Families Giving back loses Tax exempt status

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sedge, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  2. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Yeah, Tara, you might say that. Wow. :eek:

3. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Wow! If this is true, it's just beyond sad. In addition to the skating "stars" participating in the shows (& who knew they got "consulting fees"? they were always described as volunteering to "support the cause"), there were always large children's numbers. Those kids & their families paid money to audition for the show, to be in it, to buy tickets and so on. Taking money from kids & not distibuting to beneficiaries? Not filing returns? Um, lots of explaining to be done, even with large expenses associated with the venues for the shows.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Oh boy. What I'd like to know is what happened to the other three-hundred and some thousand dollars. :shuffle:

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

In the comments someone says Tara M should go to jail for using the word "ginormous" :lol:

Ugh, I looked on Guidestar and their mission statement is terrible.

"911 Families Give Back aims to promote awareness of September 11th, 2001. Specifically we teach children in a family friendly manner, to never forget what happened on that day and those who sacrificed so much."

That doesn't say that they are giving money to anyone, it's just a vague promise to teach kids about 9/11.

I hope there will be more information about this.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

It doesn't say that it was the performers that got "consulting fees" - it could have gone to PR/advertising, or fees for lighting, arena rental, event staffing, etc. Generally, when skaters do charity shows, their travel and accomodations, transportation, food, etc, are paid for. Whether they receive fees depends on the agreements they negotiate. I would hope that they would not have insisted on performance fees for something like this, but who knows.

In any event, this is pretty bad. yeah, I would like to know what happened to the money - if Tara never took anything, where did it go? I can't imagine all of the money they raised over 9 years went to show expenses.

And did anyone else notice Johnny being described as an Oly champion? And then a bronze medalist (didn't say Worlds)? :lol:

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The article is poorly written. The consulting fees may not have gone to the skaters. I think the skaters were named as those who had travel fees. And what the heck is going on with weir's credentials? And is he involved in this? Or just a way to make his agent relevant to readers?

I'd like more information. But what a mess.

Eta: oops, Debbie S beat me to it.

8. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

I think the mission statement was changed to this vague one when the name change was done, but might be wrong about that. I do hope this isn't the way this sounds.

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

And so she should!

10. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Phil Hersh, where are you? Get on this story.

11. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I went to the first SS and S in Madison Square Garden in NYC, it was a great show..

But I never remember Michelle Kwan doing any of them.

12. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I went to the first show, too. Sasha and Nancy were the headliners. I don't believe MK ever did any of the shows.

Some more has been added since the article was first posted:

Creative excuses. If the point of the show was to raise money for charity, and all it did was fund the show, then what was the purpose of having the show to begin with? I'm sure the parents of the kids (and the elite skaters and ticket-buying public) didn't put their time and money toward the show just to be in a show. They could do that at their home club/rink. What a lying piece of work.

13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Having met her now a few times, and to be diplomatic not bring impressed for reasons I'll keep to myself, somehow I'm sadly not surprised. But I will say the shows I've witnessed the skaters she hired/auditioned were always treated well, so I'm sure the athletes themselves were compensated properly. but for years to go by with bad taxes? Oy.

She does put on great shows. I've been to several. But it makes me wonder where the money goes.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  14. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I think Johnny was mentioned because it made Tara relevant to readers as newspapers find Johnny's name as newsworthy. I'm sure Johnny's only involvement is skating in the shows. In one of his episodes of BGJW, Johnny mentioned that Tara made him promise he would appear in the show even though Galina did not want him to skate in any shows prior to the grand prix events. Galina showed up at rehearals and the look on Johnny's face was priceless.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

errrrrrrr. . . I bet there are some skaters who are glad to no longer be repped by Modlin.:slinkaway :shuffle:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  16. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Well I doubt Johnny will be dropping Tara, Johnny unfortunately seems to blur the relationship between business and personal and Tara has become his confidant and friend.

17. Capella

Capella Guest

I'm not sure if I am mixing up my shows, but didn't Kate Gosselin emcee one year? She couldn't have been cheap. :shuffle: And one of the Real Housewives?

Sort of unrelated, but here's a New York Times article about Tara Modlin as one of the original Rent-a-Russian girls.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what kind of "consultant" is needed to put on a ice show - since skating clubs seem to manage shows entirely with volunteers - but I find it hard to believe that even if a consultant was needed, it was necessary to pay them a six-figure salary for an ice show that happened once a year. Especially since a lot of the work beyond the show that was envisioned or promised - e.g. education, scholarships - never happened.

And if someone is getting paid a six-figure salary as a "consultant" while the accountant is (apparently) a volunteer....that's just ridiculous.

19. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

PeterG, Capella and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

Oh, this is bad.

21. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Not just bad! With no tax papers having been filed, not only has the group's tax free status been removed, but it's likely IRS Investigators now have them under further investigation for multiple violations of tax law.

Johnny may not wish to sever his relationship with Tara, but he would be smart to do so at this point!

22. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Oh dear.

I believe Tara represents quite a few other people besides Johnny. They should all sever their professional relationships, and fast.

23. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Who does she still have? Mroz? I feel for him- Tom Z for a coach and Tara as an agent.
    Rachael and her folks are looking pretty smart-they dumped Tara over a year ago. Abbott never made an announcement, but didn't he also go?

24. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Pretty sure she still has Agnes, Ashley, and Armin besides Mroz and Johnny. I have no idea if she still has Jeremy.

25. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS New Member

OMG, This off season is unbelievable. I just love you guys! :watch:

26. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Does the USFS have oversight over eligible skaters' agents? If so, maybe a ban of Tara Modlin/Fireworks ought to be considered -- e.g., no contracts will be approved if Modlin/Fireworks is involved.

27. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

What an interesting article. I didn't even know Tara Modlin was a skater.

I Googled just the word "Boundoukin" and found this link!
    http://www.taramodlindmitriboundoukin.uzbeba.com/

Puzzling to say the least! It must be a free website with minimal info about the actual subject and odd Russian real estate deals taking up the bulk of the space ... right?

Anyway, sad news to hear. Ugh. I hate when this kind of stuff happens.

28. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Ugh, as if the economy wasn't doing enough to weaken philanthropy!

THIS is one more reason why people either are wary of or just don't give to charities. We almost never know how much, if any, of our giving is going to the needy.

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I don't know enough about this situation to comment on these shows, but this article really makes me appreciate people like Michael Weiss, Sean Rabbit and Tanith and Ben who work/worked really hard at their charity shows to keep the costs down. I know Mike puts the skaters up at his house, and Sean's dad worked with his employer to cover transportation. These kinds of costs can really add up.

I do understand how hard it is to put on a show and that often the organizers aren't professionals who may not have a lot of experience. But it is important for anyone who receives money in connection with a charitable cause to do their best to keep the focus on the cause.

30. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I would dispute this assertion. First, there are two great online resources -- Charity Navigator and Guidestar -- that provide quite a bit of information about what charities are doing with their money. Second, many reputable charities post their 990's online. It's really not that hard to do a little research.

Matryeshka, Cheylana, PeterG and 3 others like this.