Fallout from Jeopardy Kid's Spelling Error Ruling

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Video - Kid loses Jeopardy after misspelling CORRECT answer
    CNN - Social media howls over 12-year-old's errant 't' on 'Jeopardy!'
    USATODAY - http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/08/05/jeopardy-kid-will-learn-life-lesson-suck-it-up/2618631/

Is this a commonly known rule for Jeopardy? All they have to do is find one episode where someone misspelled the final round answer and was given credit and they lose credibility on this ruling.

Not sure why there has been THIS much protest about this on social media. Even if this kid had spelled it correctly or was given credit for "Emanciptation", he still would have lost by $54,000.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Do contestants on Jeopardy keep their money even if they don't win, like on Wheel of Fortune? Or do you have to win the episode in order to win your money? If the kid wouldn't have won any money then it really isn't an issue and they may have been more lenient if they knew it would have taken away the win and lots of money. If they have been consistent and no one has EVER won with a mis-spelled word then they are only following their own rules. I thought I have seen people abbreviate before, though, so that doesn't seem much different.

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Episode I saw today had a woman write "waitin for Godot" instead of "waiting" and her answer was not accepted.

I'm guessing they are consistent with this and it is in the rules that the contestants see before appearing or they wouldn't be saying that it is a longstanding rule.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It looks more like a "typo" than a spelling error to me. The word isn't even pronounceable with the extra "t" and the spelling was correct otherwise. Too bad he didn't take a second to proof what he wrote before displaying his answer.

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Usually second and third get a preset amount. In these tournaments, They usually get what they earn.

6. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

The boy won a flat $2,000 for second place. Had he gotten credit for the Final Jeopardy answer, he would have gotten....a flat $2,000.

I think the boy was just embarrassed that his answer had been deemed wrong. Alex didn't help by callously adding that his answer had been "badly misspelled," when it really hadn't. The boy probably would have like to at least finish the show on a high note, having nailed Final Jeopardy, even if the ultimate win was mathematically out of reach.

Still, going to the media to complain he had been "screwed" (especially when it wouldn't have changed the final results) makes him look very ungracious and silly.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The teacher was embarrassed, too, but she's not 12.