Favorite IJS step sequences

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by gkelly, Sep 16, 2011.

1. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

We often complain that the new judging system forces skaters to include certain steps and upper body moves just to earn points and that the step sequences don't really contribute to the choreography in as organic a way as the best sequences used to under the 6.0 system.

Well, what are some exceptions? What are some step sequences from 2005 to the present that manage to transcend the quest for levels and tell a story or express the music or just show a pure joy in pure skating for its own sake.

A few of my favorites to start with:

Rosenthal 3:45

Overett

Lambiel 1:44 and 4:05

Abbott

Suzuki 3:45

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

What are your favorites?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yu Na Kim - Danse Macabre

Patrick Chan - Tango Exliados, Take Five, Phantom of the Opera (the second one in particular)

Daisuke Takakashi - Eye

Joannie Rochette - her 09/10 Tango

... I'll edit in the youtube videos later.

3. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Lambiel's Poeta program does it for me.
    It met the level requirements, but made me forget about it and just enjoy the performance.

For ladies, Yuna Kim's Dance Macabre and Tango de Roxanne.

Both skaters, IMO have ice dancer like abilities to express the music with their shoulders and necks while doing difficult turns and keeping up the speed . It has to require tremendous confidence in skating skills.

BTW, you got the wrong url for Lambiel's performance in your post.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  4. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Fumie Suguri, 2005 Four Continents SP (Admittedly, this is getting back to the old days...)

Shizuka Arakawa, 2006 Olympics SP

Kim Yu-Na, 2007 Worlds SP

Akiko Suzuki, 2009-10 Japanese Nats LP (I like this even more than the Olympic version.)

Rachael Flatt, 2010 US Nats LP (I prefer the Olympic version, but couldn't find it on YouTube.)

Akiko Suzuki, 2010 Four Continents SP

Mao Asada, 2010 Olympics SP

Daisuke Takahashi, 2010 Worlds LP

Patrick Chan, 2011 Worlds LP

and both sequences in Abbott's 2010 US Nats SP.

5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Fixed -- thanks.

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Here goes my list.

Stephane Lambiel

William Tell difficult music cut and rhythm to skate, only he can dance on ice with it.
    Poeta both step sequences are unbelievably amazing. You just have to watch the whole thing! I doubt any other male skaters could ever do justice to this flamenco music on ice as he did.

Jeffrey Buttle Adios Nonino Both circular and straight line sequences carried out succeedingly without losing speed is one thing, and his edge control and musicality here are second to none.

Patrick Chan
    Phantom of the Opera, Tango de los Exilados I was really happy to see Patrick's musicality finally has been met with his technical consistency because, you know, he's just got that it-factor on ice.

Yuna Kim
    Tango de Roxanne A little girl's pure joy of skating, it just shows.
    Danse Macabre I don't understand why this step sequence had never received level 4.
    Scheherezade The audience is showing and telling everything what I want to say about this step sequence:)
    Piano Concerto in F from the part where she lands the second lutz to the final element of the program, perfect flow and thrilling climax. She's just dancing on the ice!

7. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

There is much to not like for me (stopping/starting) with IJS footwork sequence but in general I love the illusion now added to get the shoulders below the hips (I think that is the reason). I've always love illusions, I forget what the forward outside one is called (something with camel in it, like the beginning of a star). But for the most part I don't enjoy IJS footwork as much as 6.0. Call me old-fashioned or whatever.

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Anything Takahashi does is genius.

9. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

Carolina Kostner has GREAT step sequences!

World 2008 sp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=497d5stpQS0 (2:28)

World 2007 sp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qSCT15IRpU&feature=related (0:58)

World 2009 sp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1tJ6H6JPig (2:26)

World 2010 lp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeghvtRR8-4 (3:36)

world 2011 sp and lp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaPvj1pcLQ&feature=related (2:04)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHzfiygvtU&feature=related (3:42)

I am with you on dai's steps and I also loved yuna's dance macabre one!
    I would like to add also daisuke steps from this year programs:
    mambo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgaZ5MFt_Ec&feature=related (2:05)
    tango: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opWW2Jdu4kg&feature=related (8:32)

I also loved Alissa Czisny steps on this year lp and rachael flatt East of Eden's one! AlsoTomas Verner 2007 lp and 2008 sp, jeremy abbot this year long and oda's charlie chaplin!

10. icellist

icellist Member

i wonder why no one's mentioned mirai's sp from last season. It was so fast and fluid on one leg.

11. miki88

miki88 New Member

Dai's step sequences are usually fantastic! Especially his Step sequence in CyberSwan.

I also really like Mao's step sequences in her Nocturne and Clair de Lune SPs.

But generally, I prefer the simplicity and fluidity seen in the older system.

12. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

My other favorites have been mentioned (Kostner, Lambiel). Here are some others that I like:

(linked directly to the step sequence part of the program)

Mao Asada's 2011 Four Continents version of her Liebesträume LP

Jeffrey Buttle's intense footwork for Ararat in 2008 Worlds

Daisuke Takahashi's Hip Hop Swan Lake SP

Takahiko Kozuka's Take Five SP from 2008-2009

Yannick Ponsero's 2007 Worlds SP to In the Mood for Love

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yannick Ponsero from his 09/10 Olympic SP as well.

Jeremy Abbott's from his Olympic programs.

14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Great picks! Haven't seen Overett's, but the others are exactly what I would've picked, especially Rosenthal's!

Another two favourites of mine:
    Lambiel's 10 LP cist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4k2Eu7kpAU 1:49-2:27. Would've included the final serpentine sequence but unfortunately he fell during it. I think those two are the two step sequences since the inception of IJS that were truly choreographed to the music and true to the character of the program without showing ANY hint of working the COP.

Sandhu's 2003 Tango SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEhCDXEyDCE. But this was from the earlier days of COP. There aren't so many changes of edges that go on forever or stops and goes in it, but still wonderfully complex and musical IMO.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  15. Proustable

Proustable New Member

16. Louise

Louise Banned Member

This IJS footwork is probably the biggest complaint I have with skating right now. I dread when most skaters get to the side of the rink and I know it's coming. I usually FF through it if I'm watching on tape.

However, pretty much any footwork sequence that Jeremy Abbott, Patrick Chan, or Daisuke Takahashi perform I am in lurve with. They don't just swat bees for the sake of it (listening Rachael?) or have such over the top arm movements and dips (I thought it was FOOTWORK?!?).

I cannot think of one female skater whose FW sequence transcends the silly requirements. It's like "Oh god, here's 40 seconds of my life I will never get back...".

I clearly don't understand why a STRAIGHTLINE fw sequence is allowed to go in many little circles, all laboring to get to the other side of the rink. Straightline means to me at least "in a straight line". All these circles and ovals and backtracking and stops and arm waves and arm thrusts just kill the footwork sequence for me.

Give Chan, Abbott and Takahashi maximum scores and the rest, all -3.

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Not even Akiko Suzuki? :(

Well, straightline step sequences that hew strictly to a straight line tend to be skated on flats rather than edges, so clearly that's not what the sport wants to encourage.

But they could require a single recognizable straight-line axis from end to end or corner to corner that curves and loops consistently return to, or a recognizable serpentine axis for the smaller lobes to loop around.

I do miss clear serpentine step sequences, which tended to be my favorite in the 6.0 days.

We'll see whether any senior men decide to show off flashy quick steps on flats in a very straight line like old-school step sequences for their choreo step sequence, since they don't have to worry about earning levels on those, just GOEs.

Give Chan, Abbott and Takahashi maximum scores and the rest, all -3.[/QUOTE]

18. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMTsQVeb3Q&feature=related

Jeremy's footwork in his "Life is Beautiful" program was superb, an expression of the music and character. I especially loved this version early in the season, when the circular step sequence ended in a double axel. (Universal doesn't have the whole program, but the steps are there.)

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Both of Daisuke Takahashi's sequences from "The Eye" SP are just exquisite. :swoon:

20. shine

shine Well-Known Member

While many complain that COP has made step sequences meaninglessly complicatedand lacking creativity in an attemp to garner points, but IMO it has also encouraged skaters to work on their basics and improve whole-body usage in general. Before COP, while a few were actually creative and choreographed well, many of the steps before COP were very flat and basic, so basic that you would hardly recognize it as a step sequence by today's standards. Edges were seldom used, much less complex turns like choctaws, counters, rockers etc. That is why you see some top skaters in the pre-COP era having difficulties adapting to what is required to score well under COP (Plushenko, Kwan etc). I think overall COP has made skating besides jumps more demanding, and raised the general level of step sequences by quite a bit. Of course, the truly great ones are still few and far between, since it takes a lot from both the choreographer and skater to create a step sequence that not only meets the difficulty level and done well to get points under COP but also is original and musically meaningful, but nevertheless IMO in general the step sequences today are more interesting to watch than before.

That said, I am no lover of step sequences that go back and forth and just drag on forever for no other reason than gaining more points and levels. Skaters need to be careful not to get there. And as for your last statement, well, that is quite a daring generalization.

21. periperi

periperi New Member

I think Takahiko Kozuka's footwork is way more deserving than a -3! :angryfire

;)

22. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

23. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Haha, yeah I know there are other great skaters, Kozuka among them (he is one of my faves). I was exaggerating. But I would say that most of the SL FW makes me uncomfortable and anxious, like just get this awful thing over with. It's like a bad uncentered poorly positioned spin that goes on for 40 seconds. Eventually you just have to look away until it's over.

24. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I'd like to see a time limit, like the rule for ice dance lifts, to encourage faster footwork.

25. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I don't like the pause- time for steps now motion. Steps take forever. I wish there was such a thing as straight line step sequences. There is no such thing anymore. There are some classics of SLSS.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Hopefully after having to sit through Leonova's SP sequence, the ISU is going to impose it from next season.

Because it really is getting ridiculous.

27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Should there be different time limits -- and also different base marks -- for straight-line, circular, and serpentine?

Or should we just accept it as a fait accompli that straight-line and serpentine are now the same thing and set a time limit that will allow a full serpentine without a lot of extra subloops?

28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

ITA! :respec: It just makes me want to rip off my monitor! That's one of reasons I was so frustrated watching top ladies from last season.. :rolleyes:

well clearly I can't be totally impartial on this but on the top of my head, Kim's Danse Macabre, Concerto in F?

29. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, from the ladies, my favorite is probably Carolina Kostner's from this past LP :

Carolina's Afternoon of a faun (right after the fabulous spiral sequence)

Stephane Lambiel and Patrick Chan are my favorite male skaters when it comes to step sequences.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think there is no need to make serpentine extra longer like there is with the straight line.

The pattern itself is long enough to do all the footwork for Lv3/4.