Favorite Johnny Weir SP, FS and exhibition

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judiz, Sep 27, 2013.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I was wondering what are your favorite short program, free skate and exhibitions that Johnny has done during his competitive career?

For me, my favorites are:

Short program: The Swan

Free skate: Love is War

Exhibition: My Way and Unchained Medley.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Here are mine:

SP - The Swan
    LP- Dr.Zhivago (his first national title)
    Ex- Imagine, and very recently Schindlers list

3. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

SP - Yunona i Avos
    LP - Love is War (closely followed by Otonal)
    EX - Ave Maria

4. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

SP: Rondo Capriccioso
    FS: OtoƱal
    EX: Yunona i Avos

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Favorite Johnny Weir programs:

SP - Top fave: Rondo Capriccioso(classic iconic NHK performance especially); also love Johnny's Valse Triste, and the one of a kind ground-breaking, The Swan (His jumps were so effortless -- his Olympic performance was grand) -- also very memorable: 2003 Innocence/ Zydeko, and Umbrellas of Cherbourg

FP - Top fave: Dr. Zhivago followed by Otonal; I also enjoyed Love Is War(it seemed to harbinger stepping out into something new for Johnny with an upward trajectory, but the following year ended up as a downward trajectory)

Exhibitions - Top faves: Ave Maria and Heartbroken; sentimental favorite: Imagine; also the inimitable My Way (albeit it did inspire imitation by others in both music and costume); Nature Boy; Poker Face; Unchained Melody; All In Love Is Fair

All of Johnny's exhibitions are absolutely wonderful. He obviously excelled in exhibition performances (perhaps because he felt freer and able to improvise slightly and go with his emotions). Looking back I've mostly enjoyed Johnny's short programs and exhibitions more than his free skates (or more accurately long programs, which were not exactly free in the difficult and transitional CoP era during which Johnny competed).

6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I too love Otonal.

Recently I was blown away by his Schindlers list performance (on yt; I wish it was live in an arena)

7. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

My favourites?? WOW. There are so many.

For the SP, I LOVE "Yunona i Avos", (Worlds performance) followed by "Rondo Capriccioso" (I loved the TEB performance of this one!) and "The Swan" (Olympic performance) and "Valse Triste", (Worlds performance as seen through the eyes of British Eurosport..). Also in LOVE with "Schinder's List", and would have loved to have seen it somewhere near competition..

For the LP, it's a toss-up between "Love Is War", (probably my all time favourite Johnny performance was of this at US Nationals, where he CLEARLY beat Lysacek in the eyes of everyone except the judges. I think even Evan thought he should have lost that free skate!) and the beautiful, stunning and amazing "Otonal", again his US Nationals performance. Then, I adored Dr Zhivago. At US Nationals. again.

What?? No one has chosen the much maligned "Jesus"?? No one wants to give Jesus some love?? I actually liked "King of Chess", but thought it was like pushing the proverbial square peg you-know-where. Same with Jesus. Although when skated cleanly, Jesus was a masterpiece.

8. aftershocks

^^ Actually, in my above post, I too meant Johnny's TEB performance of Rondo Capriccioso is my favorite. Too bad he injured his foot and didn't skate RC well at Nationals and Worlds in 2005. The choreo and music (as well as his costume and skating) are iconic.

Did Johnny ever skate his "Jesus" program, Child of Nazareth cleanly? ITA that it's a beautiful program but Johnny has said his heart was never in that program for some reason. I think the choreo was wonderful but the jumps were not well laid out. Johnny didn't seem to ever feel comfortable during 2006-2007 season. I did enjoy his King of Chess sp because it was good music and he approached those performances with a lot of energy (and I think with a wink in his eye), re the effort to remake Johnny Weir in a macho image, as if he had to atone for daring to make waves and magic with The Swan.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

No, he never skated it clean, the closest was Nationals where he fell on the last jump. I agree that the jump placement was not laid out well, I blame the choreography or rather then choreographer. I had the impression Johnny was not into skating that season and it probably would had benefit him to take the year off to recharge his batteries after Torino. It wasn't a coincidence that he left his longtime coach Priscilla Hill after that horrible season.

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

My favorite SP : The Swan

favorite LP: Dr Zhivago

EX :Ave Maria

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The Rondo Capriccioso SP from the 40-05 season. His feet were magic.

12. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Valse Triste
    Love is War
    Ave Maria

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

So many choices.....

SP: I suppose I'll always remember him for The Swan, but Rondo comes close
    LP: It's a tie between two bookends: Dr. Zhivago and Fallen Angel - loved almost everything in between, too, but these two were extra special, especially since they both involved redemption of sorts
    Ex: I'm going to go with Fallen Angels Trio with Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov

14. aftershocks

^^ Ah yes, Fallen Angels Trio. Quite a wonderful, and uplifting exhibition. Those three (Denis, Melissa, and Johnny) made magic together and gave skating fans some unforgettable moments.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Bumping this thread up...

(Re-posting from GSD) Johnny's farewell to competitive skating in his own words: http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/
    http://instagram.com/p/f0E8CQBhW0/

16. jackson

jackson New Member

Short Program: Valse Triste and The Swan

Free Program: Otonal and Fallen Angel

Exhibition: Юнона и Авось and Bad Romance