1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Father Sues Skating Coach for Not Giving his Daughter More Lesson Time

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by overedge, Jul 24, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Of course he does...

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wow, he sounds like a total nightmare

4. skaterboi

skaterboi New Member

Also says the BOD of Black Hills FSC voted 29-0 to kick him out of the club.

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

What a disgrace. "a natural, with Olympic qualities"? EVERY parent thinks their kid is good enough for the Olympics. So few actually are. The coach probably didn't have any extra time, especially if we're talking a small rink in a small city.

I think what's even more telling is that the daughter has had FOUR different coaches since the breakup with the first one.

6. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Sounds like a parent who can't handle that their kid isn't the center of everyone else's universe.

7. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

"if we're talking a small rink in a small city" Don't know anything about the size of the rink but Rapid City is reasonably sized (population of 70,000)and despite this story, one of the friendliest places I've ever visited - had a great time and met a lot of wonderful people. The parent in this sounds like a genuine nightmare.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  8. misskarne

misskarne #408

70,000 is definitely a small city IMO. My city is bigger than that and it's classified as small.

9. Willowway

I guess it's all in how you look at it - I live in a village of 7,600 people about 35 minutes away from a city of 8 million (NYC) but I don't think Rapid City is that small. It's certainly not large.

10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

All he had to do was ask to see her schedule, if she truly had no free time to spare for additional training, he could had moved his daughter to another coach as many eltie skaters have done. If the coach did lie about not having time, then the father would know this is not the coach for his daughter and time to move on.

11. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

I don't think I've ever heard of a coach being asked to show their schedule to a parent, or to a skater for that matter. It's not really anyone else's business, and for most of the coaches I know, their schedule would change from week to week or even day to day depending on e.g. which skater was going to be there or not, or whether some skaters needed more time than others (like before a competition). If the parent doesn't trust the coach enough to believe what the coach says about their availability, then the parent probably shouldn't be hiring that coach.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Willowway

Overedge - comment is right on point.

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Psycho skating parents - they are the ones you want out of the sport.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

This happens when 'competition rears its ugly head'. I think it's happening quite a lot lately in Australia too ... you hear of parents behaving menacingly towards coaches, teachers, their children's competitors and fellow parents, not to say that the other parties are always right. One of my colleague gives free coaching on circus gymnastics, and had complained that sometimes parents are harder to handle than their kids!

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The father sounds like a jerk - I feel sorry for the young skater who has to deal with the expectations and unpleasantness (and yes, I agree that her having four coaches since then is telling) and for the coach who had to waste her time and money because of him.

I see that the trial took place two months ago and ended in a mistrial, I guess it's too much to hope that he'll just drop it?

16. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

The thing is, especially in a "small city", he's going to run out of coaching options very quickly. I can't imagine many coaches would line up for the opportunity to work with this family. I know I wouldn't. You feel for the skaters, because it's not their fault, but sometimes you just have to distance yourself from these situations.

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

So if I feel in danger from someone, if I file a protective order, they can sue me for libel? That's pretty scary, actually.

18. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

19. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think it is small when you think of the populations needed to support a skating rink. A quick Google search yields only one skating rink and one skating club in the town (plus two arenas with NHL size ice). If there is only the one training rink, the family didn't have other local options for coaching.

I'm sure these aren't the first parent to move for the sake of the child's training, but it is usually for a rink with a bigger program and bigger name coach. Makes you wonder what went wrong between them and the Pierre SD coach to make them move to RC in the first place.

I really feel most for the two little girls. They probably liked their coach and now feel caught in the crossfire. I blame Mom. She should long since have stood up and told her bully husband to knock it off. How the duaghters' feel is way more important than his ego.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013