Family Skating Tribute show - Nov. 3, 2013 in University Park, PA (Nov. 24 on NBC)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Penn State news article: http://news.psu.edu/story/273885/20...ra-evans-top-figure-skaters-bring-family-show
    Also scheduled to appear:
    Kurt Browning
    Paul Wylie
    Todd Eldredge
    Michael Weiss
    Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval
    John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana

This Disson Skating show will be sponsored again by Musselman's Apple Sauce.

2. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

This is early to announce one of these shows. I like it, gives you a little time to decide and make plans. Would love to see John Zimmerman and his baby. Are there any new pictures of her?

3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thank you! Hoping we can make the trip for this one! That would make up for the Family Skating Tribute that was supposed to take place in Atlantic City last fall but was moved to Phoenix, AZ due to Hurricane Sandy.

4. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Of all the Disson skating shows, I always enjoy this one the most. It's fun to see the skaters with their young uns.

5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I was hoping that it would be in Atlantic City. I actually won 4 tickets to that event..Then came #SANDY.

6. paskatefan

Ditto!

7. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

By the time this takes place John Zimmerman will have two babies! I heard Silvia is expecting again, this summer I believe :) So happy for them!

8. lulu

lulu New Member

Congratulations to them! :)

9. paskatefan

Oh, that's fabulous news! :cheer: :encore:

10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Congrats to John and Silvia.

11. Sylvia

12. Sylvia

Bumping this up to re-post ticket info:
    Family Skating Tribute - event page: http://www.dissonskating.com/our-shows/musselmans-apple-sauce-family-skating-tribute-2013/
    Live Show
    Sunday, November 3, 2013
    Time: 5:00 p.m.
    Pegula Ice Arena (at Penn State University)
    University Park, PA
    Scheduled Skaters: Gordeeva, Kulik, Wylie, Browning, Eldredge, Weiss, Brasseur/Marval, Fontana, Zimmerman

NBC Airdate
    Sunday, November 24, 2013
    4:00 – 6:00 PM EST
    Check your local listings!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  13. paskatefan

We're going! This will in part make up for the Family show that was supposed to take place in Atlantic City last November until Hurricane Sandy changed all that, & the show was moved to Phoenix.

14. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

So great to see Todd in a televised show! A chance to see him skate.
    (Sucks to be a fan of a skater closing on retirement and having to rely on some kind soul to record something from club shows and post on youtube :() So yay! for this event.

15. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Wish it was in Atlantic City so I could go (to make up for last year). Alas, the location is out of the way for me (no train stop).

16. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Where's the nearest airport ?

17. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

There's an airport in State College, PA.

18. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Thank-you, State College is larger than I imagined. Not sure if things will fall into place to go, but maybe. Count yourself lucky if your other half or friends like skating enough to travel and spend $$ to see a show.

19. Sylvia

Bumping this thread up in case anyone attending today's show feels like sharing some thoughts/impressions/highlights afterwards!

20. MelissaG

MelissaG New Member

I just came back from the show. I loved it!!! It was wonderful to see all the skaters showing off their kids, they sure had a lot to be proud off. The show started with Sara Evans singing while the skaters were introduced, among them: Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie, Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval, John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana, Naomi Lang, Irina Slutskaya, Katia Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik. However, the first solo number was Steven Cousins' (this was his only number). All the other skaters performed at least 2 numbers (Katia and Ilia had 2 numbers with their daughter and 1 solo each). Also, Michael Weiss (who was the host along Kristi Yamaguchi) performed a number sang by his daughter. Now, the performances I remember the most: Paul Wylie's Olympic Games number (performed with his wife and children), Kurt Browning's French restaurant number (those kids were so cute, they outshine dad), the two Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval's performances (their daughter is wonderful), Katia Gordeeva's performing Carmen, and the last number performed by Katia, Ilia, and their daughter.
    After the show I went to the Meet & Greet session, I was able to get autograph and pictures of most of the skaters. Everybody was really nice and welcoming but I have to say, Kurt Browning was the best, he has a way to make you feel at ease and comfortable. Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval were also very warm and friendly, Isabelle even made sure that I got a good photo and had the patience to wait until I did. Paul Wylie was also very humble and approachable, I didn't realize he had his mouth full when I started talking to him so he apologized for not answering right a way, he was funny, he said something about being really hungry.

21. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Thanks for the report! Post long and often!

22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a wonderful experience. So glad for those who got to go!

23. Sylvia

Backstage group photo (Marval, Brasseur, Wylie, Yamaguchi, S. Cousins, Gordeeva, Kulik, Zimmerman) via Kristi Y: http://instagram.com/p/gSA19XkvRh/

Thanks for sharing, MelissaG!

24. MelissaG

MelissaG New Member

25. Sylvia

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

27. Sylvia

Gabriella Marvaldi (daughter of Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval). She competed at the Juvenile level in singles this season (like Liza Kulik) and will compete in Novice Pairs at Eastern Sectionals later this month.

28. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

The girls are similar in size and appear close in age. The quality of their skating makes me feel very good about the future of competitive skating, should they decide to remain in the sport. Loved seeing Gabriella and Liza on the ice together.

29. paskatefan

The live show was excellent. I was particularly impressed with Paul Wylie's "You've Got a Friend in Me" & Kurt's "Cats in the Cradle" programs. Other highlights were Paul & family's Winter Olympic Tribute, Katia & Ilia's individual programs. Gabby & Lizaveta are very talented (Liza is also an articulate young lady in how she announced the skaters & their kids). I just hope NBC does justice to all the skaters& their adorable kids during the actual broadcast on11/24.

30. Sylvia

130 photos from the show: http://www.flickr.com/photos/disson_skating/sets/72157637603352095/with/10823723834/

Cute backstage videos!

Liza Kulik (daughter of Ekaterina Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik) and Gabriella Marvaldi (daughter of Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval) play games with Sofia Zimmerman (daughter of Silvia Fontana and John Zimmerman).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kek2INsiFBQ

Hannah Wylie (daughter of Paul Wylie) and Lillia Besedin (daughter of Naomi Lang) perform "The Cups Song" from "Pitch Perfect" during rehearsals of Musselman's Family Skating Tribute at Pegula Ice Arena.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4eO8kz20J4

NBC Airdate
    Sunday, November 24, 2013
    4:00 – 6:00 PM EST
    Check your local listings!