Favorite non-jump/spin move

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by purple skates, Jun 5, 2010.

1. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I love bauers, followed closely by change-edge spirals. For turns, I like rockers and counters - and choctaws and outside mohawks. Not that fond of brackets, though.

Anyone else?

I couldn't stand to see the closed thread pop up for this forum on the main menu and had nothing to add to the other threads, so I started this one. :shuffle:

2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

IB loops, and variations on the entrances and endings of said loops. I also really enjoy the bit at the end of a lesson where the skaters pay me. ;)

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I like rockers much more than counters. Not that I can do any of the backward ones at all.

BI loops are the only ones I'd consider putting in a program; no variations I'm afraid.

There's one change-edge spiral that I can do pretty well and enjoy. But I might as well do it with a rond de jambe as well for the one interesting/difficult variation I can do.

Interestingly enough, as a counterclockwise skater, I like the whirling threes (FI3, cross, BI3) from the novice MITF better clockwise than counterclockwise, because I'm rightfooted and I get to do the back three on my good foot that way. Not that I do them with anywhere near novice power. Also I can do outside mohawks better (or more quietly, anyway) clockwise than counterclockwise. So I made a clockwise circular step sequence for my bronze program to show off my multidrectional skating all at once. There's also a RFI rocker.

The advantage of doing this stuff in programs or for fun is you can pick and choose which directions and which edges you like best.

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm very proud of my right forward inside bracket. (Because I turn CW but I'm right side dominant)

Plus my coach thinks inside brackets (as compared to outside) are "the hard ones" and my level of skating shouldn't have me comfortable with any brackets, so she's always quite impressed. (I also have one very good counter, and one very good rocker... I really ought to work on collecting a set of some turn, rather than one of each.)

5. kayskate

kayskate New Member

Probably change edge swing roll. I love doing these all around the rink.

Kay
    www.skatejournal.com

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

LOL Running in place

7. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

outside spread eaglesssss

8. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

alternating mohawk out of layback ina bauer
    alas I splat half of the time though, but that's part of the fun! :)

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I saw one of the other skaters today (about 1/4 my age :) ) do a waist-high kick and then drop the free leg behind into a lunge, and then do the same entry into an Ina Bauer. It looks like fun. I want to work on that and see if I can make it look that good....

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

OE spread-eagles, and change of edge spiral--it's not pretty in that I can't stick my leg way in the air (though it's pass-level above my hip) but I can change the edge!

11. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

has to be change edge spirals

12. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I like tango stops that are done in an ina bauer position. The only ina bauer I'll ever do ;)

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

the move from the viennese waltz. When the guy is backward, "cross behind, cross ahead, change of edge". I love it.

14. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Another vote for Ina Bauers, spread eagles and change-edge spirals. I kinda like rockers, too.

15. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

I can't really do any jumps/spins (unless bunny hops count), but I love the stretchy feeling of lunges. The moment when the blade stops scraping and there's just a soft sliding sound... although I'm not so excited about the scratches said dragging is making on my boots. :)

16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Get some skate tape and put it on your boot. Keeps the polish from coming off.

17. waltz_jump

waltz_jump New Member

I really like doing Y spirals. I can do them on the floor no problem but it was only in the past year that I had the guts to try them out on ice :) I was really shaky in the beginning but in the end it is true that the faster you go, the easier they are. I am trying to do my catch foot (not biellmann) spiral now on ice but it is more difficult.

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Hm, there are three posters in this thread who have named themselves after jumps. Do we have any posters named after non-jump/spin moves?

I am so old and creaky that Y spiral = groin injury. I tried working on it a few years ago. Could get a decent position at the boards and was just getting brave enough to try it while moving -- position was more like an L than Y. But I had to give it up before I mastered it.

19. waltz_jump

waltz_jump New Member

^^

I was surprised this name wasn't taken yet! :lol:

I really want to learn the Biellmann spiral but i don't even know how to go about working towards the back/shoulder (?) flexibility for it. I dont know if age is a factor neither, the little kids I see seem to just be able to pull up from behind and that's it.

20. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Yes, very important if you're donig lunges or Ina Bauers! Although only an inch of the sole of my back boot comes in contact with the ice on my Ina Bauer, it has scraped enough to remove the waterproofing and allow water to seep in, so I re-waterproof and skate tape it several times a year.

21. Lilith11

Lilith11 New Member

Ina bauer. I adore this move, especially Shizuka's!

22. sk8lady

sk8lady New Member

Back hydroblades, inside and outside.

23. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

hard to decide...

steps you learn w/ the early ice dances, the swing rolls, progressives - those continue to be really fun. just the essence of gliding on ice and skating with a parter.

24. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Falling leaf. Sasha's is to die for. Trying to teach it to a CW skater, I look like a dork. I had one perfect blade mounting once in my life that allowed me to do the layback outside edge Bauer. Never been able to duplicate that mounting sadly.:wuzrobbed

25. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Hmmm I should also add shoot-the-duck, the dominant LFO one could nearly go all the way around the rink now. Coach is joking that the sit spin will be something to watch for, LOL fingers crossed.