Fascinating Compulsory Figures Video

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Dr.Siouxs, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Wow.. so smooth and the tracings are perfect in shape.

3. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for sharing, siouxdonym. That brings back memories of watching the Olympics in the 70's and 80's. It always fascinated me how some of the skaters managed to stay so calm while doing compulsory figures.

4. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Poor Midori Ito. :(

5. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

An excellent video! The person commentating is enough to drive you though. "Notice the posture... notice the edge... notice the three turn... notice the notice.." haha. Beautiful figures by Karen & really nice to see the tracings so clearly.

6. Capella

Capella Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Amazing! Yes, precision is the word. And they not only to 'draw' a perfect design, but to skate over the same line. Really take lots of patience to practise and master these skills. And some of those designs shown on the vid are simply simply gorgeous.:swoon:

I don't think casual fans realise how important these 'ice tracings' are in the figure skating competitions. Unfortunately, they only see the jumps and spins. Figures is becoming a lost art and skill. I truly now appreciate the beauty of these 'figures' and the amount of time and effort to perfect these skills.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Agreed. I know it won't happen, but I'd rather figures come back and MITF be banished forever. :p

The funny thing is: quads and triple axels were happening for the men during the figures era. And at the same time, triple axels, 3-3s and 7 triple programs happened for the ladies as well. And some of the best spinners ever competed during the figures era. So where are we now?

9. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

10. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Very cool!

11. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

I found the paragraph loop segment really relaxing to listen to. :shuffle:

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  12. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

13. floskate

floskate Vacant

I agree the narration would get on my last nerve very quickly. Interesting video and it's nice to see there are instructional materials still out there, although I think I would learn more seeing the figures done on clean ice from scratch rather than just retracing. And skateboy is right - bring back figures for testing! I was very glad to hear in Alex Johnson's recent interview with TSL that Tom Dickson has him doing figures all the time. You can really see the benefits in his skating.

14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Agree that MITF should be banned. As someone who did both MITF and figures, figures are better.