"Family Guy" to host Oscars

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Tesla, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I can see that this is obviously a move to get the kidz to watch.....but I suspect a lot of people (especially outside of North America) will be going "Who?" and not bothering to tune in.

3. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

The Oscars hosts have been spotty over the past couple of years and I'm not surprised to see they're still trying to find the right fit. They're obviously looking to attract a younger audience and IMHO, this is definitely a better move than the Anne Hathaway/James Franco debacle.

Seth MacFarlane is crazy talented and is pretty funny. I think this could work.

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm far from being a fan of Family Guy. That said, I think his type of random referential humor that takes away from actual plot and plays on pop culture nostalgia will work really well in the award show format.

5. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

I didn't like him when he hosted Saturday Night Live. Overall, he wasn't all that amusing, and he wore out his welcome with some racially insensitive remarks.

:yawn:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This will be interesting. I really like Seth McFarlane.

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

8. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

9. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

The smiley equivalent of "Giggity". :p

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. walei

walei Well-Known Member

TED was a pretty big hit internationally so they will probably attach that to Seth to promote the event.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be honest and say that I am ridiculously, over-the-top excited about this. I think Seth's an absolutely fantastic choice.

12. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I couldn't agree more. Love him!

13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I knew of Seth McFarlane but hadn't watched his shows before seeing him host SNL. He's really talented at voices but I can tell he mostly does voice work because his teleprompter reading was realllllllly obvious, and his pacing for a live show wasn't good. For these reasons, I think this is a poor choice.

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. He's super good at improvisation; he's shown that over and over. I hope they don't force him to stick to a lame script when off-script would be so, so much better.

15. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

considering that the Oscars have a history of running well over time, I would guess that a script is part of the deal.

I would not have guessed at his improvisational prowess based on the SNL gig, either :shuffle:

but hey! at least it's not Ricky Gervais! Or Billy Crystal!

17. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:shuffle:My kids watch Family Guy...:slinkaway But they are very well aware that it isn't real or appropriate. :D

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

He is actually a gifted writer, he can't do worse than the previous hosts.

As long as he attends the rehearsals :)

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It's the Oscars. They will.

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think they're trying to draw a younger crowd and I admit, I'm tempted to watch. I'm a huge Seth Macfarlane junkie. I love Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, the movie Ted was hilarious and I even have his album, Music is Better Than Words (it's a wonderful album BTW, especially if you're into big band music a la Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc.).

His is a particular kind of humor though I'd imagine they will force him to keep it on the cleaner/less offensive side. He's a multi-talented guy so I'm sure he'll do a decent job but honestly, the Oscars are hella boring to me. Pretty much all awards shows bore me to tears...I can't recall the last one I watched...

21. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I approve! :)

I adore Seth MacFarlane and I LOVE Family Guy. I really like that SM pushes the envelope and doesn't try to be PC. His humor isn't for the easily offended, but he is a very, very talented man. Easy on the eyes as well. Giggity!

Although, obviously the format of the Oscars really isn't going to let Seth be Seth and he may not work well off a teleprompter with jokes that aren't his. We'll see. But this'll get me to watch the Oscars for the first time in years.

Kwanatic, I have his album too and I love it!!

22. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I am hoping they will have a :kickass: song and dance number to start the show.

23. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I don't get family guy. At all. People keep insisting to me that it's funny, I've watched several episodes (with people who were laughing) but it's left me completely bewildered. I do have a sense of humour I swear! :lol: Blackadder is one of my staples, I love Arrested Development, I can practically recite a couple of Eddie Izzard's shows... I even like weird stupid things like the Mighty Boosh. But I haven't even gotten a chuckle out of Family Guy. It just seems dumb to me. I feel like I'm missing out on some sort of cultural phenomenon since everyone seems to love it :huh:

24. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You should watch the episode of South Park where they totally parody (and criticize mercilessly) the show. It was pretty much on point.

25. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

My dream host would be Seth Meyer.

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It's not for everyone. It's crude, offensive, gross and sometimes just down right stupid, but I totally get that kind of humor. :) It's socially conscious too which is why it gets the attention it does. They touch on social, political and global issues that are relevant to society; if you pay attention you see that they slide a soapbox in there every now and then. The only thing is it's in a cartoon format with an idiotic legally retarded overweight man, an alcoholic intensely liberal dog, and a matricidal and potentially homosexual British baby. :lol:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I really think it depends in when you grew up, he spoofs so many things from my childhood and teens.. I can't stop laughing. My kids laugh too, they just don't understand why it's funny, so I laugh at them laughing. :lol:

28. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

McFarlane's appeal to foreign markets isn't a major factor in their decision to have him as host. The US networks pretty much only care about US ratings. Relatively speaking, the money they get from overseas sales of this broadcast is nice, but not vital, when compared to the dollars they get from the ads run during the US broadcast.

29. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I'm with you. I find it vulgar and annoying and just not funny. If they want to be socially conscious and have a soap box, fine, but it can be done without the tastelessness.