beaten Tara for the OGM in 1998 too. :lol:
  6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

For me it came down to Michelle vs. Mao vs. Midori and I voted for Mao (even though I agree that Michelle's performance was good enough to win OGM in 98).

Midori had one fall, but it was a gutsy performance. It took courage to even attempt that second 3A in her LP.

Mao skated really well. In any other year her performance would have been good enough for an OGM.

(Note: I knew that Michelle will get most of the votes, so I did not need to vote for her :lol:).
  7. judgejudy27

It would be interesting to switch Michelle's 98 and Mao's 2010 performances into the other competition and see who would have done better. Would Mao with her 2 triple axels and arguably superior artistry have beaten Tara even with her 2 mistakes? Kwan would have obviously lost to Kim in 2010, but would it have been by a lesser or larger margin than Mao did?
  8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Liz Manley because she is the only one HAPPY TO HAVE the silver medal and was not a "favorite" who faltered. She was an underdog who did way better than she expected, and it showed in her personality.

Everyone else (not sure about Ito - don't remember) was either royally pissed off or at least very disappointed with their silver medals.
  9. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Mao made history with the 2 triple axels, but I don't agree her performance would have been good enough for gold any other year. Maybe in 1992? But even then I think is questionable. Kristi still would have won IMO.

Without a doubt Michelle had the best silver medal performance and probably will hold that distinction for a very long time. Her Lyra program will stand the test of time for many, many years unlike the other silver medalists.

The other performances upon re-watch just look cheesy and outdated- Kerrigan and Manley, or just plain bad- Slutskaya.

I'd say Cohen's is the 2nd best since everything but the 2 huge mistakes in the beginning was sublime.

Kerrigan's is probably the next best but again, the program almost 20 years later just looks outdated and nothing special.
  10. Laney

Laney Member

Irina. I still think she should have won in 2002...
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Are you being sarcastic? Her performance was the worst among her, Hughes, Kwan, Cohen, and even Suguri.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Choreographically and artistically, Cohen, the two falls notwithstanding. :lol: I'm surprised I'm not the only one to vote that way!
  13. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

That's niiiiice... :shuffle:

If Nancy K.'s performance looks "cheesy", Oksana Bauil's performance looks like something from "Toddlers and Tiaras" in comparison (including that horrible costume). :eek:

I would have had Bauil no higher than third behind Nancy K. and Chen Lu.
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I disagree. None of them skated great. Cohen with two huge mistakes, Kwan with one huge mistake and one small mistake, and Hughes with her ur jumps (but big smile) and lack of maturity in her skating, were all about equal with Irina's skate. The only thing is it was one of Irina's worst skates upto that point (not counting her struggling year '99). Suguri may have skated well, but she was not in contention for 1st or 2nd place, so it's hard to compare her with others. Kwan & Slute were about even- imperfect. IMO Hughes wasn't even in the same league maturity wise. She had a clean performance, that's all. I would say Cohen had the worst performance of the group you mentioned, and she won the silver only because Irina had a melt down in 2006.
  15. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Seriously, no Liz Manley? When I think of all the silver medal performances I've watched more than ten times, I always go back to Liz Manley. The performance of her life, and the right time to do it.

I know people are going to say Kwan, but after Philadelphia, she wasn't going to repeat it. Way too tentative.

Liz Manley by a mile, and I'm going to YT her just to watch it right now. Her lutz was dead on. Much better than Kwan's flutz by a mile.
  16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan, 1998, because it was so good, they could have given out two golds at that event and I would have been pleased. Elizabeth Manley's was close, since it was so joyous and exuberant. I also think if it had been judged on the FS alone, the 1988 Olympics could have gone either way (Katarina or Liz).
  17. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Yeah don't get me started on Oksana and her novice winning program.
    Thankfully we are only talking about the silver medalists. :p

I don't remember what Cohen's other mistake was besides sitting down on her 3/3.

They all had their mistakes/weaknesses but performance wise Slutskaya's was by far the worst for me. Cautious, clunky, and sloppy as usual. And the horrid choreography. Grabbing her head how many times? Just...no. I also don't think her 2006 LP was a meltdown. Didn't she double a flip and fall on the loop (her money jump)? Cohen's 2 falls were more glaring but her performance was way superior so that's why she got the silver.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  18. peibeck

peibeck Left in the Kiss-n-Cry

:rofl: I totally agree, that "Tosca" program had the WORST choreography and interpretation.

I do give props to Irina on doing some difficult transitions (like the turning threes into her loop) though. When she was on, her jumps were pretty amazing, even if (IMO) the rest of her skating was lacking.
  19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

She FELL on her first triple, and placed both hands down on her second triple (current COP rules would have called it a fall -1, but that time they only counted the first one as a fall).
  20. judgejudy27

Sasha wasnt that good a skater yet in 2002. Her Carmen was also not very well choreographed, and was mostly plain stroking between the elements, really no more choreography than even Slutskaya had. Had the Olympics been outside the U.S she would have finished 5th behind Suguri.
  21. Proustable

Proustable New Member

You think that Asada would've lost to Baiul? To Arakawa?
  22. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Sasha in 2006 is the reason I am here today. Her SP there was one of the most brilliant SPs ever skated (along with her 2004 Worlds SP and several of Yu Na Kim's) and while her LP was flawed, I have never seen another skater equal the level of emotion she brought to the last 4 minutes of it. I had never really watched skating before and I couldn't stop crying.
  23. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Urban legend.
  24. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

Michelle Kwan for me! My second choice is Nancy Kerrigan, who I'm normally not too big of a fan of, but she skated well in the 94 Olympics with a great triple/triple combo.
  25. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

That was in 2006. In your original post, it seemed like you were referring to 2002, where her only mistake was sitting down on the 3/3.

This. I'd watched skating on and off before, but it was Sasha's 2006 performances that really made me love the sport. Even with the falls, her LP that night was beautiful and memorable.
  26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Michelle will win this one by a landslide and rightfully so. Her program had everything: gorgeous choreography, seven solid triples, emotion and feeling...I thought she was brilliant. Had she skated after Tara, she'd have won gold; nearly all of those 5.9s would have been 6.0s.

Michelle's silver medal in Nagano was worth gold.

I'd say Sasha was 2nd best (hello, irony). :) I thought her SP was the class of the field, much better than anything anyone else turned in. Her LP was badly marred by her two opening jumps but she did finish strong. Add her artistry, extension, line and best spins in the world (at that time), I thought she earned her silver. I did not enjoy Shizuka's performances more than Sasha's but I agreed with Shizuka's win b/c she was able to put out a mostly error free program when everyone else was splatting all night...

In terms of a technical performance, Mao gets props for her two 3As...but that program was crap IMO. It doesn't hold a candle to Michelle or Sasha's performances.

As for Irina in 2002, great speed and spins, mostly good jumps...but that program was an eyesore. Terrible choreography, unappealing presentation...no bueno.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  27. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Thank you.
  28. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I never like watching sad silver medal Oly skates
  29. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

The performances that give me joy to watch over and over out of these are Midori's and Liz'. Liz was the more emotional performance and Midori's was the more technically proficient. Both made mistakes, but Midori's were for sure more obvious. Ultimately I prefer Midori's performance and voted for her. That 3-axel after the 3 minute mark is truly an iconic moment in the history of Figure skating :respec:
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Michelle didn't falter in 1998. As she said, she couldn't have done any better, she did her best, but her best wasn't good enough.
    That's why my vote goes to Michelle. The very best Silver medal, ever. :p
  31. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Liz did not make a mistake. Midori did, but as you wrote, her 3A after the 3 min mark was a moment I will never forget. That as in 1992. A lady did not land a 3A in the Olympics until 18 years later (Mao Asada). That tells us how special that was.
  32. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Mao should win this hands down.
  33. Amy03

Amy03 New Member

I totally agree, i think Mao's performance is the best olympics performance in figure skating history.... it has everything from technical difficulty to great artistry... i remember when i watched the 2010 olympics, i wasn't interestet in skating at that time, but the only memorable performance that simply didn't leave me, was Mao i just was sooooo amazed by her programs that her name just stuck in my head many days after, at the end i couldn't take it and began reading about her and watched all her previous performances... and it was thanks to her performances that i became interestet in figure skating, and actually love figure skating more then any other sport now.

and through i have watched most previous medalist at the womans olympics, it just never really gasped or gave the same amazement wow-factor that I get when i watched Mao that day, and that is why my absolute favourite program is Mao's stunning olympic performances!
  34. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  35. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Since this is a thread about Olympic silver medal, it HAS to be 2006. I never referred to her 2002 performance in this thread.
  36. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this. I agree that Mao skated beautifully, and with the two 3A's it had the technical difficulty too. I was not thrilled with her choice of music, but I have always loved her skating.
  37. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

Nope, it was 2002. Read the quote you referenced. The poster was comparing Slute's Tosca freeskate to Hughes, Cohen, etc. Or at least it did until she edited it. :lol:
  38. michiruwater

But you were quoting and commenting on a series of posts that were ONLY about 2002, and as you didn't date any of your opinions, it sounds like you are also only taking about 2002. This is the conversation you responded to:

Your response:

It sounds like, in the first half of your response, you are also talking about 2002. And this someone corrected you about Cohen's mistakes in 2002. If you don't want confusion, then you should be clear about what you're talking about, because honestly, even reading it now I could only figure out about half the performances you're meaning to reference. Irina in 2002 or 2006? Kwan in 1998 or 2002? Suguri in 2002 or 2006?
  39. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

OK, I get it. i am an idiot and should never start a thread or post on one.:mad:
  40. michiruwater

Yes, of course that is exactly what I meant.
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.